In need of better anti-theft measures for vehicles.

Tarvin

This following scenario played out on Walls. I landed my apache, repaired it, and then ran into the nearest terminal in the HON so I could heal my character. I got back just in time to see some jerk jump into my apache and was able to join him as the passenger in my own vehicle. I used the "Get out of the vehicle" chat a few times as he continued to fly ... and promptly got my apache destroyed.

This has happened to me a few times and it's never any less frustrating that even if you get into your own stolen vehicle, you can't do a damn thing to get it back. Would it be possible to allow the owner of a vehicle to take control of the vehicle by pressing 1 in the same way command of vehicles can be taken away from AI players?

Also, maybe a countdown timer that would give you exclusive rights to your vehicle (if it's still locked) for a short time after exiting it to decrease the frequency of this happening and make it easier for players to retake stolen vehicles?

The enemies using locked vehicles I don't have a problem with, in fact, I've been the vehicle thief a few glorious times.

But you have to specifically lock a vehicle every time you get out and get back in? I wasn't aware of that possibility because the vehicle still says that it is owned by me and that it is still locked. I make it a habit to check if the locked notice is on my vehicle when I get in and I've still lost them to theft. Could one of the developers clarify on this?

Being able to steal enemy vehicles is great fun and has always been a part of Renegade that I think should stick around. It's just the vehicle stealing thieves on your own team that are the problem.

One thing I neglected to mention is that when the thief stole my apache, it clearly said "Tarvin's Apache" on the text of the vehicle, so the ownership was still linked to me. Could there be hacks that enable jerks to get around vehicle locks? I think a developer input would be great here to explain the mechanics of what's happening.

• Totem Arts Staff
13 hours ago, TheOlsenTwins said:

Although it would be really clarify the UI- Info-Text about locking, so that new players don't think that it is locked against enemies. (which is implied by "Locking" IMHO)

How would you be able to explain that.... like in 2 words or less?

Current Messages when getting in for the first time or locking it are:

$Vehicle auto-bound. Press [L] to toggle lock on driver seat. Hold [L] to unbind.
$Vehicle driver seat locked.

Maybe they can be changed to something like this, to make it more clear:
$Vehicle auto-bound. Press [L] to toggle lock against your team. Hold [L] to unbind.
$Vehicle driver seat locked against your team.

• Totem Arts Staff

Honestly I'd rather just put them as CText message rather than Eva message. No sound feedback and message on the corner is really hard to notice.

"Driver Locked to Allies"/"Driver Unlocked to Allies" sounds a lot shorter tbh, but it might still be too long

• Like 1