Gunners + LCG

It might just be me, but I feel like Gunners are rather underpowered, or are not worth it to invest in most of the time. Perhaps it'll be better to increase their damage somewhat? As for LCGs, with the new update where they get flak armour: What will they require that type of armour for? They're primarily anti-infantry, but they wear anti-explosive flak armour? It would make more sense to give them kevlar. Either that, or make their weapon deal slightly more damage to vehicles; after all, when you look at it, Nod kind of lacks an intermediary anti-vehicle unit.

• Totem Arts Staff

I'm starting to think nobody's shot an Artillery with Gunner before... he can literally kill one in one clip and a couple of shots from a sidearm.

And LCG is supposed to be 'mainly' anti-tank. It just happens to have a gun that mows down anything.

I'm starting to think nobody's shot an Artillery with Gunner before... he can literally kill one in one clip and a couple of shots from a sidearm.

And LCG is supposed to be 'mainly' anti-tank. It just happens to have a gun that mows down anything.

Pretty much.

GDI has 2 specialized guys that are Heavy-Armor and Light-Armor, since it doesn't have SBH.

Nod has SBH, so it has 1 unit-spot less to work with. LCG covers both, but to cover tanks properly it needs Flak armor.

If you want anti-infantry, between Chem, Officer, Sniper, and Mendoza, you have options already that don't overlap.

Gunner needs more armor. Like 250 or 300...

LCG is just fine. Nod have to combine infantry with tanks to be effective and LCG is one of the mains dps and healing supports in field.

GDI has different strategies mainly based on tanks but everybody is testing infantry now. Give it a few weeks and GDI will play correctly again :P

Nod can win without airstrip, and GDI can win without barracks.

Everything is soo perfect :o

• 4 weeks later...

Gunners do indeed rip apart an arty, but if it's moving and you're far across the field, the travel time for your rockets can be problematic since they don't lock.

Gunners also can be one-shot killed from an arty from across the field.

Against infantry, even basic infantry, a Gunner's only chance is to use the carbine sidearm. Sure, you could shoot the ground near your enemy and hope the splash does enough damage after 2 or 3 clips, but by then the flame trooper has you.

Really the only reason I'll buy a gunner nowadays is for the EMP. Economically, there are better anti-tank resources.

• Totem Arts Staff

Against infantry, even basic infantry, a Gunner's only chance is to use the carbine sidearm. Sure, you could shoot the ground near your enemy and hope the splash does enough damage after 2 or 3 clips, but by then the flame trooper has you.

Well considering flamethrowers have flak armour.... that was literally the worst example you could have come up with.

Also....MRLS have a higher chance to randomly head-shot LCGs, so again this was a poor example.

Well considering flamethrowers have flak armour.... that was literally the worst example you could have come up with.

Also....MRLS have a higher chance to randomly head-shot LCGs, so again this was a poor example.

LOL, okay. Probably bad examples. But my point still stands, Gunners are terrible against infantry, but I consider that by design. They definitely have a role. A Gunner rush is one of the most terrifying things a Nod team can see coming down the tunnel. But if you try to take on an Apache you're better off with the cheapie Rocket Officer thanks to locking.

Please don't misconstrue my comments to mean "Gunners are broken and need to be fixed," because I DON'T feel that way. I just think that strategically there's little use for them for my tastes.

Gunner is currently one of the highest skill cap characters and borderline op if played right (in my opinion).

If you can hit aircraft you destroy them. If you headshot infantry you one hit kill most of them (or leave them with a tiny health). His side arm is pretty decent considering how powerful his launcher is.

Gunner is a perfect example of a utility character, a character you buy to specifically do just 1 thing.

LCG is a perfect example of an enforcer character, a character that generally provides "presence" for their team against all threats.

LCG does his job damn well, with only 1 weakness really being his speed which makes him very vulnerable to direct infantry encounters since they can dodge around yet he has to stand there and take all the gunfire.

Really, Patch does his job damn well too, he is pretty good against LCG if used tactically with cover, range, and speed, choose 2 of the 3. He just isn't quite as good against everything the LCG is good against, the LCG just does better damage against vehicles and infantry while Patch does acceptable damage against them, similar dps but lower RoF and bullet speed and clip size and thus less frequent damage.

I will just leave it here, that it has been brought to me with great confidence, that next update, Patch may get a mild buff to one of his utilities, while LCG may get slightly nerfed against one of his many effective targets. This should make 450 easily equal to 450, although still very opposite.

This thread was created before 5.14. Now It's fixed imo. Gunner got his buff, and LCG got what he needed.

LCG defenitely don't need any kind of nerf. He is slow, tanky againts explosion damage, mid-hight average DPS, but he is really weak againts bullets. Patch, officer, all SNIPERS :mad: have no real problem with killing him. That's why I am always calling in GDI chat to buy a few APCs. If you catch a LCG, he can't run. And he defenitely need to be that strong as he is now becouse he is support to Nod's vehicles while GDI don't necessary need such a support. Each faction uses different tactics, same prices doesn't mean same purpose or abilities.