Visible stealth as GDI

Jack Brace

There is a similar, yet different, threat about this from March this year. But as of Beta 3, while playing as GDI, I've frequently been seeing SBH and STanks as if I was playing NOD. When I see them I see there cloaked form from miles away.

So far it has happened to me mostly while playing Patch or driving a vehicle, and no one else seems to notice them. It also most frequently happens on XMountain.

I try not to take advantage of this, and sometimes fire a few shots in there direction to warn them, but in the heat of the moment I just point and shoot...

Got screenshots to prove, please note, I did not shot any of them nor expose them.

f6FGFpx.jpg

Right as I joined my first game today. Slightly to the upper left of the chorsair, screenshot didn't capture the one walking up the ramp to the right

tE979Y2.jpg

To the left of the corsair

vJFNGhX.jpg

3 in one screenshot, spot them ;)

Edited by Guest

Got screenshots to prove, please note, I did not shot any of them nor expose them.

f6FGFpx

Right as I joined my first game today. Slightly to the upper left of the chorsair, screenshot didn't capture the one walking up the ramp to the right

f6FGFpx,tE979Y2,Zle0dQP,vJFNGhX#1

To the left of the corsair

f6FGFpx,tE979Y2,Zle0dQP,vJFNGhX#3

3 in one screenshot, spot them ;)

Protip: Link the images on imgur directly rather than the links with the images embedded.

Try this.

f6FGFpx.jpg

tE979Y2.jpg

vJFNGhX.jpg

This will be a hard and extensive question to ask, but perhaps easier to answer when you have a 2nd PC or laptop on hand to write a reply.

What are your game settings? List every graphical settings, even the advanced ones (3 pages)

It seems to me that the observer either shows or doesnt show the stealthed unit by means of a graphic setting. As this is different between players, it accounts for the 1 person being able to see stealthed whereas the others dont.

I'll take some screenshots of the settings, np. As far as my specs go:

I5-2500K, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 560ti. A used to be top-of-mid range PC;)

Edit; the settings:

QIbQzld.jpg

k0d33L1.jpg

rpB5SfE.jpg

Edit 2;

It seems to me that the observer either shows or doesnt show the stealthed unit by means of a graphic setting

Almost, because it doesn't happen all the time, nor all match long, but once it happens it stays. It happened maybe 10~15 matches of 125 played.

Well, this is a very convenient bug for GDI, but gamebreaking to say the least.

GDI picks up an SBH spy crate but Nod is able to see the spy, bummer :P

In any case, your settings seem to be the same as mine, except for the gore, I've enabled it and set FOV to 100.

Now I know who to team up with on GDI lol :P walking stealth detector DEADSO

Now I know who to team up with on GDI lol :P walking stealth detector DEADSO

Don't count on it, those Walls screenshots GDI lost to a SBH nuking the Warfactory, but I saw him do it ;)

You are a model-renegader sir! You are not cheating (or not deliberately) but still have the egde, yet you don't (ab)use it!

Yet, countless others deliberately cheat to get the edge

Been investigating this a bit more in Skirmish.

It looks like it happens more often on lower resolutions. Played around with other settings; no effect yet.

On 1920x1080 it hasn't happened yet in latest tests.

The "glitch" is gone when I drive a STank as GDI.

Happens through launcher and normal exe.

You are a model-renegader sir! You are not cheating (or not deliberately) but still have the egde, yet you don't (ab)use it!

Yet, countless others deliberately cheat to get the edge

Thank you sir! Unless you're sarcastic. I played allot of Renegade back in the days, RenegadeX must succeed!

• Totem Arts Staff

It looks like it happens more often on lower resolutions.

Are you sure? I always play with 640 x 480 (yes... performance over quality. I'm paranoid with resolution, so screw blurry texts) on high-demanding games, Renegade X included. As I said before, I do believe I only spot SBHs when they're 5 feet away. So unless I'm near-sighted (which I am, my right eye is near-sighted, but I wear glasses) I don't think it has anything to do with resolution

It looks like it happens more often on lower resolutions.

