I'm making a map on YouTube!

TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

Yo,

So this series is inspired from Kenz' map making series and I decided to do it aswell. 

This has been a series I wanted to do for sooo long and I finally have the time! 

So I hope you enjoy the series!

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 3

It's gonna be huge, could be a lot of fun with a high vehicle limit.

Wouldn't it be better to block the hills off instead of placing all those rocks, if you want to get the real dunes feeling.

You can also use the small wooden fences, vegetation, or concrete, like old WW2 ruins, there's some old bunkers if you look at the references, they look a lot like the old bunker that's in the sdk.

• Like 1

Great idea with a dutch coast theme!

I agree with @Henk: less rocks, more dunes!

You could also use dykes (Dijk) to block off // shape the main routes, and they should look very artificial since they are manmade.

Additionally, you may want to look for references on the "Atlantic Wall" for WW2 bunkers and other concrete structures; heck, now that I think about it - I know you don't like tunnels, me neither - but how about an old WW2 concrete tunnel system connecting bunkers on both sides of the map? That way you have both dunes, and tunnels (infantry paths) and WW2 bunkers... :)
Maybe you could place it on the "land-side" of your map, close to where you were thinking of adding infantry paths?

See for example, the Atlantik Wall museum Noordwijk: http://atlantikwall.nl/

Another idea: how about adding windmills or better, windturbines (the ones for electricity generation) - apart from being stereotypically dutch^^, they fit the coustal ambience of your map and can also add a nice gameplay feature:

In the first episode you said, that you wanted to enable aircraft on this map, but without 50m high rock formations, there is no cover/pathing for air units. Wind turbines take up very little space on the ground (and don't affect gameplay on the ground that much), but when their blades are turning mid air, this makes it more dangerous to fly around, and you could also use the blades to evade incoming rockets.

Anyway, I like that you have a somewhat clear theme in mind (that you could also personally relate to) - just commit to this concept a bit more: no rocks or trees, just dunes, grass and bushes :P). Dunes of varying sizes are a nice way to create paths, and offer natural cover for vehicles and infantry.

21030_fullimage_duinenvantexel_wandelaar

Keep it up and good luck!

p.s. Thanks for quoting me in your video (btw I came up with my online nickname before I understood how 1337-speak works, but my friends used to pronounce it something like "jogger" ^^). And a "firetower" is called a "lighthouse" in English - could also be a nice point of interest (for snipers) in the middle of the map ;) 

Greetings from a German (with roots close to the Dutch border) now living in the UK :D 

• Totem Arts Staff

Yoo.... !

the time i took on making the map has nothing to do with the dates i posted the vids ... add up the mins / hrs of each vid then add 20+ hrs of light builds and prep time + bad recordings (there were alot of bad recordings witch meant the entire vid had to be remade)

hope you inspire more peeps to make maps coz the game is nothing with out a community that has passion

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, kenz3001 said:

the time i took on making the map has nothing to do with the dates i posted the vids ... add up the mins / hrs of each vid then add 20+ hrs of light builds and prep time + bad recordings (there were alot of bad recordings witch meant the entire vid had to be remade)

Ah yeah forgot about that :P

Stupid I didn't thought about that....

• Totem Arts Staff

Oh, great to see this topic. It is very interessting to see other mappers how they are working.

But you said you want to have some suggestions for your map.

Ok here we go :)

You have a sea in your map, so why not adding a hovecraft? I planned it to do that on my own map, but why not doing it on yours

I will explain, what I mean on some screens from my new map. (don't expect too much, it is pretty much WIP)

An Hovecraft is a transporter, so you should make sure, that there is a point where you can drop some tanks to get behind the enemy for example. It would be nice, too, if there are some points where you can attack the enemy with your hovercraft.Screenshot_(35).thumb.png.c06cb28f4526b58577c83e760f69749b.png

Inside the cave

Screenshot_(36).thumb.png.ea3ec5541adde9bc7e984abb7f1dd6d3.png

Outside the cave

Screenshot_(34).thumb.png.7908b6053dafda0e3571e188d6733590.png

Map Overview

It will be an much more interessting gameplay, if you can come from behind with some flamers and burn the asses from GDI Mammoth Tanks and make it easier to break a base lock. And Hovercraft battels could be interessting, too.

Tech Buildings, that you only can reach with Hovercrafts make this lake more important for the gameplay.

But now, I want to hear your opinion @TK0104 and if you want to add it.

And remember "I don't want to steal the ideas from other people" is no reason for not doing it.

I hope you like this idea.

Looking forward to see your map growing.

