FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently. #2

Jam

The function actually worked just like that in renegade as well. It was just harder to notice because of the fact that there was only one reticle per every weapon. If you ever downloaded any reticles for renegade, you'd likely become far more aware of this.

The possible visibility disadvantage just means that you would have to use scope/iron sight for that weapon in those circumstances if you need to. In a way, it is promoting the use of sniper scoping, which is a good thing. Hipfiring a sniper was always OP in renegade, and this along with a small hipfire spread is how renegade x is attempting to counter that problem.

I do agree with your last paragraph though - the original renegade crosshair worked well universally, since there was only 1 reticle per every weapon there.

If any specific crosshair is a consistent problem among players, the possibility of the devs editing it is always there. I suggest giving them all a chance, and if any issue comes up, expressing it then. I do understand where you're coming from, but principle and practice are 2 different things, and I personally do not have a problem with any reticle in practice. We will see if the same can be said for you :)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting about the crosshair in Renegade, I never used a custom crosshair. Yeah, you're right, we'll see how it goes when I actually play.

I have another unrelated question to ask.

Graphic wise, the game seems to have a few visibility issues. This could be a general youtube/stream problem, but I have to ask.

Can you turn off bloom/HDR/general post processing effects? The game has a lot of situations where its very hard to see. Some of the maps are in plain daylight but look dark, also. Every goldrush video, I basically cannot see anything thats happening and when the sun mixes up, you just get blinded by everything.

Otherwise, there is way too much effects in general. Walls_flying looks particularily ugly because of those effects.

Am I wrong from what I'm getting from those videos and most importantly, can those effects be turned off?

Interesting about the crosshair in Renegade, I never used a custom crosshair. Yeah, you're right, we'll see how it goes when I actually play.

I have another unrelated question to ask.

Graphic wise, the game seems to have a few visibility issues. This could be a general youtube/stream problem, but I have to ask.

Can you turn off bloom/HDR/general post processing effects? The game has a lot of situations where its very hard to see. Some of the maps are in plain daylight but look dark, also. Every goldrush video, I basically cannot see anything thats happening and when the sun mixes up, you just get blinded by everything.

Otherwise, there is way too much effects in general. Walls_flying looks particularily ugly because of those effects.

Am I wrong from what I'm getting from those videos and most importantly, can those effects be turned off?

Could just be youtube compression. For the most part, players are pretty easy to see on most maps. Taking Walls for example, it's pretty easy to spot even a sniper poking it's head over the cliffs from the bases. Field can be a little difficult at times; being set at night and all but I know lower graphical settings can make it easier to see with all the fancy effects turned off.

Field can be a little difficult at times; being set at night and all but I know lower graphical settings can make it easier to see with all the fancy effects turned off.

That right there is a pretty bad design decission.

I dont see why.

Sure, Renegade and RenX arent meant to be totally realistic, but isnt the entire point of RenX to introduce graphical upgrades to the original? And isnt a graphical upgrade's entire purpose, by definition, to bring the virtual world closer to a realistic world? And is it not true that spotting a single person from a distance in real life can be a little difficult due to things like light reflection/refraction, blooming, and pattern recognition?

Field can be a little difficult at times; being set at night and all but I know lower graphical settings can make it easier to see with all the fancy effects turned off.

That right there is a pretty bad design decission.

I dont see why.

Sure, Renegade and RenX arent meant to be totally realistic, but isnt the entire point of RenX to introduce graphical upgrades to the original? And isnt a graphical upgrade's entire purpose, by definition, to bring the virtual world closer to a realistic world? And is it not true that spotting a single person from a distance in real life can be a little difficult due to things like light reflection/refraction, blooming, and pattern recognition?

I think the point they tried to make is 'lower graphics=better visibility=better play'

I have to disagree. Although some graphic settings are troublesome (motion blur is the worst!), better graphics in general will probably give an advantage.

