Jump to content

New crate pickups


Yeetler
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't know if this is the right place to post a few suggestions

It would be fun to see some new crate pickups.

Common: 
Free Rep tool
Free submachine gun (as those found in Hourglass)


Uncommon:
Free Airstrike (Binoculars)
15% Slowdown crate (Opposit of speedup crate)


Rare:
Become stealth (SBH Style - does not affect vehicles)
Free Nuke / Ion beacon
Free rank upgrade (example: Elite to Heroic)
Airstrike crate (getting airstriked like the Nuke crate)


Whaddya think?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
20 minutes ago, R E A P E R said:

Common: 
Free Rep tool
Free submachine gun (as those found in Hourglass)

I think those are good.
Poses risk of replacing what you already have, which is already an existing concept (getting a different unit when you already bought a unit), so it doesn't introduce new metagame.

22 minutes ago, R E A P E R said:

Uncommon:
Free Airstrike (Binoculars)
15% Slowdown crate (Opposit of speedup crate)

Free airstrike maybe.
Slowdown sounds bad. Doesn't damage resistance crate already slow you down? That at least has pro and con at the same time.
 

24 minutes ago, R E A P E R said:

Rare:
Become stealth (SBH Style - does not affect vehicles)
Free Nuke / Ion beacon
Free rank upgrade (example: Elite to Heroic)
Airstrike crate (getting airstriked like the Nuke crate)

Becoming invisible completely breaks metagame. SBH spy already insanely changes balance, getting some other advanced unit invisible would be completely OP.
Free beacon may be fine.
Free rank upgrade already exists AFAIK (makes you require 1 veterancy point to rank up each rank), but is insanely rare.
Airstrike crate could be easily escaped from, even on foot. Doesn't sound that good of an idea IMHO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Developer

Not quite right for this:

4 hours ago, testman said:

Free rank upgrade already exists AFAIK (makes you require 1 veterancy point to rank up each rank), but is insanely rare.

This is one I made work for an instant heroic crate, where all you needed was 1 point for each remaining level you had outstanding.

This one existed in my Modded marathon.

 

As for the others, stealth is just too powerful to grant to any unit beyond the SBH/Stealth tank.

The others are possible, although Airstrikes/beacons would easily fall into the rare category.

I’ll discuss the addition of additional crates with some of the devs later, to see if we want to add them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lead Moderator

I can't really think of any type of crate that should be added that isn't already mentioned or in game.

 

But I would say, I think the idea of "negative" crates (nuke crates, scrin abduction, slow down etc) SHOULD be in game. they add to the chaotic nature of the game and players learn that getting a crate that could be  a gamble that distrupts the entire flow of a match

Like all the times someone picked up a nuke crate during a infantry rush and killed the entire squad LOL.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 4:27 AM, R E A P E R said:

I don't know if this is the right place to post a few suggestions

It would be fun to see some new crate pickups.

Common: 
Free Rep tool
Free submachine gun (as those found in Hourglass)


Uncommon:
Free Airstrike (Binoculars)
15% Slowdown crate (Opposit of speedup crate)


Rare:
Become stealth (SBH Style - does not affect vehicles)
Free Nuke / Ion beacon
Free rank upgrade (example: Elite to Heroic)
Airstrike crate (getting airstriked like the Nuke crate)


Whaddya think?

Well a lot of what you said is already in the crates. The spy class gives you all the weapons of the class you got which includes SMGs and engineering tools. Also the XP gains can give you a promotion if you have enough XP. Also the Death Crates are a free nuke/ion (just not where you want it).

 The Binoculars might be interesting. That is the one item that I know is not accessible through a crate, but you got to realize that crates giving random stuff which has a profound affect on the gameplay. Now when buildings are destroyed crates are ways to get classes and vehicles that are removed, but the only time beacons are not available is by server (and usually because of population).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't support the common one's suggested, free rep tool, slow-down or smg - too many wasted crate opportunities when considering all the others that already exist.

I like the idea of a free rare beacon and uncommon airstrike being added.

I really hate the scrin abduction, timed self-c4 is funny but also irritating and the nuke seems really unfair and over the top, I'd ditch these entirely from the game. I'd not mind so much being victim to an airstrike or a fiend, because as someone said at least you have a chance with these.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mystic~ said:

I wouldn't support the common one's suggested, free rep tool, slow-down or smg - too many wasted crate opportunities when considering all the others that already exist.

I like the idea of a free rare beacon and uncommon airstrike being added.

I really hate the scrin abduction, timed self-c4 is funny but also irritating and the nuke seems really unfair and over the top, I'd ditch these entirely from the game. I'd not mind so much being victim to an airstrike or a fiend, because as someone said at least you have a chance with these.

Yeah, especially since the Nuke destroys any surrounding team-mates. I get the idea that there should be negative crates as well as positive but I feel that the ones that just kill you (and your friends) outright are way too punishing.

Other ideas for negative effects that don't totally ruin your shit:

Demoted crate: 

- You lose some VP

Philanthropy!:

- You donate all of your credits to your team.

Safety scissors:

- You lose all your weapons apart from a pistol until you can get to a purchase terminal and restock.

