Too Sunny, too bright

NowhereNews

I remember playing the map Walls in Old Renegade and somehow it feeled better. It had a nice moody afternoon atmosphere with a colorful sky. The Renegade X version on the other hand has broad daylight that makes everything so bright I have to turn down the brightness on my monitor. Now, I'm not here to complain. I realize that the taste of one player isn't enough reason to remake maps, but I was wondering how much effort would it take to say, create different versions of the same map with only the weather/Time of day changed.

• Totem Arts Staff

Theoritically shouldn't be too much work, for time of day changes (unless you are talking about dynamic changes, which is almost, but not impossible. But not too recommended since UE3 still can't handle dynamic lighting too well like CryEngine or Unity)

For weather, addition of work besides changing lighting, postprocessing and whatnot

Hmmm... I see. Indeed I meant Non-Dynamic Change in daytime. Its not like people pay all that much attention to how the shadows slowly crawl around anyway. One thing that may be concerning is that most daytime maps don't have any light sources around. Also, Some of the old folks (Majority of players, in other words)may not like the change at all.

• Totem Arts Staff
Hmmm... I see. Indeed I meant Non-Dynamic Change in daytime. Its not like people pay all that much attention to how the shadows slowly crawl around anyway. One thing that may be concerning is that most daytime maps don't have any light sources around. Also, Some of the old folks (Majority of players, in other words)may not like the change at all.

Well, you only need to place a single DominantDirectionalLight and few indoor lighting and some support lighting and let the technology of Lightmass do the work for you to make a daytime map. Of course, I'm not the dev, but I've been working on UDK for quite some time, so I could just guess a thing or two about map technical properties