You Picking This Up? Good.

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

5x3ma0.png

Renegade X is a Tactical FPS mod for Unreal Tournament 3. Soon, Renegade X will be a standalone indie game - starting with the singleplayer "Black Dawn" demo release, then by the multiplayer UDK version.

So... while we were under a rock working hard on the upcoming versions of Renegade X, we noticed that it's been months since we've made an update. With our level editors, environment artists, programmers, audio engineers, and testers all busy developing the game and using up our quota of elbow grease, we were too busy to notice a bastion of fans waiting at our front door for us to bring home the bacon.

But what was there to show? The cinematics we've been working on, perhaps? Maybe a premature beta release of some kind? While some would enjoy these kinds of updates, we are, unfortunately, perfectionists. Is that unfortunate? On the negative side, you'll have to wait for the goodies, but when they come, they'll be good-ee indeedy.

A lot is happening behind the scenes - Black Dawn has gone into its testing and polishing stage, and many preparations are being made for multiplayer before we go all-out on it. Before we do any big updates, we wanted to slip in a Work in Progress development blog with pretty pictures to warm you all up for what's coming.

Operation Black Dawn: Work In Progress

Black Dawn will be the first standalone iteration of Renegade X. It is a singleplayer mini-campaign, and you will play as GDI commando Captain Nick "Havoc" Parker. After invading a Nod island stronghold, your objective is to rescue captured GDI scientists and POWs. Most of the resources used in Black Dawn will be used again in multiplayer, so therefore, Black Dawn is a necessary (and fun) stepping stone to that future release.

Here are some fresh images:

Rx_BD_SS_01.2.jpg

Rx_BD_SS_02.2.jpg

Rx_BD_SS_04.2.jpg

2rdj9jn.jpg

20p908y.jpg

2egbi9l.jpg

Rx_BlackDawn_Wallpaper_03.jpg

ip1elw.jpg

To see more images, wallpapers, and videos, visit http://www.renegade-x.com

Renegade X 0.554 Frontend Update!

On the 23rd, we released an autopatch for Renegade X 0.55 for Unreal Tournament 3. This patch was dedicated entirely to the Frontend (server client), adding new features to it. The new Frontend includes an IRC Chatroom, where players can communicate with each other and organize games more easily. It also includes a new compressing system for speedy downloads and better error reporting.

You can upgrade to 0.554 simply by launching your Renegade X Frontend and approving the update. If you have any issues, feel free to report to this thread: http://www.renegade-x.com/forums/showth ... #post36706

2l91t1u.jpg

Dev Night - July 2nd and July 3rd!

Time to get back to the battlefields, and now that summer has officially rolled in, you've got no excuse. On Saturday July 2nd and Sunday July 3rd, be a renegade! Join some members of the development team for a game of Renegade X v.0.55 for Unreal Tournament 3. This is your opportunity to play with the Renegade X developers, ask questions, and team up with us or against us.

Both events will occur starting at 3:00pm EST (Eastern Standard Time)

If you haven't tried the beta yet, what are you waiting for? Pick up Unreal Tournament 3, get the latest patch, and download Renegade X 0.55 at http://www.renegade-x.com

We will be playing on the "RenegadeXServer.com Slaughtehouse #1" server.

See you there!

Looking for help!

The team is looking for:

1. Programmers with experience in Unreal Script. We will also accept those efficient in C++, C#, Java, and other languages who are willing to start learning Uscript.

2. Character Artists capable of creating high-poly and low-poly characters, normal maps, and 2048x2048 textures.

3. Environment Artists with Unreal Editor experience. We will also accept prop artists with no editor experience.

Farewell for now!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Command- ... 1097837430

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/RenXGame

ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/renegade-x

The picture with the beautifull fire... is that a giant dead orca underneath?

Anyways, I hope it works out well. Maybe start a thread where anyone who finished the short campaign can post something. That way you get both a count of how many players have played it, and how well it's received + feedback on what was liked/hated.

