Renegade X — Community Poll: Map Removal

Havoc89

• Former Developers

Hey community!

As you may know by now, Renegade X has a lot of maps in game 35+ maps for just C&C mode. A lot of them were originally community made maps that were popular and eventually included in the base game. However we all know that only a small handful of the 35+ maps are being played in servers. Some maps will go un-played for days if not weeks. Having 35+ maps also creates a lot of burden for us to maintain and update all of them at any given time, especially when we are a small team.

There is a clear issue with maps having an inconsistent set of standards in both gameplay, and visual quality. We would like to address this by removing large number of the more unpopular maps, so that we can instead clearly focus on the maps that aren't necessarily the best, but are also in much better shape than the ones that are clearly bad. This way we'll be able to narrow down and focus on maps that you guys want to see improved to reach the same level of quality as the most popular maps.

As this is a pretty touchy subject as map opinions will be mostly subjective. There are clearly some gems, some diamonds in the rough, and some that are better off being removed. You may have noticed that there was a forum poll about picking favourite maps, however that poll isn't enough to really justify taking action in this regards.

We've created a new survey that isn't simply tied to a forum poll, but instead allows for much wider exposure. This poll will also help us to more clearly identify maps that are the best, okay, the worse, and the ones you guys think should be improved. So please take 2 minutes of your time to answer the 4 questions in this survey as it will help us a lot to see what the majority of this community wants to see. As well as allow us to focus our efforts on the maps that are the most deserving of being updated.

Survey can be found here:
https://forms.gle/m3AiUviKgrEbiHHP7

Thank you for your time!
- Havoc89

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not old RenegadeX player, but I believe that this game will be much more popular in the future. Famous of this project will increase after Firestorm's release. You better wait for this step. Much more content can touch and impress more new players. Stay safe 🐖 no 🐄

- Dagama

Edited by Dagama

I have a feeling the survey could have been setup better, something that separates the stock maps from custom community maps. There was also not an option for "No, don't remove any maps, but please fix some existing maps." I found myself voting for the most played and play tested maps just to ensure they're not seen as something that should be removed from the game.

Commenting individually - Field-X/Tunnels needs something doing about harvesters and economy.

I think Storm is a really under rated map, that just needs something looking at in order to prevent Nod artillery overwhelming the early game for GDI.

I hope that Fort makes it back into the game, as it was quite fun.

I'm not overly keen on seeing multiple versions of the same map in rotation, for example Islands and Islands-X as well as Field and Field-X. I'd keep Islands and Field-X but remove Islands-X and Field.

I always see a lot op people complaining when certain maps have been voted on and instantly wanting to change the map.

Regardless of the team balances or advantages. New players hardly get to even try the maps and in many cases where the gameplay is somewhat differant from the backdoor rushes, most of the times maps get voted away. A lot of maps go underratted because of this.

I like Walls, but i'm sometimes so sick of it.
I like Arctic, field(+x) and al the original classic maps. But I also like variation.

I like how Steppe has a huge tibfield only vehicles can acces. The downside of Steppe is the long traveltimes everywhere else, causing it to be voted off most of the times. But I still like it.

I espcially like toxicity because it usually breaks the regulair boring linear basecamp gameplay, but because of its differance and many passages, it gets voted off to change map most of the time.

The point is, variety doesn't hurt.

Is it possible to maybe optimise rotations according to server populations? Like Walls, Oasis, Under etc with low and fieldx, Outposts, Eyes with higher populations? This way the underplayed maps have a better change of beeing played I think.

When RenX hits mainstream, servers could be filtered by maps with base defences, powerplant etc to fit certain player preferances. But yeah thats long term thinking.

I think it is also important to analyse WHY the unpopulair maps are unpopulair.

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, Fercurix said:

Is it possible to maybe optimise rotations according to server populations? Like Walls, Oasis, Under etc with low and fieldx, Outposts, Eyes with higher populations? This way the underplayed maps have a better change of beeing played I think.

There is, but its not that simple (and is rather inflexible). We already use it as part of server rotation management

I believe that there is one more option to be considered. It goes somewhere between "remove the maps" and "just don't have maps in rotation":

Remove the maps from game, but still keep files available somewhere on the internet, so that Renegade X is not bloated but the maps are not lost to time. So if someone decides to check out or even host a server with unpopular maps, they still have ability to do so.

21 hours ago, Fercurix said:

I like how Steppe has a huge tibfield only vehicles can acces. The downside of Steppe is the long traveltimes everywhere else, causing it to be voted off most of the times.

It's mostly voted off because it crashes 32-bit clients, same with Desolation.

If I could vote any maps it would be Field, Under, Walls, Island, and Oasis. But seeing as how those are the alma-mater for RenegadeX I understand that we will never be rid of them. I just don't tend to have fun on them anymore and usually end up doing something stupid until a better map is chosen or leave.

Nexus's maps are fun and I've never understood the reason they are not voted for a good bit of the time. They fit the newer version of Renegade X's gameplay and can support 64 people.

Don't you dare remove Daybreak or I'll find a way to release the plague onto this forum. It just needs a little bit of work to make it great.

I have no idea what playing Storm is like because I'm usually to busy spamming the Easter egg.

Lakeside, Reservoir, and Goldrush are well balanced and fun.

I love Crash Site despite chem troopers ruining any resemblance of balance.

Everything other map I forgot and can't really give an opinion or have nothing nice to say about it.