Team-MMR and team balancing

Hicks

First, what exactly is Team-MMR? Intuitively it is a measure of the team's ability based on the previous results of individual players on that server. But what it really is I don't know. Can anyone explain it?
I then come back to an issue that has been addressed countless times in the forum... I am of the opinion that the lack of a team balancing system often makes the game frustrating, especially for new players. I often see games where there is a very strong team and a team made up mostly of new players who have no hope of winning and in this case adding bots worsens the problem because the stronger team will use the bots to grow faster!!! Take what I'm writing a bit as a provocation but above all as a constructive criticism, the management of the teams in the game is ridiculous and could easily be improved (not optimized) by using the mmr of the individual players to obtain a minimum of team balance. Mine is a tip to prevent a new player from installing the game from trying it and uninstalling it immediately afterwards.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheOlsenTwins said:

A first step in the right direction would be to not place AFK people into a team, but require any interaction before doing that.

Quite often one team has a lot of AFKs at start and gets rushed, so, game almost over

maybe getting the game to kick the afk players at least after two or three minutes would help.
Anyway, what exactly is team-mmr?!?

9 hours ago, Hicks said:

First, what exactly is Team-MMR? Intuitively it is a measure of the team's ability based on the previous results of individual players on that server. But what it really is I don't know. Can anyone explain it?

In it's simplest incarnation, Team-MMR is the average of the individual rating of all the players on a team. The computer would make a calculation of which team is more or less likely to win and how likely the predicted result is to be correct based on both team's MMR.

For example: GDI has a slightly higher rating then Nod in a given game. the computer predicts GDI will win with a %56 probability. If GDI does win, all NOD players will lose a little bit of rating, and all GDI players will gain an equivalent amount of rating. If NOD wins, the less likely result, then the amount of rating points taken from the GDI players and given to the NOD players will be higher.

It gets very complicated if you want to give different amounts of rating to players based on individual performance, not just win/loss record (or different ratings based on map, faction, role ect...); but this is unnecessary. the system will reach equilibrium and find ways to create close to %50 chance games as long as it has enough data on all the players.

If you want to understand the math behind rating systems, check out the wiki page for the elo rating system used in chess, baseball, football, esports (LoL, Dota, Sc2...),  and a host of other games. Since Renegade-X is a zero-sum game it would probably implement some form of the elo system, made slightly more complex by the number of players on each team, and the fact that the teams change every game.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 5:11 PM, Cheesemonk said:

For example: GDI has a slightly higher rating then Nod in a given game. the computer predicts GDI will win with a %56 probability. If GDI does win, all NOD players will lose a little bit of rating, and all GDI players will gain an equivalent amount of rating. If NOD wins, the less likely result, then the amount of rating points taken from the GDI players and given to the NOD players will be higher.

It's Nod, not NOD. Nod is not an acronym. You got it right the first time. What happened?

• Thanks 1