Announcement notification feed

R315r4z0r

I know I'm a big critic of the game's current HUD design and have often sited that it's far too busy with too much info. And I'm well aware of my hypocrisy in asking to add yet another thing to it. But I'm still going to do it because I think there is a bigger issue at stake.

The game's audio announcements are absolute ear rape. In fact, it's become common occurrence in matches that so much stuff is just spammed as audio announcements from EVA/CABAL that my brain simply tunes out important stuff.
- I've been in multiple games where I leave the base, then come back about a minute or two later to see a building destroyed that I had no idea was destroyed, let alone even under attack.
-I've been in multiple games where a building is suddenly destroyed by a nuke I had no idea had been planted. Yes, that includes me being completely oblivious to the planting announcement, countdown announcements as well as the imminent announcement.

People come into my room while I'm playing this game and are absolutely astonished by how I understand anything that is happening what with all the random announcements that are happening and overlapping each other. - This also makes me concerned that it is scaring away new players.

A number of EVA/CABAL audio announcements need to be cut out of the game completely. Some need heavier regulation to reduce their frequency.

"But R3," you ask, "how are we going to know what is happening?"

Quite simple! We use visuals on the HUD! As well as new, unique audio notification soundbites that would precede and thereby identify types of announcements before the actual announcement is given (or played in place of an actual announcement for brevity sake or just to avoid repetition).

• For offensive items, a small HUD element would popup on the side of the screen that would essentially be like a text box. You would see a list of any beacons that are deployed, as well as a countdown timer next to them. When they are added to this list, a visible flash would display to get your attention, perhaps with a notification sound. Obviously, disarming a beacon would remove them from the list. If there are no other announcements happening, the EVA/CABAL audio about a beacon being deployed/disarmed can play, but not if there is already too much going on. Also, the first beacon would have audio announcement priority. If multiple beacons get deployed in a short amount of time, EVA/CABAL would only really announce the deployment for the first one.

This would also apply to things like airstrikes and commander powers like cruise missiles. It would popup on that HUD element rather than relying on an audio announcement.

And please, for the love of Kane, get rid of all of the countdown audio. Yes, a beacon was planted. I don't need to hear EVA/CABAL doing countdowns from 10 seconds. For one, you can't disarm them after 10 seconds so it's just for an (annoying) aesthetic. For two, if multiple beacons are deployed, then the count down becomes useless as the timers will overlap with each other (often being unintelligible) and you will never know which timer is applied to which beacon. Please, just remove them from the game. They serve no purpose other than audio spam.

• "Building under attack!" announcements also need to be looked at. Shorten their length and make highly obvious visual flashes and animations on the HUD around their building icon. Long audio announcements like "GDI Tiberium Refinery Under Attack" tend to overlap with other announcements/tie them up because it's just so long winded. Plus, it takes like 4 seconds into the announcement to actually get to the important part - Is it under attack? Is it repaired? Is it destroyed?

• There should be unique and identifiable notification sounds for all types of announcements that play at the start of an announcement to let you know what the announcement is for. A short series of beeps in a special sound could identify "Under attack" announcements. These would be a different sound notification for "Destroyed" announcements.

• Is it really all that important that EVA/CABAL announce every vehicle that is created?

My bottom line is that I think this game has an over abundance and over reliance on audio announcements. Regulating them, making them more concise and axing the unimportant ones would be a big step forward when it comes to retaining new players.

Edited by R315r4z0r
  • Like 2

the game's current HUD design and have often sited that it's far too busy with too much info.

Check.    Yes.

The game's audio announcements are absolute ear rape.

Check. Yes.

In fact, it's become common occurrence in matches that so much stuff is just spammed as audio announcements from EVA/CABAL that my brain simply tunes out important stuff.

Check  YES

- I've been in multiple games where I leave the base, then come back about a minute or two later to see a building destroyed that I had no idea was destroyed, let alone even under attack.

CHECK YES!

I've been in multiple games where a building is suddenly destroyed by a nuke I had no idea had been planted. Yes, that includes me being completely oblivious to the planting announcement, countdown announcements as well as the imminent announcement.

Right ON!    Oblivion is not my fault!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A number of EVA/CABAL audio announcements need to be cut out of the game completely. Some need heavier regulation to reduce their frequency.

YES

While I think you accurately describe the problem,  I am not sure of the answer you provide.   In truth i feel the game needs to decide what information is important and start making some decisions about information flow.

I salute your post!!!

Edited by isupreme

• Totem Arts Staff

One thing I will say... when I'm jacked in, locked and loaded, highly focused on the match. Everything makes sense and I can follow every bit of information thrown at me.

It's only when I hear the action while not in the room that it sounds like a chaotic mess (explosions, EVA screaming, Radio chatter nonstop [mostly the same messages 5-10x repeatedly]).