Are you sure? I always play with 640 x 480 (yes... performance over quality. I'm paranoid with resolution, so screw blurry texts) on high-demanding games, Renegade X included. As I said before, I do believe I only spot SBHs when they're 5 feet away. So unless I'm near-sighted (which I am, my right eye is near-sighted, but I wear glasses) I don't think it has anything to do with resolution

Honestly, I have no clue what is causing it, I'm just guessing here.

Well, seems that the problem where my Video Card Drivers. *d'oh*. I won't post the faulty driver version here, for the once wishing to abuse it, but if devs are interested I'll PM them.

Since the problem seemed to get worse (more often/permanent with posted settings) I reinstalled the drivers and can so far confirm it hasn't happened yet.

Well, seems that the problem where my Video Card Drivers. *d'oh*. I won't post the faulty driver version here, for the once wishing to abuse it, but if devs are interested I'll PM them.

Since the problem seemed to get worse (more often/permanent with posted settings) I reinstalled the drivers and can so far confirm it hasn't happened yet.

Well, that's strange!

This is more evidence that stealth is handled client-(observer)-side, which is (I think) easier to manipulate than server-side.

Strange that something like an outdated videodriver is causing a game-breaking malfunction while it should actually be game-encoded rather than using graphics options.

Well, that's strange!

This is more evidence that stealth is handled client-(observer)-side, which is (I think) easier to manipulate than server-side.

Strange that something like an outdated videodriver is causing a game-breaking malfunction while it should actually be game-encoded rather than using graphics options.

Maybe missing functionality's, they where pretty old...

• 2 weeks later...

This bug happened to me only when (rarely):

1. Immediately after I join a server

2. After a vehicle explosion freeze

3. Alt-tabbing (full screen)

I think this bug goes away after death.

Something similar happens to me on Nod, but it's not as important gameplay wise. You can't see friendly SBH normally, only up close, like a GDI player. You can still highlight/outline them though from your weapon range. Same reasons as above.

Maybe the game is mistaking how you see stealth? Like if you're on GDI, the game confuses your vision to look like a Nod player's and vice versa?

• 2 weeks later...
It is a confirmed graphics driver issue. I just updated my NVIDIA Graphics Driver and the glitch is gone. Even though it's one hell of an exploit, I feel really bad for keeping it around.

And this is something that I realy dislike.

The game should detect whether or not some GFX features are mandatory or not. If a GFX driver does not support certain gamebreaking features, it shouldnt be able to start.

OR the game should be coded differently so the stealth is handled differently. What if cheaters purposely trying to find out the exact malfunction to "disable" stealth effects, or atleast make them visible as if they are on your team.

The way I see stealth being handled atm is as a GFX setting. The client game detects a mesh which does not show unless in close proximity. Code it to max that distance and voila, it's vissible throughout the map, even when on GDI.

Better yet, just downgrade your GFX to the version at which is not supported and there is "no cheat" at play, just a "bug".

I feel this should be changed

It is a confirmed graphics driver issue. I just updated my NVIDIA Graphics Driver and the glitch is gone. Even though it's one hell of an exploit, I feel really bad for keeping it around.

And this is something that I realy dislike.

The game should detect whether or not some GFX features are mandatory or not. If a GFX driver does not support certain gamebreaking features, it shouldnt be able to start.

OR the game should be coded differently so the stealth is handled differently. What if cheaters purposely trying to find out the exact malfunction to "disable" stealth effects, or atleast make them visible as if they are on your team.

The way I see stealth being handled atm is as a GFX setting. The client game detects a mesh which does not show unless in close proximity. Code it to max that distance and voila, it's vissible throughout the map, even when on GDI.

Better yet, just downgrade your GFX to the version at which is not supported and there is "no cheat" at play, just a "bug".

I feel this should be changed

To be honest, I don't know how the glitch came to be. I got a clean reinstall (old hard drive was screwed and had to get a new one) of RenX, started the game, and somehow noticed the exploit.

Didn't realize that the graphics driver was an issue until I came here. I didn't bother to upgrade my drivers on the bad HD because it made my screen flicker, though I suspect that my old hard drive's problem might've been the culprit.