New maps

Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey guys,

I'm not sure, if it was really noticed from the Developers and the players, but there are nearly 3 unfinished maps (Training Yard, Horolugue and Uphill, wich still need a bit fixing, but it should be done very soon) from @TK0104 and it would be great to see these maps in the game. So I just want to ask, if you could add these maps in the next patch or make an extra partch for these map, where you just add them to the game. I'd love it to see finally some new maps in the rotation and why we shouldn't use maps, which already exists.

Would be nice if I could get an answer from the Developers

Luhrian

Not sure about the others, but @TK0104 has done work to Training Yard but everyone still questions how it'll play. I honestly thought it was a perfectly functioning map from the beginning, just a reliably short one. I hope he keeps "versions", because the original release of TrainingYard was a perfect 10-24 player map for if we ever get player-count based map selection.

• Totem Arts Staff

Training Yard has been updated a lot of times and most bugs are just minor bugs

Horologue is finished. Try-Out didn't found any bugs anymore.

Uphill needs more testing. No bugs have been reported recently. I can't remember that I released an update that fixes mountain climbing. I'll check it out soon

Another thing. Tomb is getting an update soon. Expect it today or this week

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff
6 hours ago, TK0104 said:

I can't remember that I released an update that fixes mountain climbing. I'll check it out soon

You didn't, already checked it. I'll see maybe I will find some motivation and time for testing.

The maps look fine to me, there will always be some minor issues but they are things that you have to run into and fix afterwards.

Thommy learned how to create maps well ;) They won't be added to the base game though because we decided that we will only use the maps that were once in. We have already setup a neat system for fast custom map downloading so these maps are excellent candidates for it. @Luhrian if we would add every single custom map to the base game there will be no more custom maps, only official ones. Plus the fact that lots of ppl from ex, india have bad internet and are not willing to download a 2gb patch every time. This will shrink the playerbase.

We have a decent system for custom map support and if people/server owners will actively exploit that, the custom maps will come in rotation eventually. Check out old Ren and the Übermappack for example.. 

6 hours ago, Ruud033 said:

We have already setup a neat system for fast custom map downloading so these maps are excellent candidates for it.

For the most part the fast in-game map downloader works well. The only time it has issues is when a player tries to download a large map file with it. With maps like Frostbite and Hourglass, it can take a long time to download the map and environment file. Frostbite is a 207 MB map file + 81 MB for the environment file, and then it takes a bit longer to load building shaders for the first time.

Hourglass is a 188 MB map file + another 208 MB for the environment file. Which is why Hourglass has not been added to any server currently because the environment file takes a while to download.

On 4/18/2017 at 0:48 PM, Fffreak9999 said:

Can you also work on reducing the size of the Environment package as it is too big for in-game downloading when you also download the map with it.

On 2017-5-15 at 8:34 AM, Luhrian said:

The problem on Horologue for example is the insane long shader build time. @Fffreak9999 said, it would be fixed with an update. Is there any other solution for a problem like this?

http://constructivetyranny.com/showthread.php?tid=754&pid=3239#pid3239

Simplify the shaders, make use of existing shaders, make use of master-materials. (preferrably existing ones)