Enemy radar scan: 

- You set off a radar scan around you and your location is shown to the enemy,

Friendly fire:

- You take damage from friends

Untrustworthy:

- Your team's base defences will target you now (imagine trying to infiltrate your own base to buy a tank)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of those sound far too frustrating to me, but I do like the idea of a short period multiplier increase for something like credits, damage, CP or VP earned (positive). 

Molotov cocktails would be funny if you could actually throw them at the enemy and they catch fire like a Patch grenade.

Drunken aim filter (crate of beer), farm animal like a sheep/penguin (booby crate), gold cache (everyone on your team gets 1000$), cannon? (your character gets shot up into the air and you can parachute down again), stuck in a barrel (high altitude crate that rolls)... some feel a bit too cheesy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Developer
18 hours ago, MajesticSausage said:

Enemy radar scan: 

- You set off a radar scan around you and your location is shown to the enemy,

Honestly, this one sounds reasonable.

 

18 hours ago, MajesticSausage said:

Philanthropy!:

- You donate all of your credits to your team.

This one has a lot of downsides, especially when you have lost all resource income.

 

18 hours ago, MajesticSausage said:

Demoted crate: 

- You lose some VP

This one seems “reasonable” so long as it doesn’t change your vp rank, just delays your promotion to the next rank.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Developer
13 hours ago, Mystic~ said:

Drunken aim filter (crate of beer)

We need to be careful when manipulating player’s screens like this, some people have motion sickness that can be triggered by effects like this.

Also multiplier crates seem reasonable.


‘The addition of a Molotov grenade type could be workable, will have to see.

Your other crate options however are not exactly... suitable for RenX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Developer
On 11/13/2019 at 11:48 PM, Mystic~ said:

I like the idea of a free rare beacon and uncommon airstrike being added.

I really hate the scrin abduction, timed self-c4 is funny but also irritating and the nuke seems really unfair and over the top, I'd ditch these entirely from the game. I'd not mind so much being victim to an airstrike or a fiend, because as someone said at least you have a chance with these.

The addition of air strikes seem not too bad, but beacons would be extreme, as to the other death crates, they are meant to balance out the random nature of public play, as it potentially harms crate farmers who already have the advantage of controlling the field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2019 at 2:49 AM, MajesticSausage said:

Yeah, especially since the Nuke destroys any surrounding team-mates. I get the idea that there should be negative crates as well as positive but I feel that the ones that just kill you (and your friends) outright are way too punishing.

Other ideas for negative effects that don't totally ruin your shit:

Demoted crate: 

- You lose some VP

Philanthropy!:

- You donate all of your credits to your team.

Safety scissors:

- You lose all your weapons apart from a pistol until you can get to a purchase terminal and restock.

Enemy radar scan: 

- You set off a radar scan around you and your location is shown to the enemy,

Friendly fire:

- You take damage from friends

Untrustworthy:

- Your team's base defences will target you now (imagine trying to infiltrate your own base to buy a tank)

Since VP makes you both stronger and faster this would be more like receiving a kick in the ___ when already down. Remember that players doing crate hunting are usually ones that are in need of an advantage not the other way around. Those would already be tanked/charachter/superweaponed up.

Credit donations would be just a bit of annoyance since donations is already in the game. 

Only if it turned you into a civilian, which I don't think any civilian models exist. Also you would appear neutral. Don't call it scissors, call it pacifism.

This seems like a nice trap. I think it is a perfect Risk-Reward to crate hunting. Oops helped the other team, well at least it didn't pick up up in the air, toyed with my body before slamming my corpse down on the ground and laughed on it.

Friendly Fire is difficult to do. To be honest I would like to see how a game of renegade plays with friendly fire turned on, although grieving might get too out of hand. You better keep building immune to friendly fire. Still I would say better as a match option and not as a crate.

Interesting idea, but odds are you would likely just commit suicide to reset the "curse". I still think the Fiend/Viceroid would be better as a neutral obstacle.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Since VP makes you both stronger and faster this would be more like receiving a kick in the ___ when already down. Remember that players doing crate hunting are usually ones that are in need of an advantage not the other way around. Those would already be tanked/charachter/superweaponed up.

Credit donations would be just a bit of annoyance since donations is already in the game. 

Only if it turned you into a civilian, which I don't think any civilian models exist. Also you would appear neutral. Don't call it scissors, call it pacifism.

This seems like a nice trap. I think it is a perfect Risk-Reward to crate hunting. Oops helped the other team, well at least it didn't pick up up in the air, toyed with my body before slamming my corpse down on the ground and laughed on it.

Friendly Fire is difficult to do. To be honest I would like to see how a game of renegade plays with friendly fire turned on, although grieving might get too out of hand. You better keep building immune to friendly fire. Still I would say better as a match option and not as a crate.

Interesting idea, but odds are you would likely just commit suicide to reset the "curse". I still think the Fiend/Viceroid would be better as a neutral obstacle.

That's a fair point about the VP, but it doesn't have to be loads of VP and the idea is to have rarer negative effects. But then again it does fall back into the instant kill crates as there is nothing you can do. Not sure I agree about the crate hunters TBH. I feel it is more commonly the people dominating the field who just get to farm the crates.

