Make donate only work after 2-5min

Canucck

Donate is some of the worst shit ever added to the game, which was one of the reasons we never added it to the n00bstories servers. I don't mind it so much in the mid/late game, but in the early game it just completely defeats the purpose of the credit/ref system and breaks the game. Having donate at the beginning of the game just ends up being an anti-fun mechanic. There's like 1-2 servers with players at any given time and when the game ends in the first 2 minutes because 2/4 of your buildings die to an APC/eng rush while players are still afk after the map switch, it just sucks and makes people leave.

Some kind of warm-up time after map load might help instead, but just disabling donate for the first couple minutes would be a lot simpler and would not have any downsides whatsoever.

Both have already been addressed for the next update. There is a little bit of a wait time before the round begins to wait for players to load up, and donations are now blocked for the first few minutes of the game (the length can be modified as a server setting).

• Totem Arts Staff

...because throwing a remote C4 at 5 bunched up free engineers is soooo hard. Don't think I've ever been on a team that actually lost to an APC rush. Beaten teams with them, but never been dumb enough to lose to them. Especially if you know it's coming.

Both have already been addressed for the next update. There is a little bit of a wait time before the round begins to wait for players to load up, and donations are now blocked for the first few minutes of the game (the length can be modified as a server setting).

This is a step in the right direction. Few people that I know of play with friends much less organize rushes with strangers. I rarely play with people I know and hate getting stomped by groups.

Some may argue that this is pandering to casual play. Maybe. But the truth is if you want to grow a stable community, you need to make it fun for as many people as possible. Not just the small pockets of friends who like to pubstomp.

:cool: Nice to know. Very important step :cool:

@Canucck and all the rest. Please use the searchfunktion or take a look to the topics. I still opened the same topic nearly two weeks ago: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74122.

We have to many topics in this forum, which have the same content.

Donate is some of the worst shit ever added to the game, which was one of the reasons we never added it to the n00bstories servers. I don't mind it so much in the mid/late game, but in the early game it just completely defeats the purpose of the credit/ref system and breaks the game. Having donate at the beginning of the game just ends up being an anti-fun mechanic. There's like 1-2 servers with players at any given time and when the game ends in the first 2 minutes because 2/4 of your buildings die to an APC/eng rush while players are still afk after the map switch, it just sucks and makes people leave.

Some kind of warm-up time after map load might help instead, but just disabling donate for the first couple minutes would be a lot simpler and would not have any downsides whatsoever.

Learn to defend! If you know it's coming, why do you deliberately rely on your teammates to defend when you can stay behind to preventative C4 key area's? hmmm? why should it always be the same people who need to defend, just so you can suck at attacking?

I'm fed up and tired of being the designated defender, mining the buildings and key entry points, just so that fucktards like you like to waste C4's and mines in the middle of the field, trying to suicide and not do any damage to the enemy to begin with!

When you see APC rushing to be a standard tactic in your sessions? Why not be the one trying to counter them? hmm?

I'm fed up and tired of being the designated defender, mining the buildings and key entry points, just so that fucktards like you like to waste C4's and mines in the middle of the field, trying to suicide and not do any damage to the enemy to begin with!

When you see APC rushing to be a standard tactic in your sessions? Why not be the one trying to counter them? hmm?

Its the nature of the game mate. I agree thou, Team work level: Call of Duty

• Totem Arts Staff
your forumrage makes me lol

And you've made yourself irrelevant and annoying in one fell swoop.

I'll admit the warm-up/grace period is a good idea for slow-loaders, but honestly defending APC rushes early on is a joke...If they've already got the teamwork to pool money, they've probably won anyway.

This is a step in the right direction. Few people that I know of play with friends much less organize rushes with strangers. I rarely play with people I know and hate getting stomped by groups.

Some may argue that this is pandering to casual play. Maybe. But the truth is if you want to grow a stable community, you need to make it fun for as many people as possible. Not just the small pockets of friends who like to pubstomp.

You are absolutly right A-Rodge. Many players dont know each other. And its difficult to make plans with foreign players. And especially new players arent aware of APC-rushes. So their game is already lost when it just had started. So if you dont want to have frustated players on the public servers, you need this warm up time and a block time for donation. Otherwise you will become a master of rushing in game, thats no one plays :-(

I'll admit the warm-up/grace period is a good idea for slow-loaders, but honestly defending APC rushes early on is a joke...If they've already got the teamwork to pool money, they've probably won anyway.

1 guy spamming for donations is an incredibly sad definition of teamwork. You're playing pubs in a game that only ever has 1-2 servers running while asking for more ways to try and pubstomp to win 5min games...

• Totem Arts Staff

1 guy spamming for donations is an incredibly sad definition of teamwork. You're playing pubs in a game that only ever has 1-2 servers running while asking for more ways to try and pubstomp to win 5min games...

Not sure if you're aware that it takes 5 people to make an APC rush actually work.

It's basically like any RTS: you'll figure out how to stop losing to rushes 5 minutes into every game you play, whether you talk to teammates or not. The first one you lose to is just your introduction into 'This is Not Battlefield'. But go on...more server options are usually a good thing, and that's the only good thing that will come from it.

Hopefully TmX doesn't spastically adopt no early donations before I return though.

• Totem Arts Staff

Well, you just gotta be smarter, and more cooperative. Look at the guys who usually are involved in APC rushes, and when he's your foe, you just gotta warn your teammates of possible rush.