Hope you could add a quick 'dead man walking' feature to test out weapons and vehicles a bit (unlimited enemies and no health-pickups, loaded on small portions of the island, perhaps a few vehicles to be obtainable)

Edit: omg, is the size of the vehicles in the campaign based on REAL proportions? cos it looks to me like the tanks are way bigger then normal while infantry has remained the same.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

It purty. Good thing I just finished my PC upgrades. Core i3 overclocked to 4.04Ghz, 5830 overclocked to 900Mhz/5.0Ghz, and an SSD.

It's impressive what the Unreal Engine 3 can do, especially when the Crytek engine is the one getting all of the attention. This looks better and probably runs way better than Crysis.

PS. Is this DirectX 10 or 11?

• Former Developers

Had some good games today, hopefully tomorrow will have more players.

Okay guys if you experiance any trouble updating the frontend launcher to 0.555, you need to open up your task manager, go to the processes tab, and end process on all renegade-x.exe because a bug with the older version didnt actually close the program properly. So once you've end processed all the Renegade-X.exe applications, then re-launch the frontend, and it will update properly.

Sorry for the mishap, we'll see you all tomorrow for Day 2 of Dev Night.

Wow, bunch of hypocrytes is begging for an update one week and doesn't even check in when it does arrive...

I hope the long waits won't kill the game prematurely...

What are they supposed to do? Keep checking everyday, without any sign of news, when the last progress related update was 5 months ago?

No one should really surprised that the response to this news update is a mere trickle at best. It doesn't say anything against the integrity of the game play itself or the efforts already put in by staff, but we all know why the forums have become somewhat of a ghost town.

A week later and only 8 different people have replied about this update, compared to about 1.5 years ago when updates came often and active members were in plethora.

Renegade was a great game, it had the best online play across not just FPS's, but any genre period. Of course this is a great remake. Of course we are all thankful for the Totem Arts staff for taking on this taxing job. But no one wants to see no signs of progress. Even if there is more going on behind the scenes than the general public knows about, there is certainly no way for them to see any of it without updates like this thread.

• Former Developers

I think it might be a good idea to have weekly play sessions on some day at some time so that everybody can get a chance to play. If anyone is up for that then make a post about what time and what day is good.

• Totem Arts Staff

To quote a great post in another thread.

Well the reason why there are no updates is because there is no real information that we want to disclose about BD. Think about it, we've already said that black dawn is a short single player demo with one really long mission which takes place on an island where gdi is going in to rescue mobius. If we say anymore, we'd end up ruining the entire experiance, and thats the last thing we want to do because that "experiance" of playing the short campaign is what we've worked so hard on.

We COULD talk about the multiplayer but we dont want to have people then expect to see a MP element in BD because we made a news post about multiplayer. So we're taking it one step at a time. We're not rushing UDK versions like we did with the Unreal Tournament 3 versions. We're taking our time to get everything working nicely and polished, even if that means it takes a few extra months of elbow greese.

The problem seems to be such inactivety from you, the developers. So the only solution I see is to update every now and then, but only keep it vague.

'we just scripted the new plottwist during the campaign, we got a few new rocks in the game which we already have some uses for in both the campaign and the multiplayer as soon as we start on that.

nowip.jpg.cbbcb1b85784a41f6ba5c7eac5d97f0c.jpg

57c9ee8cd93cb_Welsh20Green20Rockery.jpg.611a3f35c852ffcd4624ba9db7a60dab.jpg

big_bug.jpg.4562d1e3c2f63e2ec0effe66cd087e2a.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff

first off, im sorry i could not make the 2 Dev nights i did try and make Saturdays 1 but i had obligations that i thought i could postpone but could not :( and Sunday was just too frantic for me it was unbelievable ...

second :

ok ive seen this too many times now... people asking for updates and saying it will help the community and Mod .... well to be frank the Mod seems to be Dead ... no 1 what's to play it any more, the lack of players on the server suggests that ... me my self i will play when i get a chance but lately ive bee too over whelmed with other stuff its not funny... do you see the new games coming out giving anything away ... Duke Nukem Forever has been awaited for 12 years did you see a WIP of that, i think not the fact that TotumArts is letting curtain things slip about "BD" is very welcoming ... you must realise that this "project" is not longer a "Mod" but is now on its way to becoming its own Tittle (Indy Game) and alls an Indy game is compared to a Mainstream tittle that the likes of EA, Codemasters, Activision or THQ make is a a game that is develpoped with no funding, so try to have a bit of respect for the GAME and its DEVELOPERS abd the skills that thay need to make it possible

saying that you have ported a Weapon over from UT3 to UDK is defeating the object of News "ohhh look ive copied all the stuff from the mod to the indie" ... its the same engine ... yes some tweak will be done but the most will stay the same ...

