The widest Field Of View

Syntharn

First of all, about raising the FOV to 120, You can do it in the ingame console by simply typing "fov 120" and hitting enter.
However... every time you press escape it reverts the FOV settings back to whatever you had before, which is bound to happen within minutes if you play with the jukebox or adjust the brightness levels etc...  and the UI settings under escape doesn't go beyond 100 FOV.

So to make this change permanent you need to edit the UDKXSettings.ini file located under
:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\UDKGame\Config\UDKXSettings.ini and change the line DefaultFOV=100.000000
to instead read DefaultFOV=120.000000 and save it. (notepad does the job just fine)

I expect a lot if not most of the veteran players know about that one, i feel its less than obvious to new players though so I've included it.
But that isn't what i want to share, its this other setting fffreak9999 told me about yesterday which i only think really becomes something special when you already have 120 FOV set.

In the same directory as the UDKXSettings.ini file, there is a file called UDKEngine.ini ,If you open that file there is a line far down (I recommend using the notepad search function to find it) that reads...

[Engine.LocalPlayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV

If you change that to instead read...

[Engine.LocalPlayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

It further increases the FOV to pretty extreme levels, Here is the normal XFOV at 120 FOV. 
337134305_120XFOV.thumb.png.f3b606f7db4a01aefe246e0d4fc7169d.png
Versus YFOV at 120 FOV
532056828_120YFOV.thumb.png.f8aca2e329e74c5339bc2baa5b611ac5.png

I played around 6 matches yesterday with this YFOV setting, and its... idk, it certainly has its uses but its not all good.
While you see ALOT more it also visually increases the distance to whatever you are looking directly at, making it not just harder to judge distance but to even realize what you are even looking at, or discerning individual units when in the action. the aiming bit still works OK if you can adapt to the those other problems i think.
The overall feel is something fun to experience and i recommend you to try it just for the lols even if you are so nauseated you cant play it.

When in vehicles however this YFOV view feels better than the normal XFOV hands down IMO, the vehicle FOV is still locked to a default 100 whether you use XFOV or YFOV at 120, so you dont get that warping "fish eye" feeling when looking around, it just moves the camera angle to a more elevated view.
unknown.png

Fun stuff! Thx to fffreak9999 for showing. 

• Totem Arts Staff

Vehicles are getting some FOV changes applied to them. At the moment FOV is applied on a per vehicle basis using a specific FOV. I just changed it to a FOV multiplier instead of a static FOV replacement number.

tldr vehicles got changed recently so they will multiply ur fov instead of changing it (not in live yet)

Edited by Sakura
  • Like 1

so if i understand you correctly.
Vehicles will soon go from having a static FOV depending on vehicle type, a specific camera angle with static 100 FOV.
to instead have a specific camera angle depending on vehicle type that also gets increased if you increase the FOV.

Because changing that XFOV to YFOV is the only way I've managed to affect the vehicle FOV at all so far.