Need help for idead to final project of my degree

kira

• Totem Arts Staff

hey guys, i need help.

I'm learning at college on the field of programming, and about to finish my diploma. 

i am suppose to make and produce an app, software, anything like that to my lecturer as final project. it's big. 

i'm looking for ideas, i don't know what to make. is there any need for application for renegade x? or something else you got in mind?

It may not be ever official but I think it would be great if there was a way of making a name registration so everybody playing would know if the owner of the nickname is the real one or not, making an game account.. open archievements, making some kind of personal progress, collecting stats.. it would open the whole new possibilities three if there was a game account.

And log in via launcher.

People like to make/see progress. It's very important for any new online game for getting and keeping players.

Someone at my uni created a simple but useful app. The uni has several campuses spread over the city, so sometimes you need to travel from one campus to an other between lectures (must go by bus or car because if you walk, you won't make it in time). In the app, you can select which campus you are at right now, and then it gives you an overview which bus at which station you need to take to get to an other campus or the train station and when it leaves etc. Maybe something similar is needed at your college/city, too?

Not sure if Ren X needs an app or what it could look like :P

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Axesor said:

It may not be ever official but I think it would be great if there was a way of making a name registration so everybody playing would know if the owner of the nickname is the real one or not, making an game account.. open archievements, making some kind of personal progress, collecting stats.. it would open the whole new possibilities three if there was a game account.

And log in via launcher.

People like to make/see progress. It's very important for any new online game for getting and keeping players.

thank you for you replay, steam can be used as main account it and the server admins can configure the server to only accept registered steam users but they don't do it for apperently good reasons.

but i might take it into consideration with my schedule and accepted from my partner (not yet found one but eventually i need to ask first).

EKT-Kaiser

my  college isn't that big i can cross it with my own bare feet easily. Though there was a time i thought about mapping the area of my college for strangers and such. it could be interesting for a smaller course i also need to do.

thanks guys if you have more ideas i would love to hear out.

A program to aid filling  a game server .This always has been a problem for low populated games. If someone could come up with something that can be use in many different game it should be very popular .

In other words:

The solution to the problem : 0 player in a game server but nobody join because its empty but there is out there enought players looking at that Zero player..to Fill 2 servers ;)

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
14 hours ago, Axesor said:

And log in via launcher.

That's actually planned, and if somebody wanted to work on that you'd be Agent's best friend forever and ever and ever. 

3 hours ago, Xtractor said:

A program to aid filling  a game server .This always has been a problem for low populated games. If someone could come up with something that can be use in many different game it should be very popular .

In other words:

The solution to the problem : 0 player in a game server but nobody join because its empty but there is out there enought players looking at that Zero player..to Fill 2 servers ;)

Some kind of lounge mode, or a player queue in the launcher, which lets all ppl join when a threshold of players is reached would be great...

1 hour ago, kira said:

why is that? no one volunteering to aid her?

They've started to work on it quietly. You see, nobody knew it until now. RenX devs are fans of c&c universe who decided to rework the old c&c renegede, so they are all basicaly volunteers who knows and learns to do their part of the job.

So I guess, there is not much devs who knows how to do better than Agent regarding to work on name registration. Everybody who can contribute somehow can be a developer.

Or am I wrong?

• Totem Arts Staff
On 11/2/2016 at 0:14 AM, Axesor said:

They've started to work on it quietly. You see, nobody knew it until now. RenX devs are fans of c&c universe who decided to rework the old c&c renegede, so they are all basicaly volunteers who knows and learns to do their part of the job.

So I guess, there is not much devs who knows how to do better than Agent regarding to work on name registration. Everybody who can contribute somehow can be a developer.

Or am I wrong?

Less that, and more like everyone's (The like..4 of us) pretty burnt out... on top of not being paid. Progress on everything is... minimal. Plenty of TODO comments lying around right now.

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, yosh56 said:

Less that, and more like everyone's (The like..4 of us) pretty burnt out... on top of not being paid. Progress on everything is... minimal. Plenty of TODO comments lying around right now.

which we are ALL thank you for your dedication and hard work :)

give me some time, and il try my best to help out with the coding modding and what ever is needed. maybe even funding. right now i am stil building myself as programmer but also keep close huge potentials - people with great minds and talents that eventually wil want (as i persume) open projects to increase their skils.

On 31. 10. 2016 at 10:47 PM, kira said:

thank you for you replay, steam can be used as main account it and the server admins can configure the server to only accept registered steam users but they don't do it for apperently good reasons.

but i might take it into consideration with my schedule and accepted from my partner (not yet found one but eventually i need to ask first)

I'd like to ask something. At 1st keep in mind that Iam not much educated in programming.

Is it possible to make a simple window with a request for a nickname and password? so after pressing login button, it will check the RenX webside database if there is such an account or not and then it opens the game launcher. +Registration button that will open the webside after pressing it. +Remember the password check box option. The nickname written down in the text block in login window would be fixed and unable to change. Just to claim the name.. first steps u know, without archievements and such yet.

Is it difficult or even possible to make something like that? Is using the steam really the best and easier option? I've been looking through some tutorials in c++ so Iam asking. I did not find the checking web databaze part.

Edited by Axesor

• Totem Arts Staff
17 hours ago, Axesor said:

I'd like to ask something. At 1st keep in mind that Iam not much educated in programming.

