Commander objectives to players

GroundBird

Hi, i'v following the Firestorm expansion for a few months, seen all available yt-video's and have been suggesting the game to people who i know who play fps games.

In TS you play as the commanders and you select and command your units to do what you want. While you assigning units to groups and what not. In Devtalk #3 @11:00(https://youtu.be/gnX-OL6xpVc?t=656), the devs talked about giving dynamic objectives to players like protecting the MCV and such.

I was wondering if the Devs have considered the idea to enable the commander in RX:Firestorm to assign players to a squad (maybe with a squad leader) fulfill a specified objective. Like in TS.

The idea in practice would be something like this:
The commanders would a menu of a variaty of mission types (capture/defend point X, Guard area [insert map position with action radius or drawn area], destroy Unit, vehicle, builing, etc), By selection of mission type, a empty squad with a max participants would be created along a squad-teamspeak-channel.
Then the commander can assign players to this squad or ask the team voluntairy to fill the squad. A squad leader would function as a co-ordinator (dunno if that works in reality with randoms) to “micro”/coordinate the group. Participants would be rewarded for participation and fulfilling the objective with VP and ofcourse a step closer to victory ;). After the objective has been fulfilled, the squad disbands.
My thought behind this (apart from the RTS->Fps translation), is that players would have more guidance on what and when to do things and provide the commander a better sense of what the team is actually doing.

Secondly, as a commander in TS or whatever other RTS, the unit replies with a voiceline or a sound. What if you would add that aswell into the game. In practice, when the commander selects a player, a temporal private channel would be generated. Upon this moment the player would recieve a notification and would be able to reply to the commander for max 5seconds. Players could act like a character of their own, just like the units in TS (though CnC: Generals ZH is a better example). Or maybe have people record voicelines, which autorun when being selected.
Though it might be improving the sense of immersing yourself in the game by roleplaying, but i guess it could also be an invitation for trolling.

What doe you think about these idea's? I honestly haven't played the game much, and never assumed control by fulfilling the role of the commander. Maybe its a bit novice to bring this up.

*Edit1: Just noticed that GDIViperM suggested something like the first idea in the Feedback system.

Edited by GroundBird
  • Like 3

I like the idea of team squads, similar to the numbered groups in the RTS and then give them some sort of visual element to identify it and provide some sort of interface that assigns, manages and lets someone type in an objective. i.e. Air Group, Anti Aircraft Group, Artillery Group, Tank Group etc. I don't know how best to handle the voice element, let people group themselves into a server's discord channel. Don't make it so over controlling that people can't play the unit they want to use.

I think even in vanilla ren most of the commander powers should be removed from the commander and distributed into some sort of team wide ability menu. i.e. smoke and emp airstrikes anybody should be able to call in and it uses player cp that recharges. I think anybody should be able to control and manage the harvester or mines. I think the buff powers should cost less points, effect up to 5 players maximum and more people should be able to apply it, say the people with the best stats on the team function as team leaders or is passed onto the next person if they don't want it. There would be less pressure and the commander could then come up with an overall strategy for a game and there would be more multi-pronged attacks and team work.

• Like 2