The point of the credit donation is that it isn't your choice (you can just go buy a mammy at the WF, but a crate might give you one.) Yes it's in the game, but the point is having a negative effect that doesn't completely fuck you. I feel like based on what freak said, that donating all your credits is too much, but I still feel like maybe a percentage could work. You got a negative crate, but it helped your team out a bit, you are dirt poor so you only lost 10 credits.

I don't understand why it would need to be a civillian? Although that could also be another crate, maybe bring back the chef. It's not safety truly pacifistic though as you still have a weapon, it's just not your volt gun or whatever. Again the point of this one was to give you a negative, but still give you a chance to survive and also to get your shit back if you hit a purchase terminal.

Maybe it could be fun to dispelled if you get a kill with your pistol, that way you're not taken out of the fight and you are given an objective.

Yeah the more we talk about FF the less I feel it would be a good fit. But then again I sort of don't feel the griefing is too bad. It would be for one life, a timer or till you get to purchase terminal. So what if someone on your own team bleps you? How is that worse than instantly having a nuke dropped on your head?

Yeah that's a fair point on the curse. Again maybe it could work with the purchase terminal removal or something?

 

How about another strain of "negative crates" that give you objectives as a way out.

Place C4 on your head but if you get a kill before it goes off it is cancelled out.

For the next 30 seconds your health will slowly drain to 0 unless you are doing damage to something/someone.

Edited by MajesticSausage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2019 at 5:38 AM, Fffreak9999 said:

Honestly, this one sounds reasonable.

 

This one has a lot of downsides, especially when you have lost all resource income.

 

This one seems “reasonable” so long as it doesn’t change your vp rank, just delays your promotion to the next rank.

- Fair point on the donation. You could make  it a percentage. That way it scales with wealth.

- Agreed on the rank changing. I would see this as an inverse to the veterancy crate.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:39 AM, Fffreak9999 said:

This would be torture, that would leave you open to attack, and not able to respond, especially to trolls on your team.

- I sort of see that as the point, it's a negative crate. IMO It's better than just getting nuked out of nowhere as you still have options. If you do die than ok, you died. I think you should always have a way out of these things so maybe it could be dispelled with a visit to a purchase terminal, after a time limit or if you get x amount of kills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Friendly fire could change the game dynamics, maybe even drop the beacon spam, but you would have to change a lot of things. Accidental (or not so accidental) grieving could be a problem. You would have to put in some sort of grieflock on if a player continues to kill friendlies. 

Furthermore a sinlge griever could wreck a base causing the match to be at an instant loss. So friendly Buildings and MCTs will have to be immune to friendly fire.

Also buildings would need a nerf, as people would be afraid of friendly fire some vehicles shelling buildings would often let up if they believe a teammate is close to the building. That could give the defending team more than enough time to repair the building to max making all the damage done to it prior meaningless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lead Moderator
11 hours ago, MajesticSausage said:

I should make it clear. I'm not saying turn friendly-fire on for everyone forever. I mean make the person who got the crate receive friendly fire until the next time they die or get to a terminal to refill.

That's not the worst idea ever, however I think the newly implemented kamakaze-explosion ("player1942 is a threat to us all), is a good compromise of this idea 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Developer

Just as an FYI to this discussion, I have been busy making a fair few new crates that will go into the next patch.

  • SuperMoney (Team Wide Credit crate)
  • MegaSpeed (A faster but shorter duration speed crate that only works on infantry)
  • RadarSweep (This is a negative crate, that instantly does a commander radar power on the person picking it up, q spotting the person who picks it up and their nearby allies) [Thanks to @Handepsilon]
  • SlowDown (This is a negative crate that forces the person who picks it up to move at 85% of their normal speed, there is also potentially going to be changes to this crate down the line, so keep your eyes peeled for such updates.)

There is also one more that you will need to wait till the patch notes are pubished before I give any more spoilers about

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fffreak9999 said:

Just as an FYI to this discussion, I have been busy making a fair few new crates that will go into the next patch.

  • SuperMoney (Team Wide Credit crate)
  • MegaSpeed (A faster but shorter duration speed crate that only works on infantry)
  • RadarSweep (This is a negative crate, that instantly does a commander radar power on the person picking it up, q spotting the person who picks it up and their nearby allies) [Thanks to @Handepsilon]
  • SlowDown (This is a negative crate that forces the person who picks it up to move at 85% of their normal speed, there is also potentially going to be changes to this crate down the line, so keep your eyes peeled for such updates.)

There is also one more that you will need to wait till the patch notes are pubished before I give any more spoilers about

Dope, nice one Freak (and @Handepsilon). Megaspeed sounds hilarious

Edited by MajesticSausage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How about a stealth crate? I remember in the original game there was one and it was OP as hell... so would have to consider toning it down if it were to be implimented. Perhaps make it only last for a short duration? Say a few minutes. This would give GDI a unique strategy they wouldn't normally get to use. Also don't make it apply to vehicles if at all possible. Stealthed mammies and flamers were ridiculous. Would this break the game for people? or would it be generally welcomed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...