Is it possible to make a simple window with a request for a nickname and password? so after pressing login button, it will check the RenX webside database if there is such an account or not and then it opens the game launcher. +Registration button that will open the webside after pressing it. +Remember the password check box option. The nickname written down in the text block in login window would be fixed and unable to change. Just to claim the name.. first steps u know, without archievements and such yet.

Is it difficult or even possible to make something like that? Is using the steam really the best and easier option? I've been looking through some tutorials in c++ so Iam asking. I did not find the checking web databaze part.

sounds good to try. maybe after my test on Thursday.

2 hours ago, Axesor said:

like sending stats after each round to the webside, so all the archievements and stats would be archived on the webside

The server list / leaderboard already has full RCON access, which logs many events such as purchases, kills, deaths, and much more. I just haven't gotten around to converting some things to use a proper SQL database yet, which makes it slightly annoying to display webpages or generate stats for. I've had a lot of ideas and just simply not started working on them -- I don't want to dedicate that much time to unpaid work every day; I'd rather spend that time job searching (which is extremely draining and demotivating to me).

As far as implementation of an in-game login system goes... Checking credentials against the server database would also require a custom PHP script, or perhaps an external application, to verify credentials. Then if we wanted to tie this in-game, a unique authentication token has to be generated and sent to the client. The client then sends this authentication token to the server, and the server verifies it against another custom PHP script. A new RCON event would throw a log for authentication pass/fail; the server would then kick the player or allow the player to play depending on implementation. That's the most straight-forward way of implementing a login system by itself, and would only require usage of 2 languages (PHP and UnrealScript). My original plan was to incorporate user logins (among other things such as PMs, server queues, etc) into the server list application, though I never got around to it (this solution would require 3 languages: C++, UnrealScript, PHP). I would have then been able to fundamentally change how the server list provides server data to the clients using this new user management system, hopefully improving the general security of Renegade X game servers by obfuscating server details from potential attackers (it certainly wouldn't be full-proof, but it would have made it a bit harder).

As far as whether this is a good final project for a university course... I'd lean no because you'd be building off of systems that aren't your work, and I have no idea how your professor would feel about that. It's also not particularly "flashy" in that it's a pretty mundane programming project that requires a considerable amount of work without really providing any "wow!" factor -- which is true about most network programming tasks. If you're wanting to impress your professor, I would think that making a small game in Unity might suffice. Who knows, maybe you'll make something really nice.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2016 at 0:48 AM, Agent said:

I've had a lot of ideas and just simply not started working on them -- I don't want to dedicate that much time to unpaid work every day; I'd rather spend that time job searching (which is extremely draining and demotivating to me).

If you don't put your ideas into practice now then you'll continue to struggle get a job, the more you create now leaves you with more to show to future employers.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 11/8/2016 at 2:48 AM, Agent said:

The server list / leaderboard already has full RCON access, which logs many events such as purchases, kills, deaths, and much more. I just haven't gotten around to converting some things to use a proper SQL database yet, which makes it slightly annoying to display webpages or generate stats for. I've had a lot of ideas and just simply not started working on them -- I don't want to dedicate that much time to unpaid work every day; I'd rather spend that time job searching (which is extremely draining and demotivating to me).

As far as implementation of an in-game login system goes... Checking credentials against the server database would also require a custom PHP script, or perhaps an external application, to verify credentials. Then if we wanted to tie this in-game, a unique authentication token has to be generated and sent to the client. The client then sends this authentication token to the server, and the server verifies it against another custom PHP script. A new RCON event would throw a log for authentication pass/fail; the server would then kick the player or allow the player to play depending on implementation. That's the most straight-forward way of implementing a login system by itself, and would only require usage of 2 languages (PHP and UnrealScript). My original plan was to incorporate user logins (among other things such as PMs, server queues, etc) into the server list application, though I never got around to it (this solution would require 3 languages: C++, UnrealScript, PHP). I would have then been able to fundamentally change how the server list provides server data to the clients using this new user management system, hopefully improving the general security of Renegade X game servers by obfuscating server details from potential attackers (it certainly wouldn't be full-proof, but it would have made it a bit harder).

As far as whether this is a good final project for a university course... I'd lean no because you'd be building off of systems that aren't your work, and I have no idea how your professor would feel about that. It's also not particularly "flashy" in that it's a pretty mundane programming project that requires a considerable amount of work without really providing any "wow!" factor -- which is true about most network programming tasks. If you're wanting to impress your professor, I would think that making a small game in Unity might suffice. Who knows, maybe you'll make something really nice.

When you right, you right. It is not some flashy thing to show the professor. Still, after reading your post i'm thrilled more than ever to this (the whole thing) you mentioned. I think ill be able to do it because we study c++ , sql, php i probly learn by myself but yeah i can do this. When the tine cones i will try it out. Regradless the project.

and for the assiament i really like the idead of a game with unreal engine rather unity.

Edited by kira

• 6 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
On 11/8/2016 at 2:48 AM, Agent said:

hello agent, it's been a while since we discussed it but i have been busy. 

very soon I'll graduate from the degree and i already want to start designing this idea. 

I know a bit php and sql and all but still i need a bit more explanations for the way it supposed to be. could we set a time to talk about it on skype/teamspeak  or do you prefer on this fourm?