FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently. #2

Jam

prologue- I play a free2play game that's shutting down in July. (where someone mentioned this game actually, when I asked about FPS's with vehicles).

Should I be spreading the word while this game is still in Beta? (risking people trying out an unfinished game, then abandoning it in favor of something else)

This is my first experience with beta, so... expect naivety/lack of awareness.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I recently went back to playing the original Renegade before rediscovering that Renegade X was still active. When I went online, I discovered that most players actually forgot about the vehicle co-pilot/gunner feature and then I noticed how there was a lock vehicle bind key.

Having many fond experiences with the vehicle gunner feature back in the early 2000s, I feel that reintroducing this feature as a vehicle binding option similar to the Lock key in a future update or in the 1.0 update could add (or reintroduce) some new elements to multiplayer.

Seeing as how some players are better at aiming than driving, there should be an option to give the 1st immediate passenger (co-pilot) access to vehicle's weapons so the driver can focus on...well...driving. Having played Renegade X for about a month now, I've already lost count of how many times I've seen players try to fire at buildings and other vehicles only to crash into a wall or tree (all while having another passenger inside of their vehicle). For players that still can't see the practicality of this missing feature, have you ever tried driving an artillery or hummer seconds away from exploding back to base for repairs and find yourself unable to shoot the enemies pursuing you? That's where the co-pilot feature came in (hence why so many vehicles have one extra passenger seat).

Maybe it can be bound to 'P' so teammates can be granted access to the guns while the vehicle is locked. And 'P' can be pressed a second time to reinstate weapon controls to the driver.

Anywho, I'm surprised so many people forgot how great this feature was (considering it was part of the Training/Boot Camp mission). I really hope bringing this feature back is taken into consideration.

Also, to deal with annoying bots, maybe there can be an exception added where players can kick bots out of the vehicles driver seat the moment they enter the vehicle (would definitely fix all of the purchased or repaired vehicle theft).

Oh my, I remember that feature! Although i wasn't there back then. My experiences with that function was albeit fun but not very useful because of the bad netcoding. It would be a fun addition to the game, but i do doubt it's usefulness at times. It's more abkut sharing the fun of firing with a tank than anything else, which was pretty nice :D

but in the end, I don't think we're going to see this function in-game anytime soon unless someone decides to make a mutator for it. Either way, let's hope for the best ;)

Vehicle gunner feature was pretty useless in Renegade. Generally flat and narrow terrain doesn't need a separate driver/gunner. It worked in PS1 because terrain mattered and because driving was more difficult, you were noticeably more capable in each role because there was much more for each to do and take into consideration.

A dedicated driver/gunner combo in Renegade is counter productive, the gains are far outweighed by having that 2nd player rep you, drive another tank, or fill any other impactful role. Atm, and in the original, having a dedicated gunner puts your team at a definite disadvantage unless the other team is doing something even dumber.

The only vehicle it could make sense on is the mammy with driver controlling the turrets and gunner controlling the rockets. But even then you'd have to rebalance both weapons and make the rockets gunner-only in order for it to play out well.

• Totem Arts Staff
Vehicle gunner feature was pretty useless in Renegade. Generally flat and narrow terrain doesn't need a separate driver/gunner. It worked in PS1 because terrain mattered and because driving was more difficult, you were noticeably more capable in each role because there was much more for each to do and take into consideration.

A dedicated driver/gunner combo in Renegade is counter productive, the gains are far outweighed by having that 2nd player rep you, drive another tank, or fill any other impactful role. Atm, and in the original, having a dedicated gunner puts your team at a definite disadvantage unless the other team is doing something even dumber.

The only vehicle it could make sense on is the mammy with driver controlling the turrets and gunner controlling the rockets. But even then you'd have to rebalance both weapons and make the rockets gunner-only in order for it to play out well.

Try driving with a ping over 400 then tell me again just giving the gun to someone else on an APC is counter-productive.

Try driving with a ping over 400 then tell me again just giving the gun to someone else on an APC is counter-productive.

If you have time, make the switch weapons controller. I took a look at vehicle seats, and it shouldn't be too hard to do. Even if it's entirely driver-control, like vehicles have "weapon slots" and you can choose "driver turret" and "passenger turret". Although it might seem cleaner to actually program a special swap button for it.

Why not the same as in old-ren, where you press Q to switch gun control to t he 1st passenger?

For example when you do a humvee/APC rush in the beginning, driving is more important that shooting any target along the way. So giving up the gun control t hen to the 1st passenger is a great way to drive perfectly and shoot good at the same time.

I agree with Canucck that if you have 2 people in 1 tank, controlling the field, this would be useless. But thats where the Q button comes into play. Smart players only use it in a rush and disable gun-control to the 1st passenger when they do not intend to leave the field.

I mentioned my idea for sake of ease, as seats have weapon slots and multiple seats can use weapons but if same time obviously it would be jerky. Needs added to the seats first. Then, it is moderately more work to assign a special button to toggle it opposed to "weapon slots"

I wouldn't say the feature is entirely useless. It gives the driver a chance to repair their vehicle while someone covers them. It's atleast better than trying to do so while worrying about a hijacker. Plus, there's plenty of games that still use the feature and still hold pretty well. Battlefront 1&2, Halo 1,2,3, Borderlands. Borderlands and Battlefront would be the best examples considering Battlefront used a similar class system and Borderlands used the exact same driver/gunner system as Renegade.

I just hope the feature comes back eventually. Some might say it was a useless feature but, I never had a bad experience with it.