What kind of books do you read?

isupreme

I love to read and I am curious what other RenX players read.

EDIT:   I dont know why but i am having trouble posting pics.   My intent was to show a pic of book but i cant.  

My election waiting read is:    Franklin and Washington.   Published this year, it is an easy read.  I never knew they were so connected.

My new Exciting read is:    Billy Bud, sailor.  by Herman Melville who wrote Moby Dick.

Edited by isupreme
frustration
  • Like 1

I love war books.

First person recounts of soldiers and the horrific stuff they went through brings a whole new perspective to life. I don't read these books just to hear about awful things, it is just interesting to hear the truth and how people ended up coping with situations that are worse than death. Vietnam books are especially a good read because the American soldiers are faced with the odds stacked heavily against them (which you learn comes almost entirely from the US military structure, bureaucracy, and especially politics). One book I can't recall the name of had navy seals about to strike a compound where the highest ranking commanders of the VC were, but ultimately were forced to cancel the mission hours before the strike because the command structure decided to continue the truce of the Lunar new year. Then the Tet offensive happened and it was a downhill ride from there. From reading these books it can be said that the war could have been won if the command structure was ran by more competent leaders, politics was absent from decisions, and America had a stronger desire to actually go on the offensive. But I am getting on a tangent.

I implore you to check out these two books as they are crazily badass and a great read if you want to check out the Vietnam era:

Line Doggy

Very easy read (grammatically, NOT IN PLOT)

First person recount of the men that were dropped off by chinooks in enemy territory and the horrible things they went through. Great place to start for the Vietnam era.

Line Doggie: Foot Soldier in Vietnam: Charles Gadd: 9780671662431:  Amazon.com: Books

Aeroscouts

First person account of the scout chopper pilots in Vietnam. Scout choppers would be sent to seek out Charlie platoons. The pilots job was to literally be shot at so that they can radio for the cavalry (cobras and huey convoys) to rain Hell down on the enemies location. This kind of work makes the author completely numb to the thought of death as he is shot down multiple times and forced to evade VC ground patrols on several occasions.

Amazon.com: Aeroscouts (9781476798561): Holley, Charles: Books

G̵̘̃͜ͅỌ̶̦̥̱͕̌̆̒̀̉̈́͝ ̷̨̼̺̑̏͗̈́R̶̞͆̀͐͝Ẻ̸͍̖̘̼͕̥͈̾͌͒̕Ȁ̷̦͚͇̰̭̭ͅD̷̡͉̲͚̈̒͗̓͑͝ ̵̨̰͖̙͎͚̜͠Ṱ̵̒̂Ĥ̸̨̙̟̣͎̈́͊͐́E̸̘̦̺̐̏͐̿͛̕͠ͅM̸̧̳͚͎̹̳̜̈́̆̏͗̑͑́ ̵̗̠̱͚̰̜̞̿͝N̵̜̹̈́̽O̴̜͚̪̤̦͑͠W̴̨̮̭̦̮͌

Apollos,   I don't usually read detective novels, but I do from time to time.   If you run across a really good one, hollar and I will look for it at the library.

Tytonium,  Not quite a war book, but i just finished

Sam Colt and the Six-shooter That Changed America

by Rasenberger, Jim

It was a pleasant read that really informed me about the early days of American expansion into the west.   I never realized  how important a repeating weapon was to those times. 

I'm currently reading this book by Douglas Hofstadter, titled "Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid - a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll" which in my humble opinion is quite engaging and brilliant. (Does not hurt if you have some understanding of computer sciences)

24113. sy475

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...