cnc mode (game modes)

sippie12

• 2 weeks later...

There were other gamemodes in old Renegade :rolleyes:

The only one I remember was a CTF style variant which would call out "run, Forest, run" when the flag was taken. Infantry war... This would require some modifications to snipers though, since sniping is kinda easy. Advanced base defences would not be active. Yes, it was a mod, but was a fun one.

About the sniper variant: servers can make that mode by making everything cost like $100.000 except for the snipers (like EKT server made SBH $550).

If you want all the options into a single server, then people would need to vote double basically: once for the map and once for the game mode.

^_^

• 2 months later...

Making a sniper game mode isn't hard. The problem is the maps weren't designed for just sniper. Having it tunnels only or cutting certain parts off a map like Renegade wouldn't exactly be sniping for this game, especially how different the gameplay is from Renegade.

As for CTF, now that would be cool. And I don't know what you're talking about with "Run forest run" lol. It was basically "Nod has our flag" or "GDI has our flag" EVA voice and a few other sounds.

I believe this won't work, but I'd love to see RTS coming straight to FPS, and not just with buildings and charrie, but the whole system itself

Imagine driving an MCV, or be those engies that actually capture buildings. That'll be a crazy gamemode

So, something like Natural Selection?

I'd like to see something more of a compromise, though. The MCV driver deploys, then controls the base, becoming the commander. Basic infantry are controlled by the commander. Tanks are deployed without drivers, and guys have to be sent into them. Commandos, however, have much better stats than basic infantry. This extends to them taking over vehicles. They are also player controlled. Commanders can give them general orders which they are rewarded for following, perhaps with increased veterancy points, but they can disregard them.

• Totem Arts Staff
I believe this won't work, but I'd love to see RTS coming straight to FPS, and not just with buildings and charrie, but the whole system itself

Imagine driving an MCV, or be those engies that actually capture buildings. That'll be a crazy gamemode

So, something like Natural Selection?

I'd like to see something more of a compromise, though. The MCV driver deploys, then controls the base, becoming the commander. Basic infantry are controlled by the commander. Tanks are deployed without drivers, and guys have to be sent into them. Commandos, however, have much better stats than basic infantry. This extends to them taking over vehicles. They are also player controlled. Commanders can give them general orders which they are rewarded for following, perhaps with increased veterancy points, but they can disregard them.

I don't know what you mean by Natural Selection

I think it would be a complicated mode to code on (the devs need to know how to actually code a proper RTS, and various buildings and models need to be made) but at the same time, sounds awesome. I don't suppose there'll be too many complication with buildings, seeing they're most likely either one big mesh, or prefab

Random Scenario :

Commando : "Sir, I need a Mammy ASAP!"

GDI Commander : "Noooo, I'm saving our precious money for APC rush, go F yourself!"

• Totem Arts Staff

Well, monetize it!

Just kidding. Yeah, I was expecting that. Too much work to realize it

I'm also thinking about a mode where only one team gets a base while other team needs to destroy it/infiltrate it/complete certain objectives in an allotted time. That kinda sounds like UT's assault, yea, with classes and limited vehicle assets.

Off topic : would be nice to see the 'full version' of the buildings too. I still remember getting lost in HoN trying to find the MCT in single player. Then I also was like... 'oooh, cozy bunkbeds', but yea, you get the point

• Totem Arts Staff
Buggy/Humvee race.

OMG, that would be a fun side game.

So basically guys on each team would either buy a humvee/buggy on the WF/Airstrip and drive them to a designated point while the other works as harrassments (buy a speed-modified chinook or Orca/Apache and have them bully the oppossing team's vehicle)

Fan-made map called oasis I believe, was a huge, and I mean, HUGE map with like 3 AGT/Obelisks, couple powerplants bar's/Hon's/WF's/Strips just HUGE!

It was used half a year ago to stress-test a server by getting max people on at the same time, racing around the map.

I believe we used attack bikes and a modified humvee for added speed.

Maps the size we have in Ren-X would be unsuitable for races and designing a race-map would be ... sorry to say, waste of resources and waste of time for the Devs (because it is still not possible for fans to make and install maps, it has to be in a games build)

Well, i need to qoute myself from another topic (dont remeber which topic that was).

First idea: CTF but with a full functional base. You have all the abilitys ao the base and its buildings. So having an Airstrip/WF you can buy vehicles. Having the barraks/HoN you can advance characters. And of course dont forget Ref and Powerplant. But when you lose all this buildings you dont lose the game, cause its CTF. That means you still have to capture the score of flag to win and not to destroy the enemy base.

Second idea I had long ago is calling "Capture the Temple". You have in this mode a full functional base. Also there is the temple of Nod as techbuilding on the map. Condition to win is now the capture or "conquere" the temple. The Team thats holds the temple longer then 3 minutes in their possession wins.

Second idea I had long ago is calling "Capture the Temple". You have in this mode a full functional base. Also there is the temple of Nod as techbuilding on the map. Condition to win is now the capture or "conquere" the temple. The Team thats holds the temple longer then 3 minutes in their possession wins.

That would be quite an interesting game mode, a sort of King of the Hill. Like that game mode with the Psychic Beacon on Mental Omega. It would open up many tactical possibilities, as well, in that you could win either by holding the temple or by destroying the enemy base. Perhaps there could be Whiteout-esque static defenses, as well, in good positions to defend the temple but very able to be hit by MRLS/Artillery.

Capture the Flag / Crazy capture the flag were awesome back in the old renegade game, fondly remember going on the ekt servers purely for that reason even with goku and his hacks, would be a sweet introduction and i could see them filling up quickly as im sure it was personal favourite of fair few old schoolers. Sniper server also was very popular but i think this is one as much as i like it i wouldn't want to see return anytime soon

• Totem Arts Staff

Something I learned from Marathon : Apparently if you're good enough in defending, or the enemy is bad enough in attacking, you can actually hold the worst siege

I think this can make a game mode, where teams take turns on sieging the enemy base. Every 10 minutes or so, a team had an invincible base with invincible aura around them, but cannot attack enemies that are not around the aura as well. They have to siege the other team's base while the other team has to hold out until the siege is over. 1 minute ceasefire before the siege happens, so teams can prepare themselves.

As safety measure for campers, every time siege ends, a super airstrike is automatically called and wipes the defending base from enemies once the siege is over, and while in ceasefire or Nod's turn to defend, their SBHs and Stanks around the GDI base will become visible automatically until they leave. Teams also have to keep sieging, lest they will lose their turn to siege prematurely if the enemy buildings or units aren't taking any major damage from them after few minutes

I think this is easy to execute and can teach players how to really defend and rush. It's just another take from vanilla, except it's either full attack, or full defense

• 2 weeks later...

Some ideas I have for new gametypes are: Sniper only, Infantry only, Tank only, CTF, King of the Hill, Infection, Co-op, and something like Oddball, from Halo.

For those who haven't played Halo, Oddball was basically where your team held a skull and got points for holding onto it.

King of the Hill was another Halo gametype. Your team held a point on the map to get points. The point would move to another spot. Both Oddball and KotH were both very fun.