1. Will we be able to join a game on the same team as a friend?

2. If you disconnect/leave a game and rejoin, do you keep your points and credits?

about 1.

in old renegade you always autojoined 1 side and could not change.

once you got used to it, it does not matter ...

specially if you become a regular on 1 or 2 servers, cuz you know the most other players ...

then you always play with and against some friends :)

later on it was modded, so you could offer a "switch team" to the public, but you needed someone else to accept it and switch with you ...

that would be a good idea, but only if it is limited to the first 2-5 minutes

hope it is like this in RenegadeX

about 2.

in original it was like this ...

i believe it will be like that in RenegadeX

--

I know I am not DEV or tester ... but just in case i thought i give you the idea of how it was in original

2. If you disconnect/leave a game and rejoin, do you keep your points and credits?

1 has previously been explained I believe. It has been discussed, and it is up to the devs on whether or not they will implement such an algorithm.

2 is yes. Same as Renegade. Saves the credits and points by nickname. Haven't tested it, but this was a key element that I know wouldn't be removed (if it isn't in the game now it will be).

I did see one video where it didn't happen, not sure if it was a one time thing or if it's fixed now. I think it was the video where theGunrun leaves to change his graphics settings but when he got back he was put on the same team but his points and credits were reset.

Another question that was asked before but not given a definite answer: Will quick-180 be returning?

They did say that free aim won't be making it in.

About 180 this was all that was said:

"If it's up to me that'll not be in either but there's still some discussion surrounding that."

I suppose thats true. It felt, based on the way they said it, that it most likely wont make it into the final game.

Two things that bug me but aren't actually bugs.

1. The building icons on the bottom of the HUD aren't symmetrical between GDI and Nod.

2. The overall team score on the top right doesn't change position. GDI is always on top even if they have fewer points.

Will these be changed?

Will there be Xbox 360 controller or other gamepad support?

Can we get an exact time of release? I'm planning on skipping work for the release.

Tech building question time! Is the armory going to be implemented soon or at all? Is it possible to activate some tech buildings or certain effects of tech buildings without the tech building? (Server side option)

Also, when and how ate the motion sensors and such that do not need a tech building going to be released? Is this going to be map specific or a server side option (or of course both)?

I had more but I'll post that when I remember.

Tech building question time! Is the armory going to be implemented soon or at all? Is it possible to activate some tech buildings or certain effects of tech buildings without the tech building? (Server side option)

You got me curious there.

I think if not, this should be an option.

about 1.

in old renegade you always autojoined 1 side and could not change.

once you got used to it, it does not matter ...

specially if you become a regular on 1 or 2 servers, cuz you know the most other players ...

then you always play with and against some friends :)

later on it was modded, so you could offer a "switch team" to the public, but you needed someone else to accept it and switch with you ...

that would be a good idea, but only if it is limited to the first 2-5 minutes

hope it is like this in RenegadeX

about 2.

in original it was like this ...

i believe it will be like that in RenegadeX

--

I know I am not DEV or tester ... but just in case i thought i give you the idea of how it was in original

Just to "+1" - I loved being able to control playing WITH my friends of course (similar to most multiplayer games today being able to form a party and play as a combined party)... and in renegade, sure you could call this cheating a tiny bit but we took advantage of the autojoin-back-to-your-team feature...

One would join. Say he was GDI. Any new joins always went to smallest team, so timing it right I would disconnect, let my friend get into my "slot" as GDI... then I could rejoin, always GDI since it looked like a reconnect.

Of course I don't actually want the glitch... I just want the ability to be able to "join as a party"; is that in the net code/interface either as the original algorithm or as a feature?

Any Tipps on how to deal with guard towers? Or do i have to wait for the tanks and other vehicles to destroy him before i can try to bomb the enemy base?

Wich GDI class is best suited for base infiltration? NOD has the stealthy guy but it seems like GDI has nothing like that wich gives NOD a little advantage or am i missing something here?

Any Tipps on how to deal with guard towers? Or do i have to wait for the tanks and other vehicles to destroy him before i can try to bomb the enemy base?

Wich GDI class is best suited for base infiltration? NOD has the stealthy guy but it seems like GDI has nothing like that wich gives NOD a little advantage or am i missing something here?

Dealing with guard towers comes down to rushing them with tanks, APC rush or long range bombardment. Another way would be destroying the power plant, which is sometimes much easier to do depending on the map.

GDI isn't supposed to be tailored to stealth, GDI is a hard hitting big vehicles and big weapons type faction, whereas Nod is more of a tactical, specialized strike faction.

