Beyond Black Dawn

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

166ddlt.pngRx_PlaySession.jpg

Hey guys! It's been a few months since our most recent media release, and we're working daily to bring a quality game to our loyal fanbase. The style of this update will be more "down and personal", but if you're too tl;dr about it, at least check out the video smile.gif

2 Years Since First ReleaseThe 2nd Year Anniversary of the first Renegade X beta release is coming up in a few days. Renegade X version 0.35 was released on September 30th, 2009. Since then, we've made five beta releases, earned several awards from Epic Game's MSUC and ModDB, and have begun our move to the Unreal Development Kit. The current Renegade X beta, version 0.55, was released for Unreal Tournament 3 last year around this time, gaining widespread attention and tens of thousands of downloads.

The World of DevelopmentAnd since then, the public sphere has been calm - the team has crawled back into its hole, which is quite nostalgic of the early stages of the project - and started working on the standalone version of Renegade X. We have been making substantial progress on the project regularly, but instead of putting out updates every week, we'd rather give out the news in big chunks. Renegade X right now is constantly being refined, and we prefer showing what is finished rather than what is in progress.

We recently put out an ad saying we had some positions available for people wanting to join the project. Since then, we've received over 150 applicants, all coming from different artistic disciplines. So there have been some additions to the team, but there are still some positions open. Namely, if you're a programmer, animator, character artist, or environment artist, check out the following thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/808326-Renegade-X-is-looking-for-talent!

Soul Searching

We've recently been reviewing our project and how far we have gotten. We began development of Renegade X years ago, when most of us were still in highschool. The team and the project have come a long way, and as we've matured, so has our vision for Renegade X. During the UT3 beta phase, we were strictly a remake mod of Command & Conquer Renegade, and we were very conservative with changes that would effect gameplay. From that perspective, the UT3 betas succeeded, because we kept true to the original game, remaking its maps, the vast majority of its ratios, and slipping only a few new things in between.

With the UDK, we see a glowing opportunity to bring Renegade X to its climax. Over the summer, we've written a new Game Design Document and began executing our new vision for the project - we want Renegade X to be less of a remake, and more of a spiritual successor to Westwood's classic in 2002. Renegade X will still be the Command & Conquer FPS everyone knows and loves, but brought to the modern day. Some innovations have been inspired by other contemporary FPS games, while others have always existed within the team and community, and it is only now that we are bringing these things to life. We want to emphasize the "X" in Renegade X.

Other changes are not necessarily gameplay oriented - our visual, audio, and animation work is constantly evolving.

Beyond Black Dawn

In the video log below, we show some never-before-seen snippets of Black Dawn gameplay, cinematics, and I discuss some of the new innovative changes this post has described earlier. It will also feature the first look at Renegade X's UDK multiplayer maps. The video has TONNES of new content that you don't want to miss.

YouTube:

ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/renegade-x/videos

Direct Link: http://www.renegade-x.com/Rx_BeyondBlackDawn.mp4

We hope you've enjoyed this update. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, ModDB and at Renegade-X.com

http://www.renegade-x.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Command-Conquer-Renegade-X/51097837430

http://twitter.com/#!/RenXGame

http://www.moddb.com/mods/renegade-x2z5pq39.jpg

• Former Developers
You best be joking with that weapon carry limit.

Best be joking? Just how many weapons do you carry around in Renegade, and dont say "oh this one time..." yeah, what about all the other times? lemme guess, your main gun, a pistol and a C4. Dont worry though, the limit only applies on primary weapons with a cap of 2 primary weapons.

• Former Developers
Hey, two questions!

Is this compatible with the Steam version of UT3?

I read that the UDK has been updated for Mac OSX support, is this possible for the mod?

Yes the ut3 mod version is compatible with the steam version.

The UDK has been updated to support mac OSX, and I dont have a mac so I cant really test because this new feature for mac compatibility was announced just a few days ago with the september udk. I'm guessing that yes it will work with Mac OSX, but like I said this is new to UDK and we ourselves have not yet tested it.

On one hand, I'm sad that most of the original maps won't be playable (if at all) in the first multiplayer version of black dawn.

But seeing the SCOPE of the new game, halleluya, this trumps AFF! I was in doubt for a while which I found more fun, AFF with a great scope of diversive battles, or my all-time favourite and only REAL TACTICAL shooter out there. But with such large scale battles, this is going to rock.

What kind of new maps were you thinking about? I really, REALLY hope you will make the first game with a REAL sea/land incorporated battle. Where you actually have to use boats to land on your enemies shore and start attacking land inwards, or you can go around their island to their port and try and blow their base from the sea.

I saw those A-10's used as AA, will Nod ever use artillery or something similar to bomb GDI's advance during the campaign? will the A-10's be usable for airstrikes? If the maps are going to be bigger, will you be able to FLY one of those?

I saw that the original '500' sniper is now turned into a heavy machine gun with low magazine cap? So how many different weapons will the game feature?

-AR rifle

-stumpy laserrifle

etc

The mammoth tank has become more TW style, I quite like the mass rockets fired, how will that play out in the multiplayer?

Lights: at one point during that teaser, it was rather dark. Will the game feature (near)pitch darkness and the necessity of using flash/head lights? would be a real cool additional feature.

As for tech buildings, I hope you intent to make those watchtowers one of them. From simply a sniperpoint to the ability to call in airstrikes or something (when there's a radar on top) to revealing the positions of nearby enemy's on the map, they would be fun to fight around. A rush towards the tower, an open, dangerous stairwell, having to fight your way up top and then having to clear out all enemies within. Would be fun!

What is the scope of players you intent to go for in the multiplayer? If the maps are going to be bigger, then you will need more players (or AI to back you up). Even the small maps of Renegade were only fun when you had more then 20+ players, as you could really divide tasks between everyone, with room to spare to shift people from one duty to another.

