Arcing Artillery Fire

Would it be possible and or a good idea to add indirect/arcing fire to NOD artillery & GDI MRLS. You could have 2 firing modes. One Direct line of sight where you weapons fires on a low trajectory. The second would be where your weapon fires a lobbing shell or missile on a higher trajectory and attempts to converge where you reticle is aimed. the trade off if needed could be range. Something like this.

projectile

• Like 1

I tried to suggest something similar to this in the past, because MRLS can't shoot anything particularly close to themselves and artillery only tend to hit things it can get a direct line on at full force, which over shoots a lot of things at close to mid-range. A left click for a powerful shot and a right click for a low power shot I would have thought would have worked really well, but presently the MRLS uses the right click for no-lock dumb-fire mode.

Eh? Nod Arty already does this, you can hit GDI tanks other than MLRS over a brow and they can't hit you...

Infact if anything, MLRS needs nerfing for being able to curve missiles so much...

I've wanted a mortar in this game for a long time, but not on a vehicle - as a Gunner Alt.fire 

19 hours ago, N4CR said:

Infact if anything, MLRS needs nerfing for being able to curve missiles so much...

Steady now, MRLS' have only just become useful again and they're not the easiest to aim with without lock-on. 

The issue with a Arty/MRLS being able to have a mortar-like trajectory is the fact that most maps would pay the price as a lot of walls/cliffs/obstacles that typically obstruct fire would be rendered useless Vs ground vehicles. 

Edited by Madkill40

On 7/11/2020 at 4:22 AM, Madkill40 said:

I've wanted a mortar in this game for a long time, but not on a vehicle - as a Gunner Alt.fire 

Steady now, MRLS' have only just become useful again and they're not the easiest to aim with without lock-on. 

The issue with a Arty/MRLS being able to have a mortar-like trajectory is the fact that most maps would pay the price as a lot of walls/cliffs/obstacles that typically obstruct fire would be rendered useless Vs ground vehicles. 

I have no issue with mortar/howitzer type trajectory, thing is when you have missiles doing a 90° turn and striking something 40m away... that's the most common abuse I see of MLRS arcing. Or attacking base structures where nothing else can - that gives a massive advantage to GDI if abused. 

I think it's a basic class like the cost of McFarland or Chem that both sides need to shell the rock camp spots like Islands. Would not mind if Gunner could fire 3 rocks at a time as a burst but with much longer re-load, might have been a UT thing.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:54 PM, N4CR said:

I have no issue with mortar/howitzer type trajectory, thing is when you have missiles doing a 90° turn and striking something 40m away... that's the most common abuse I see of MLRS arcing. Or attacking base structures where nothing else can - that gives a massive advantage to GDI if abused. 

I don't think that is a problem with MRLS balance. If anything, it's an issue with map design. Being able to skillfully curve shots doesn't seem overpowered to me when the opposing team has tanks and infantry that can literally be invisible and tear you to pieces in seconds.

Map design sometimes but there are places where if you put a large barrier you would not be able to get troops or tanks over it... but MLRS can sit there and basically be impossible to hit as the ramp is one way and you can't get any other weapon to land over there..

• 1 month later...

The lovely, often abused MLRS curve in action. A really fair game mechanic, each time people are asked why they are doing it 'i'm doing it to show that it needs to be nerfed'.. months later it's still abused...

Makes it impossible to get out of the base for NOD, you can't hit the mlrs spam on clifftop or entrance, mobi camp tunnels, HON constantly under attack etc.

'bUt dA ArTy DrOps tO0!1!!' 

And yes someone smoked hon so it couldn't be repped, nice one. 

20200813110006_1.thumb.jpg.8408666d5576bca3040f5e821d18edd4.jpg

20200813110631_2.jpg

• Like 1