Building death is permanent per map; once theyre dead, theyre dead. The idea of adding a contstruction yard that could rebuild buildings was floated around, but dont expect the feature anytime soon, if ever.

The best way to prevent engi rushes is to mine the hell out of the entrances of buildings or tunnels. Other than that, just try to destroy the enemy's base faster than they can destroy yours.

Building death is permanent per map; once theyre dead, theyre dead. The idea of adding a contstruction yard that could rebuild buildings was floated around, but dont expect the feature anytime soon, if ever.

That would be interesting. Building death being only temporary (obviously it should still take a while to rebuild) unless you also successfully destroy the construction yard. This could make for crazy long marathon games, though.

On mesa, move snipers onto the hills beside the enemy bases by using the bridge in the middle of the map. They can usually pin down engineers long enough to give your team a chance to destroy their armor and push against their defenses.

Thank you :) Any other tipps for dealing with agt/obelisk?

And another Question. How do i link my steam account to the game so i can track my stats?

On mesa, move snipers onto the hills beside the enemy bases by using the bridge in the middle of the map. They can usually pin down engineers long enough to give your team a chance to destroy their armor and push against their defenses.

And another Question. How do i link my steam account to the game so i can track my stats?

Just have steam running when you're playing the game. I think

Id say, if the tunnel is gridlocked, try going around the side and taking out the PP with either an engi rush or arty/MRL.

Just wondering how the game will be updated? I realize the game was only released 3 days ago, but will it auto update or do I need to check back here for future patches?

And not that I expect any response about this question but, any thoughts on the frequency of patches, especially in the very beginning like this?

On the "desert map" (can't remember the name), with the infantry-only cave/ancient ruins in the center beneath a flat, high rock outcropping, what is a viable defensive strategy for GDI? So far, I think GDI lost every match on this map because even as the tunnel that leads from outside under the base entrance to two openings inside the base gets heavily mined, SBHs manage to sneak through the main entracne (I imagine) to plant nukes all over the place, resulting in TBK (Total Base Kill) every single time :) So if the Hand of Nod is not taken out in the first few minutes, does NOD rally have a major advantage or is this just my imagination and GDI forces just have to suck it up and counter by massed Mammoth attacks and/or APC rushes?

On the "desert map" (can't remember the name), with the infantry-only cave/ancient ruins in the center beneath a flat, high rock outcropping, what is a viable defensive strategy for GDI? So far, I think GDI lost every match on this map because even as the tunnel that leads from outside under the base entrance to two openings inside the base gets heavily mined, SBHs manage to sneak through the main entracne (I imagine) to plant nukes all over the place, resulting in TBK (Total Base Kill) every single time :) So if the Hand of Nod is not taken out in the first few minutes, does NOD rally have a major advantage or is this just my imagination and GDI forces just have to suck it up and counter by massed Mammoth attacks and/or APC rushes?

You're talking about walls. And server owners can decide what the mine limit will be. Anything below 30 on a flying map would make GDI have a baaaaad time...

For walls flying usually GDI should try to keep the field occupied with armour or airborn and push. Sbh are useless units most of the time so you will have better numbers. For defense, if one person mines up and stays back with a humvee, he can check most common nuke spots all game long. Sbh will think twice if everything is mined up and a person is patrolling. Put extra mines on the warf slope.

For walls flying usually GDI should try to keep the field occupied with armour or airborn and push. Sbh are useless units most of the time so you will have better numbers. For defense, if one person mines up and stays back with a humvee, he can check most common nuke spots all game long. Sbh will think twice if everything is mined up and a person is patrolling. Put extra mines on the warf slope.

Honestly only having 1 defend is what causes most of GDI loses on the map. One person can usually hold off the solo nukes, but eventually NOD will start sending more when they see the solo fail time and time again. You usually want 2 to 4 base defenders.

Honestly only having 1 defend is what causes most of GDI loses on the map. One person can usually hold off the solo nukes, but eventually NOD will start sending more when they see the solo fail time and time again. You usually want 2 to 4 base defenders.

With all the new players, it's unlikely anyone would be willing to defend for the whole game (or at all really). This is why GDI ends up losing most defense-less maps like Walls and Islands. I've still seen cases where a nuke doesn't get any attention from GDI in a 40 player game.