i dont wonna rip in to the fans as im a big fan my self ... as most of you will know, ive only wanted the best for this Mod / Indie / Team since the first time i found this "project" back in 2009 but showing all the stuff they have made / done will just trash the hole experience of playing the game (Black Dawn)

to tell you the truth as a Beta tester i feel cheated to of played a unpolished vision of the game ... as i do with all beta testing .. and ive beta tested alot of games and software but ive never tested anything that i feel this passionate about and knowing what the game is about .

but i think the point of this post is at this pont, the WIP will not help the UT3 mod now, im very sorry to say that evey 1 is eagerly awaiting the UDK visions both "BD" and the later MP releases

i wish there was some way of making the Mod a bit more popular but i dont thinkthe team will devote that sort of man power to making a Mod more playable than an Indy ...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh and for you guys who are rather impatient, listen to what Fobby quoted. They are taking their time, polishing it up so that it will be nice and clean. Just the same thing as Blizzard did with Starcraft II, unlike what EA did with C&C RA3 as an example. Compare those and then decide whats better, faster but more glitchy and buggy releases, or more slower but polished and clean ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the pictures look very cool. I hope that Black Dawn will be along soon. I check reasonably regularly for other players on the servers but there is never anyone on when I am on. I live in Western Canada and you are probably all asleep when I come on. Rats!

Oh well!

I keep buying and trying other games but guess what, I am back playing normal Renegade as it is still my favorite game.

There is something about the Renegade gameplay that NONE of the other games can match.

Hopefully Ren-X will be along in time to allow others to play it.

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey Wizard, good to hear from Renegade oldies.

People are playing these days, but probably a bit too early for Western Canada. Most of our players are in Europe or the east coast. Servers are empty after 1 or 2 pm your time.

Since it's still a mod and a beta (once that has been out for almost 2 years), naturally there won't be many players. However, we are going standalone with the project, and I can assure you that the standalone multiplayer will be a blast.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I'm really excited to learn about this project. Renegade is and probably remain the game i've played the most although I haven't been playing it for 5-6 years now. Please allow me to talk about my history with the game before asking my questions.

I first bought a pirate copy of Renegade in Turkey where I lived at that time (the game wasn't released there as did most titles back in those days). I was really surprised to find that the cd-key was actually working, people who bought the game probably didn't even bother to try a go at multiplayer. I played with a 56k dial-up connection and a pirate serial for at least 5 months. Then the cd-key got banned and I found another from forums (it is actually a miracle to find two working serials in this way) that got me another couple of months. Then one day I saw Renegade in a box in a book store. I think it was one of the first computer game titles to have been officially released and distributed in Turkey. So I grabbed 2 copies and posted the serial to another forum (I'm not proud of using pirated copies but I thought someone would probably play and like the game with that serial and probably buy a copy if it got banned like I did). So the game always had a magical side for me. And as Wizard put it well, the excitement in Renegade's gameplay has never been equalled in any of the online fps games.

I downloaded Renegade-X a couple of months ago and even played 3-4 games with max. 5 people in it but afterwards I couldn't find any other players playing it (I'm in France now). This is probably due to the fact that it has been around a while now. Including IRC is a great idea but why not make a calendar-like event organization tool where you can plan games, invite people, etc. This way people can follow the schedule even when others are not online. You can even put a game history where people can see how many players have played last saturday for example. This should encourage people to play more. I know most of the team's energy is probably spent on BD and the upcoming title but keeping the community and having regular games should also be an objective. Or am I exaggerating? :)

Also is there an estimated release date for BD or even for the full release?

[Not sure this is the right place in the forum to post this btw]