Lakeside Flying

Guest Gliven

• Totem Arts Staff
9 hours ago, Denuvian said:

Lakeside is made by @kenz3001, right?

If he's fine with it and won't change it, then that's how it should be...

I personally don't like it that artilleries and orcas are able to shoot over the rocks and would like to see it prevented.

nope i didnt make lake side ZiXXer made it

i have modified it extensively for air units to have some sort of balance its far from perfect

Right now it's 13-12 in favour of leaving it. Grrr. Anyways...

So what is a good way for GDI to counter a whole bunch of arties sitting on the hill shooting at the GDI refinery?

My guess is Orcas, but if Nod has a stank and an apc. Those Orcas probably wont make it out alive.

Meds and mammies will get pounded before they even get into range to shoot at them. Plus with mammies, their slow speed and large size makes them an easy target at distance. So that leaves MRLS. The only problem with MRLS, is that the arties can sit in a position where they can pop in and out of cover, dodging all the incoming rockets. 

So that leaves the only option, which is to bum rush the hill with a shit ton of tanks, repairs, and orca's. Try to avoid the artillery shells till you can get close enough to even shoot back. All the while this is happening, the only cover your repairs have, is the tank they are repairing. Hotwires will die to splash damage, because of how large the artillery splash damage is. A sniper from the Ref path wouldn't hurt. I am also skeptical on airstrikes from this distance. Open field, easy to avoid, no choke points.

Also you better pray that at least one person is guarding the river while all this is happening, because i can guarantee at least 3 Stanks will be trying to sneak to the WF.

I guess a good counter to arties on the hill, is to park a mammy and 2 MRLS at the base entrance near the GTs. With one of those MRLS sitting in the river. And then just Orca rush, with whoever you have left.

Any thoughts on counters?

@CampinJeff @Xeon Wraith @denuvian @DarkSn4ke @KrypTheBear or whoever else wants to chime in.

The best bet to take over the hill is probably airstrikes on the hill, while constantly pushing with tanks and repairs and hope for the best. :P

Otherwise screw the hill and defend as effectively as possible and try something else besides the field...

Edited by Denuvian

The hill is pretty heavily exposed from GDI's refinery ledge. Should be possible to pressure sieging arties with gunners from there. While the hill defilade can act as cover for the arties, it seems to be too far back to target the ref and the slope makes shelling the main vehicle path difficult. You could probably rollout medium tanks while the gunners pressure the arties into the defilade. If they have sufficient repairs to out-sustain the gunners then it'll probably be better just to infantry rush with them instead.

This does have a pretty heavy player cost though.

The alternative of course is simply not to APC rush and to take some early field control instead.

Also if you're pushing out against a Nod controlled hill, stick close to ref-side mountain. Not only does it put you closer to firing range than anywhere else on GDI's vehicle path, the mountain is far better hard cover than any of the rocks in the river for avoiding splash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, SvN91 said:

As nod rarely can hold the field and hill against orcas and groups of gdi tanks I think that the arty spot is fair.

Well I don't agree with that. They can take the vehicle paths without problems. Most of the time stanks are driving in the field and river eliminating GDI units without problems

On 9.9.2017 at 1:57 PM, SvN91 said:

As nod rarely can hold the field and hill against orcas and groups of gdi tanks I think that the arty spot is fair.

I'd say this is true for most public Lakeside matches.

On 7.9.2017 at 9:04 PM, Gliven said:

So what is a good way for GDI to counter a whole bunch of arties sitting on the hill shooting at the GDI refinery?

Depends on the situation, which units does Nod have at GDI base entrance etc

To counter the arties a mix of "everything" will most likely have the best chances:

• airstrike the hill (order a 2nd airstrike asap)
  • 3-4 Orcas (with Gunners / Sydneys on 2nd seat) should push out via Ref route
  • 2 Mammoth tanks, 2 MRLS + field rep should push out of GDI base
  • 1-2 APC (patches, gunners, sydneys, whatever inside) push out via river

Edited by DarkSn4ke