Luhrian

Edited by Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff

Could be a nice idea! Aircraft is enabled on this map so aircraft could take hovercrafts out. Maybe it's a good idea to make a tech building for that instead of just spawning one in the map. About the Helipad thing, I'm probably thinking making that a tech building aswell and let A-10 aircrafts spawn. Imagine you can do the airstrikes on hovercrafts!!!

@kenz3001 Could I use your helipad on this map?

I'm also thinking of making the map a bit D-Day'ish (Had that idea after I saw an image of the next CoD game CoD: WWII). Imagine Nod has captured the Beach and GDI Forces has stormed a part of the beach and re-captured that part where their base is. Would be a nice idea, right?

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff
29 minutes ago, TK0104 said:

Maybe it's a good idea to make a tech building for that instead of just spawning one in the map.

Na, I don't think this is a good idea. Let me explain it:

A Tech building is a point, in the middle of the map, so both teams need the same time to reach it. 1 team captured the middle of the map and owns this tech building. The effect will be, that the team, which captured the tech building, is getting more stronger, but they were already strong enough to capture this tech building. The other team loose some possibilities to make a turn and it is getting even more difficult to defend the base, because you have to defend the sea side, too.

I have now 3 suggestions for you:

1. place the tech building in both bases
  2. make a Factory for these Hovercrafts
  3. make both :)

I'm probably thinking making that a tech building aswell and let A-10 aircrafts spawn. Imagine you can do the airstrikes on hovercrafts!!!

The A-10 tech building is the same thing like the hovercrafts.

Just take the text about the Hovercraft tech building and replace the Hovercraft with A-10.

But I like that A10 idea, even if they let me raging every time I fly them. @TheDeadlyWolf know why xD:D.

Imagine Nod has captured the Beach and GDI Forces has stormed a part of the beach and re-captured that part where their base is. Would be a nice idea, right?

You should write the background stories for my maps, I have always no idea what I should write there xD.

But I have a good felling about this map, keep it up :)

Luhrian

Edited by Luhrian

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, Luhrian said:

The A-10 tech building is the same thing like the hovercrafts.

Just take the text about the Hovercraft tech building and replace the Hovercraft with A-10.

But I like that A10 idea, even if they let me raging every time I fly them. @TheDeadlyWolf know why xD:D.

Well I sure do, you last a couple of seconds before blowing up........You either crash into a building (You managed to hit the AGT Pole (whatever its called) and no one else has) crash into objects, or even the ground

You will waste them, you sure will...

• Totem Arts Staff

His map will be very open, if you get a flat start position (for example a hangar to the sea side) you wont have that much problems like on Hourglass for example. And his map is really big so you can use this A-10 very good.

Keep it up ! :)

Good that you reduced the amount of rocks overall.

I know that landscape (and material) works can get really time consuming, without displaying much progress.

Maybe you could look into height-based blending for the rock layer, such that you would have sand in the cracks ;)

Once you have worked out your overall layout (pathing etc.), perhaps, you may want to focus on small scenes (one at a time) and get them like 80% done*, like the lighthouse, base entrances, bunkers, "path junction" in the dunes...

*instead of doing all landscspe painting, heightmap modifications, rock placing, foliage painting, etc. in seperate passes for the entire map.

Sometimes this helps to get a better idea of your concept and visualise it.

• Totem Arts Staff

Landscape has changed off-camera a lot. You see it when episode 5 will be out. I haven't recorded that one because I have no time this week (or these weeks)

Ah sorry, I idnt see that you already released episode 4 when i was typing the comment above - just watched it now. ^^

Nice, you're getting there!

And as I said before, it might be worthwhile to try first how different combinations of textures for landscape, foliage and rock meshes (and associated materials) can all come together to form the environment and ambience you're envisioning, before you start rolling it out on a large scale.

But that's easier said than done.

And don't worry - take all the time you need with this. Guess most of us have other occupations than RenX - (un-)fortunately :p

Looking forward to future episodes, i am excited where you are taking your concept ideas.

Good luck !

• Totem Arts Staff

Here is your reason:

590c6d64d59ac_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.3f3229bd8d95977e3c1b17df78315e37.png

This Object is used in another map, you have to remove it over there first before you can delete it from your package.

If you don't find the facility in another map, you can copy all things you need to another package and remove that package in the SDK folder.

At 18:00:

I had the same thing and I grouped something with the landscape by accident, maybe you should check for that.

Suggestion:

Put the Nod Repair Facility behind the Hand of Nod, so it is good coverd. You surely have to flat a bit landscape for more space behind the Hand of Nod to prevent a double kill with the building (if I understood it right, the Facility is killable)

Put the GDI Repair Facility maybe behind Wepons Factory

Keep it up :)

• 2 weeks later...