Map Rotation Fix

Implement Idea or Fix Map Spam?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Implement Idea or Fix Map Spam - Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

Hello everyone,

I'd like to suggest the following feature to fix same map spam. Every time a map is played, the server increments +1 point to the map (variables stored somewhere globally, not reset after each map). The maps with the least amount of points are shown first (top) within the map vote list. This ensures that the maps which aren't getting played, get played.

Today, and yesterday the map rotation was the same. Field X, Hourglass, Walls, Field, Hourglass (something along these lines). The resolution above will fix this.

Open to suggestions, regards,

Newbie.

Edited by Newbie
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Yes, unfortunately, some of the "regulars" do have some strong opinions on only playing certain maps again and again.

and like I've said in the past, I think even if one map isn't as good as another one, it gets repetitive (even though the nature of the game.. you could play 1 map 50 times and have 50 different results) and moreso it's unfair to the map maker because who wants to make a map if they know it might never be played.

I'm 100% for forced map rotation. 

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

A second server which has an fixed map rotation may actually help in having two servers going at the same time

The only problem there is we still don't have enough people playing regularly to really have more than 1 server full. So most people will just migrate to the fullest server regardless

11 hours ago, roweboat said:

The only problem there is we still don't have enough people playing regularly to really have more than 1 server full. So most people will just migrate to the fullest server regardless

That's such bullshit and a problem-attitude. 

Have the current playerbase split between those who prefer fixed map rotation and those who want to vote for a map, then other people will migrate in-between the two. There is definitely enough people.

• Like 1

There is definately more than enough players wanting to play at any one time, but the issue with trying to get them to start a second server, I feel that if 3-6 people randomly joined a server to start playing when a server was full, they would start to see people join that server as well.

• Like 1

I have had it a few times now that I could not join because the server was full. So two servers with max 40 players can help... Although I must also say that this full server situation does not happen much longer then 30 minutes. 

I enjoy 20vs20 more then 30vs30

We could make a poll for optimal max player count 😃

EDIT:

Edited by Moat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moat said:

have had it a few times now that I could not join because the server was full. So two servers with max 40 players can help

I understand the sentiment, however, I did trial this quite some time ago, when I first started adjusting the max player count above the (then default) 40 player limit. Servers continued to remain empty, however when the limit went up, so did the number of active players, but not the number of active servers.

I still feel the best way to combat this would be to implement a chat lobby in the launcher which shows how many players are connected to the launcher at any one time and allows people to see how many are waiting to join a server.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

server 1: the daily plays. Walls, Islands, Field, Hourglass, Field X, Canyon, Lakeside, Under, X-Mountain

server 2: reserve for larger maps. Outposts, Toxicity, Hourglass, Sunrise, Goldrush, Lakeside, Arctic, Eyes

server 3: rather infantry oriented maps. Tomb, Crash Site, Twilight, Cliffside, Uphill, Mesa

server 4: fast paced maps: Volcano, Fort, Complex, Whiteout, Horologue

server 5: 24/7 Snow marathon for special people.

• Totem Arts Staff

I understand this would be more work and not an immediate solution... but I really feel a Lobby of some sort in game or at minimum in the launcher would help completely solve this problem.

I think more people would be willing to "start up" a server and fill it up more willingly if they could communicate with others ready to do the same first.