How to get the 3D models from Ren X ready for 3D printing?

Kalle Bowo

Hey guys,

that's my only question :D I mean since the SDK is out everyone is kind of allowed to mess with the awesome work done by Totem Arts. So I thought, why not grab their really nice 3D models (instead of spending hours to model all the stuff by myself again) and print the toys I never had :D oh and if you're asking, no, of course, I don't want to sell them, once I printed them.

I think I already figured out that I need these UPK files. But that's where my knowlegde stops. So if you could give me any kind of advice on how to extract the 3d-model-files and convert them for example into formats like ply, stl, 3ds or 3mf so that for example meltwerk can handle them, I would be so happy.

Thank you very much!

cheers,

Kalle

Ok, maybe I didn't get this right: Just imagine I have NO IDEA how to operate this stuff :D which apllication to run, where to find the files, how to extract them, I don't own 3DS Max (but I can open/import stuff with blender and save/export it in another format) and I could either watch a ton of tutorials on YouTube or I could turn directly to the guys who actually know exactly what I want to know. So if you could go a little bit or maybe rather quite a bit more into detail, I would be thankful :)

• Former Developers

All you need is our sdk to open up the editor. Once you've opened up the editor you will see a windows explorer like file browser called the content browser. Look under the RenX folder, and you will see a number of sub folders for things like weapons, vehicles, characters, and whatever else. Find the model you want to extract. Right click on the thumbnail of the model, and select export to FBX. Then just import the FBX format file into whatever 3d modeling software you prefer.

All you need is our sdk to open up the editor. Once you've opened up the editor you will see a windows explorer like file browser called the content browser. Look under the RenX folder, and you will see a number of sub folders for things like weapons, vehicles, characters, and whatever else. Find the model you want to extract. Right click on the thumbnail of the model, and select export to FBX. Then just import the FBX format file into whatever 3d modeling software you prefer.

Hey, thank you! So far I managed to

- open the right application (the editor) :D

- find the right files inside the "CookedPC" folder

- open the stuff in the Content Browser via this little folder button "Open an external package"

- open the stuff in the AnimSet Editor

But there is no such command as "export to FBX" when right clicking the stuff in the Content Browser. There is just a "Export to File" command but it's always greyed out no matter which file I select (sound, 3d, texture ...).

http://kallebowo.de/udk-screenshot01.jpg

There is the command "File > Export FBX Animation" in the AnimSet Editor, but when I click it, a message tells me "Please select an AnimSet for exporting to an FBX file." But in the Tab "AnimSet" down in the left side menu there's nothing to select ...

http://kallebowo.de/udk-screenshot02.jpg

Any advice?

Oh, by the way, nice portfolio! :)

drag and drop the mesh on the the map and then right click the mesh in the map you can export as an .obj from there this will skip all the animation crap and will have you only the mesh

Alright, with the drag and drop I got a 3D model inside the map. Via rightclick on the model I only get the option to export as FBX, but that doesn't work. I can tyoe in a name for the file but after "exorting" there is no file in the selected folder.

http://kallebowo.de/udk-screenshot03.jpg

Selecting the model in the map, using "File > Export > Selected only" somehow doesn't work either. It creates an OBJ file, but this is only around 90bytes, which can hardly contain any data, which might explain why there is nothing inside it, when I open the file with blender.

http://kallebowo.de/udk-screenshot04.jpg

Any ideas?

edit:

update - exporting the buildings (eg. refinery, obelisk, weapons factory, hand of nod) via drag+drop in the map and then "File > Export > Selected only" works just fine. Everything else I tested so far doesn't (vehicles eg. mammoth, orca, artillery or weapons eg. laser rifle, tiberium flechette). Any idea why some things work and some things don't?

ok just coz im a lazy gitt and cant be asked to upload a butt load of images and the text ith it ... here is a vid :P

Sometimes the mistakes are so stupid ... thank you for saving your example files in the video on the desktop! My application didn't like the folder's name ^^ now the fbx export works without a problem :)

Again, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
I have to admit I am totally amazed by the quality of the print. This was merely a test, ordered at meltwerk.com to see if simply uploading Renegade X's 3D files would work. And it does without a problem. I didn't expect that at all.

wow its look good I always want an SBH figurine ,should be possible with that now

cost a lot ?