Usually APC goes for Power Plant or Refinery (especially in Volcano, Walls or X-Mountain) if that helps. Better yet, get people to donate to you to buy your own APC, then you can decide whether to APC rush yourself, or just spoil the fun for the rusher by blocking the usually only entrance for APC. Sometimes teammates won't listen though, and then you're usually screwed up.

PS :

It was right though, being the only defender stinks. There were like 2 or 3 entrances and if you're patrolling without help, some people might slip in, especially dangerous if you're GDI. I find that camping at the entrances an easier way to stop STank or SBH, with a sizable tank like Mammoth for the main entrances, and preferably APC for tunnels (you really don't wanna get blasted by Ramjet). Sure you got mines to back you up, but they're not that reliable, and Hotwire and Tech aren't available early on.

Its the nature of the game mate. I agree thou, Team work level: Call of Duty

The nature of the game involves a learning curve if you want to have fun playing. People need to know, mine limit is needed for base defense, not for the casual C4-overkill (throwing down 20 of them at the base entrance in case of rushes(walls))

The learning curve involves prioritizing. Solo-heroeing is all fine and dandy, but if you try 5 times and keep failing, you might want to consider another approach with more teamwork. If you keep failing, you might want to disrupt enemy rushes when you encounter them, rather than repeating your failed tactic.

Learn whats more important, this does not involve abandoning your teammates.

Haha this made me lol :P His reaction indeed shows a different gameplay mentality towards Ren-X than whats needed to succeed in Ren-X.

The reason why I enjoy defense more than attacking, honestly, is because I suck at targetting :P Fair and square, I don't have the right setup, time and energy to calibrate and set my stuff up so I can hit 80% of my shots. I'd rather be usefull and succeed at something that does not involve that. Thats why I love Field. I'm the tunnel defender (especially on GDI) Nod has a hard time to pull off nukes at ref/bar. Or on Goldrush I'm the bar/Hon bridge defender.

As soon as I am overwhelmed, I'll ask for assistance. But the point is, it requires only 1 proficiënt defender to make it succeed. And it requires TEAMWORK and the need to recognize when TEAMWORK is essential!

And then you have those fucktards that screw the defense up because of overmining and/or abuse of remote C4's. It makes the defense near impossible. And I'm betting, it's people who reply like this who are actually doing it and cant say anything usefull to my point:

Early APC rushes were only a problem when there were still crashes, because half your team was gone.

Now its not a big problem.

Protip: You should always scout enemy tactics (its like an actual rts) When you see an APC, shout "APC INC", suicide (you are a free inf anyway), spawn in base and defend.

9 out of 10 times the rush will fail.

• Totem Arts Staff

If you have a good team yes. Frankly at times, no one even bothered to respond to my suggestions and just go their own way. Really, I'd appreciate even a 'no'. But nooo, they just ignore me, and other people in that matter. Yesterday was full of teamwork problems, that led to successful rushes EVERY GAME (except the one with base defenses). 2 guys got Skype to back them up, so they can organize easier. I tried to warn my teammates and told them to maintain full defense (or stay in MCT, especially since it's still so early). What did I get? Most people ran off to the enemy base without any result, and we lost Ref/PP for that. The game ends in 5 minutes at the longest. Very very satisfying

This also happened today when I was in Field, for different matter though. A Havoc was sniping on the tunnel entrance that I'm guarding. I told him to go get the arties instead of the guys on tunnels, especially since there's Sakura and probably Mendoza there. He didn't even respond and just go sniping the tunnels while I had an APC posting at the entrance, waiting safely for anyone foolish enough to face me and while the arties are happily bombing our WF ( thankfully it was marathon, point whoring is meaningless) and our tanks are getting mauled. I also requested one hottie to back me up, and I didn't get any. Again without any useful responses

0 teamwork is the big problem here

Seriously, I know it's for fun, and I do not mind getting mauled in the end. But if we only spend few minutes in one game like this, where's the fun in that? That ain't GG

well if you have no teamwork, you are going to lose anyway. Might as well lose quickly and get to the next match. But i agree, 0 teamwork can be very frustrating. 1 person can screw up for the whole team. I ragequit plenty

And the same for the next match and the next and the next. Being in the winning or losing team would be 50/50 as the guys carrying the team and/or organizing teamwork, usually join eachothers team. You must be lucky/unlucky to join them or not.

Even so, when you ae on the winning team, it isnt fun to win all the time without any events or difficulty.

Teamwork goes both ways, to win or to win a balanced match. I prefer the 2nd option.

The included automated teambalancing doesent work anymore since Beta 3. That is part of the problem.

Noted.

However, if you want to use a balancing system, do not solely base it on player score. I can understand it's hard to base it on anything else, but the point is, sitting in an arty, shooting at a building from a distance might be putting pressure on the other team, but is hardly the cause of a win.

Even if there is a great balancing system, mixing and matching teams to balance things out based on the previous game, people are still able to join the other team (e.g. 13v12 will result in 12v13) and unbalance it again.

Old ren did not have a team-switch ability afaik, so we'd have to deal with the team we've been given.

Voting is yet another issue, if the game isnt moving fast enough, people tend to initiate votes to force a change. This change brings about a new team-setup which is supposed to be balanced around the previous game, yet it wasnt finished, so the better players dont necessarily end up on top

Bots add a balancing issue, but they tend to communicate better with eachother than the players. E.g. Bot activity is distributed over the map based on the settings. Some stay behind and camp/stand still in plain sight, while others run around to the field doing nothing or into the tunnels.

Players either dominate the field or tunnels (or both) to get an edge. Players "forget" about the other piece of the puzzle or assume some other teammate takes care of it