Adjusting a PT's team number

Ruud033

Hey people,

I've been trying to switch a PT's team number, so when a building is captured, the proper HUD will be shown and the tooltip will be shown to the correct team.

This is what it looks like in Kismet (beginning of the level, needs to be team 255)

lmdHkGG.png

The code does work in the SDK, as soon as I start playing all is fine.. however, when I upload it to our testing server it suddenly does not work anymore, how come? What it does is, it stays at the default team it was at from the beginning... it does not seem to change.

So weird that it does work in the SDK but not on the server, what am I doing wrong here?

I am changing the teamnumber of the invisible touching actor (the one with the tooltip), not the static mesh, in case you were wondering..

Just a stab in the dark here. When you tested it through the SDK, did you run it on just a local standalone client? Or a local server and client?

If the first one seems to be the case it might be that you have to make the change on the server and that it sends it to the client.

(I might be totally wrong though)

Just a stab in the dark here. When you tested it through the SDK, did you run it on just a local standalone client? Or a local server and client?

If the first one seems to be the case it might be that you have to make the change on the server and that it sends it to the client.

(I might be totally wrong though)

I think you have a point here,, I think it has something to do with the communication between client <> server. Somehow the UI does not update clientside. I just play in the windowed mode (play from here) btw,

you set the trigger to client side only ?

What trigger? I'm sorry I don't use a trigger here, only level loaded. Even if I would use a trigger, I can't update the terminal clientside... There's no option in modify property for it to be clientside only..

Do I have to replicate this stuff somehow or what's going on here?

• Totem Arts Staff

ahhh ok didnt know how you started it all off ... changing stuff via setting / kismet some times bypasses the native renx code (e.g. setting a building to 0 will kill the building every thing shows it dead but the buildings mesh itself stays as an alive building)

client side and server side are 2 very different things .. you may have to do a swap of the invisible PT actor class via kismet (hide one wile unhiding the other and via versa)

ahhh ok didnt know how you started it all off ... changing stuff via setting / kismet some times bypasses the native renx code (e.g. setting a building to 0 will kill the building every thing shows it dead but the buildings mesh itself stays as an alive building)

client side and server side are 2 very different things .. you may have to do a swap of the invisible PT actor class via kismet (hide one wile unhiding the other and via versa)

That's a good idea.

I created a system that checks if the teamnumber is equal to the MCT and PT every time a player walks trough a specific piece of zone, which you can see here:

Ip8xjed.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ip8xjed.jpg

If they enter this zone, this piece of kismet gets triggerd:

HuiDynq.png

http://i.imgur.com/HuiDynq.png

Don't mind the 'play announcement' things, it's just for debugging. It works in the SDK as you can see here:

dQrvmLY.png

http://i.imgur.com/dQrvmLY.png

Don't forget that I've set the teamnumber of the terminal to 3 at the beginning of the level:

zMUqH2p.png

http://i.imgur.com/zMUqH2p.png

Why number 3? because RypeL designed the capturable MCT to be team 3 when you place it, then, once captured it goes to either GDI/Nod (so 0 or 1) and if neutral it goes to 255.. Really weird but ok.

This is still based upon my old principle, the team switch (internally) in the PT. If this fails on the server, I will try and swap out stuff kenz ;) Thanks for the tip. Didnt think of that.

Yesterday I've tested this new kismet sequence which I've posted 2 posts back. Sadly it does not work. It's being looked into by RypeL and/or Agent (I hope)

Meanwhile I'll be looking into an alternative! And also polishing the map of course :)

So much effort, keep up the good work :)