PSA: DDOS Attacks

RoundShades

The following is a Public Service Announcement to the Community on the topic of the recent server crashes caused by the Denial of Service attacks:

As most the Renegade-X players and hosts may already know, there are many Denial of Service attacks targeting the servers that anyone decides to host, via a surge of network traffic all instantaneously. The devs, in cooperation with server owners, have come a long way at figuring out ways to filter the traffic and getting servers back to being playable and enjoyable.

1) There are ways for hosts to filter traffic to try and prevent the crashes. If you need to inquire about it, ask for it in the server owners section or via PM.

2) The attacks are still frequent enough, but aren't as easy to pull off and don't always result in a crash. Just be aware of that.

3) The attacks aren't serious, it is really just an empty-ended source with no motivation, and the game continues with minimal damage.

4) It is a wise decision to keep positive in all discussion about the attacks, on the forums and in-game, if you would kindly do so. Nobody really has any interest in the attacks or their motive, so talking about it just perpetuates it you know?

5) It clutters the forum discussing the attacks on every thread on the forums, as well as creating 7 new threads in 5 different sections. So, we are going to try to keep discussion about the attacks in just 1 topic (this one), with few exceptions. If you create new topics just discussing the attacks, they will be merged or deleted, and if you have any important information to share for any reason, just post about it here, the server owners section if you can, or just PM directly to whom it may concern.

6) Thank you for bearing through it all, and knowing that the attacks are resource-intensive and time-intensive, both for the attacker and for the developers. There is only so long the attacks can continue, as little as they accomplish, and as little interest as they generate.

To be fair, it was asked, I pitched the wording, it was read and approved, it seemed informative and worth putting here to calm people down.

Most people jokingly say "the ddoser is this guy" and "the ddoser is that guy" and "I am the ddoser and am going to ddos the server right.... now" and other pokes at humor about it. It is really just a joke people keep entertaining, but it has had its drama and is really starting to "clog the works" of forum and game.

People are still probably not going to stop having fun with it or going crazy because it is happening to them, but at least 2 of us pretty much established permission to start aggressively consolidating DDOS discussion on the forums, if it's off-topic for its section or thread then it's getting moved here or deleted.

Seems sound enough.

The devs, in cooperation with server owners, have come a long way at figuring out ways to filter the traffic and getting servers back to being playable and enjoyable.

Credit should be given where credit is due. Please reveal which developers you are talking about so that I may thank them personally.

Nobody really has any interest in the attacks or their motive, so talking about it just perpetuates it you know?

You just posted a big announcement thread on the Renegade-X homepage?

Actually, a moderator brought up the issue he had, he can claim credit if he wants, and I agreed, and Agent told someone to make a post in the private section first, so it can be read, before posting it officially in the public section.

Which is how it works, anywhere, on any site and forum. Simple vetting process of official announcements. We decided the announcement about it, was better than the constant chit-chat about it, often inappropriate chit-chat about it such as the examples I gave. It's not cool that the attacks are happening, but less cool that people take it as serious as they do.

• 3 weeks later...

Well so they are not patched yes. Most attacks are UDP flood Player. To arrive most servers do not clearly and crashing or lag.

Server has then to 17,000 players it loud console. But you do what against.

so in the way he makes the time long time;) http://renegade-x-forum.eu/ddos-server-crash.txt

I'm going to try out different methods on. But that still costs a lot of CPU power.

iTweek":34xsurke]Well so they are not patched yes. Most attacks are UDP flood Player. To arrive most servers do not clearly and crashing or lag.

so in the way he makes the time long time;) http://renegade-x-forum.eu/ddos-server-crash.txt

I'm going to try out different methods on. But that still costs a lot of CPU power.

I didn't understand any of this. =/

iTweek":10yxnh4w]Well so they are not patched yes. Most attacks are UDP flood Player. To arrive most servers do not clearly and crashing or lag.

I didn't understand any of this. =/

I think he is saying, he still does an occasional UDK flood, which isn't the easiest to block, but isn't the hardest either.

Honestly, from what I understand, it would be the first and only UDK flood this month though. Probably because even those don't crash CT but 20% of the time, but unfortunately crashes others little more frequently.

Doesn't do whoever very much good, if he can't bring 100% of the servers down then he isn't accomplishing much, and if he doesn't have the dedication to do it more frequently then he isn't accomplishing much. I figured he'd do this once every few weeks after casually checking the launcher, but he isn't putting much effort into it anymore, and one week he simply isn't even going to bother, and won't come back. Best decision for him anyway, he needs to move on with life. Do other things. Put this in the past. It's consuming his life, not ours.

Any of you remember the last game you played Gameboy? The last time you put it down? Expecting to pick it back up sometime? But never did, just kind of wandered off? That's going to be his situation soon enough, hopefully to move on to better things and other games and such.