Infantry: I saw rolling, will it feature a cover system or lying prone? will the AI actively use that system to their advantage? What kind of 'upgrades' can you earn, defence, armor, speed, capability of calling in ammo drops, secondary modes on your weapons, more clip room, better or different standard pistols (machine pistol, shotgun pistol, desert eagle, explosive ammo), longer range before bullet dropoff, better control over vehicles, what, WHAT!?!?!?

needless to say, you are driving me crazy... I saw only a little, and now all you leave me wanting with is more! I might actually get pumped up before the release of BD...

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

Boy did I look forward to the end of this day. I heard about the new trailer at work, but had no way to watch it! Finally watched it and as Buzzer said, it's an awesome video - as always. Definitely looking forward to that new infantry system and the tac-building update! Hats off, developers!

i just watched the teaser vid 4 times in a row. i'm really impressed by the latest updates. Nice work on the new maps. I'm really looking forward to playing these. And i just wanted to tell you, that i'm with you on the new policies. They just make a lot of sense. Keep up the good work!

ok, somehow you managed to go a completely different way and still blow away the fans and the community. and i applaud you for that.

Please keep up with the original ideas, most of them are simply awesome (like that VERY NICE new HUD ^^)

As he stated, you managed to add lots of radical changes that seem to be the next stage in Renegade's gameplay, without offending most of the players and fans.

Normal games already have a ton of opposition the moment small changes are occuring. For bigger changes that are an actual improvement but completely ignored by fans, you could look at C&C Generals.

While there were some faults in the gameplay that were debatebly a downgrade of the original C&C gameplay type, the radical differences between factions, great diversity of units and (at least in singleplayer) good balance of the factions showed an incredible increase in the quality of the game.

Everything does seem to be an improvement on the original Renegade C&C style. Let's hope the essence of fun in Renegade remains in this new, updated version.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

I love this update. So I've only been gone like a year, whatever. Checked back in cause my computer is slightly operational now, and I find a fustercluck of awesome information and updates. YES.

Redownloading UT3......................

Single player sounds awesome... could we put in some kinda co-op though? It's probably not realistic to you guys, but taking over Gunner or maybe introducing that Logan for some Co-op missions would be SICK. I don't know if you've gotten that request before, but it's just some food for thought.

Looks great guys :) Super excitedd

I was browsing through YouTube because I was sad about how dead the original Renegade was.

I stumbled upon your Black Dawn trailer, and it did more than just make my day.

I...

I cried a little...

This is the most awesome thing I've seen in a long while.

It will be incredible if it's even remotely close to the original.

You guys are awesome, expect to be seeing more of me. ;)

So it sort of sounds like the project is coming close to a release. Could it be a fair assessment to expect some kind of release in February 2012? Ya know, 10 years after the release of the original Renegade [aka 'X' years after]?

Or would that be too presumptuous of me? This news just makes me very excited about Black Dawn and the standalone release.

I'm literally shaking when I saw the trailer, it's totally awesome. I haven't been this excited since I saw the trailer for the original Renegade.

BTW, is there a wallpaper version of the Black Dawn picture with Sydney, Hotwire and Gunner available? It looks awesome. (who's the guy standing next to Havoc with a shotgun anyway?)

Some hints in the video... I can only guess.

Battles within a ship? the launching bay of the hovercraft looks too detailed to be just a prop. Also, the hovercraft has real good detail, enough room for a tank and several infantry, sea battles I hope!

Bigger airstrips? If vehicles would be dropped with THAT transport, it would really be awesome. Players might actually be able to queue several vehicles even as it arrives, and while it flies in they are all dropped in one go.

I see an icon in the HUD at 00:49 that shows a tiny man in a running stance. One of the new features could be that you have several stances, like sprinting, jogging, walking etc. Each having an effect on your accuracy and reload rate or something.

Also, the chaingun is rather stocked: 463/1000 bullets. There is some text below, but can't make it out. It might be something to do with weapon life, there is a bar below the ammo counter. This could be a representation of the amount of ammo left, the quality of the weapon (the lower it get's, the more likely of missfire/worse accuracy?)

Looking at later footage, it's an ammo counter bar.

At 00:53, you can clearly see a speaker icon on the new scope machine gun, directional microphone still available? Also, the giant movement markers could be used in the multiplayer to order friends around.

1:02: AI capable of handling tanks, great!

1:10: Dodgerolls, perhaps cover system?

1:20: in the distance, you can see a destroyed building which looks like the HON, actual complete destruction of buildings available?

1:31: return of nightvision scope on snipers

1:41: Havoc is carrying 3 primary weapons :P

2:16: weapon emplacements with zoom function?

2:18: As Fobby explains about tech buildings and their advantages, Gunner is holding up a red tipped bullet. Maybe a damage increase or special ability for certain weapons could be gained with some tech buildings?

As maps become bigger, wrecks won't be such a problem during rushes. You see helicopter and tank wreckage everywhere, so I guess that will be a new feature. TA tried to add it earlier on already.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

An question for the youtube channel of jam:

Will the "NOD recon bike" and the "GDI Sedan/Pickup-truck" be added to the game in the future? And how will they make there comeback? Will they again appear in some kind of "extra cheat buy terminal" or will we see it just in the normal buy terminal?

While they where weak and almost useless, they where nice to use as fast transport.

• 1 month later...
Kenz and me are making a video analysis of the Beyond Black Dawn trailer and I can only say that there's a shitload going on. We've got about 5 minutes on the first 30 seconds already, stay tuned. ;-)

black dawn or beyond black dawn? and 5 minutes for 30 seconds??

hehe i'm gonna like this :3