Is there only every 60-100 people on? Whats stopping this game?

FPlus

My friend turned me over to this game since he loved the original and found out about it recently. My question is i see like 8-10 servers and only 1 is active with players. What is keeping this game from being BIG ? is it lack of steam inclusion? if so whats stopping it? EA? if so cant the game be renamed, objects renamed etc enough to make it not count as C&C R IP infringement? 

Let me know if you guys have any ideas why a game so deeply developed and (nice looking) is hardly supported by the community. Is it that its the only truly free game or do people nowadays just want to be ripped off by Destiny/COD/PUBG/FORTNITE's scummy loot systems?

It honestly bugs me when you find a good game and there isn't anyone playing but people play trash Pay-To-Win-Free-to-Play games.  :( 

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

In my opinion, I don't think it's really possible to pin the issue on 1 or 2 things. I think it being in beta for so long certainly hasn't helped it at all, as I know there are some people who just won't play betas. Along with this, there has been a lack of advertising as, I think, they want to get out of beta before they do anything in terms of advertising/publicizing. 

I think being on Steam would help a lot, but keep in mind a complete asset recreation is a big under taking. While you could probably get away with not redoing the medium tank, since it's based off a real life tank, the others would probably all need to be done, and the team lacks 3D artists. 

I've proposed changes such as splitting servers at 60 players, which is entirely possible and tested, but no big server seems to want to take the risk for the benefit for the community, which I completely understand. I don't know how the players would react either, some like 60 players, but a lot of them don't. So it's entirely possible that 10 of the 30 would just leave, which would probably result in everyone else going as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sarah! said:

I've proposed changes such as splitting servers at 60 players, which is entirely possible and tested, but no big server seems to want to take the risk for the benefit for the community, which I completely understand

Not necessarily, its more often players not willing to fill up a second server. Considering 32 was the previous max and a second server rarely filled up yet raising the player count to 64 and a server still manages to become full. 

A machinema project might be good for advertising, which I'm slowly developing a storyboard for but to produce such content is going to take time

A lack of map variety also doesn't help. (Think I'll finish polishing off Toxicity tonight)

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff
12 minutes ago, dr.schrott said:

As Sarah alredy mention, there are several reasons involved.

We always need to be aware that this game is created by people living the passion for this game.
They have invested countless resources (time, money ...) into it, they have invested a big part of their life.
This game is not created by an ambitious manager interested in making big money with this game.

I am thankful for their effort and for giving me the opportunity to play this fantastic game.

But looking it from that perspective, the main reason could be related to the fact that certain people who are in charge, are quite satisfied with the current level.
Having a small community, but big enough to have players around to play with and have fun with their friends.
That is why this game feels sometimes like a "private game".

Getting the game to the next level, would consume far more resources and would become probably the obligation nr. 1.
This would have a big impact on their lives too, and would shift a lot of priorities.
Achieving this, it would be a completely new approach with endless challenges and it would be as resource hungry as a black hole.

I don't really think this is true... they just don't think the game is ready for 'release' yet. The more players you have doesn't change anything related to work load at all. I would want as many people as possible to enjoy the game as I do.

I love loading onto a map like Snow with 64 players, then immediately getting hit by a tunnel nuke, 3 airstrikes, 50m radius arty splash, and a dozen chem nades as soon as I step out of a building. I'm sure it's quite an exciting experience for new players:)

Edited by Canucck
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Fffreak9999 said:

Used to be lots of fun :)

Yeah, it added some extra fun to the game! We had quite a few games where the losing team turned the table on the team which was on the offence (until they had their armour column wiped out by a greedy, crate loving teammate) :D 

• Like 1

Thank you all for responding to my questions. I appreciate it. I do hope for the best for this game. While a private game is great for the few who play it not having to put up with trolls etc, i believe this game deserves to continue evolution into a much bigger community. The tunnel nukes is a big disadvantage for new players like me who ended up being killed by them as described. In any case, I think this game needs to be on Steam and or gain the blessing of EA to be put on Origin as a Free download (as is). I fully understand that changing the core 3d objects would be time consuming, while that is the case spending a minor amount of time tweaking them (just enough) and renaming things shouldn't take so much effort as a entire redo would. A game like this deserves to live and be played, kept free. I fully understand that the devs are funs and not profiteers but they need to pay the bills of the servers, time etc. Making this game as a (off brand) would open up so many doors for the game to evolve into a NOT pay to win but a game with cosmetic (gun skins, tank skins, outfits, double xp boosters etc) things that you don't need to have but will pay the bills..

Those are my thoughts, it's 2018 and servers still cost a fortune to run and to pay for it and be able to keep the game going this game needs A. Big community that is playing and B. a group of people willing to buy useless IAP that do nothing but change colors etc and C. be on a big delivery platform (Steam, Origin, etc.)

I hate IAP, Loot boxes, PTW games but reality of life is if there isn't a single option for the devs to be motivated to continue this project this game could end within a week for all we know.   

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, FPlus said:

I hate IAP, Loot boxes, PTW games but reality of life is if there isn't a single option for the devs to be motivated to continue this project this game could end within a week for all we know.   

Can confirm that it won't :P 

Why is it a surprise? Most C&C-related games created unofficially by the community have this low playerbase. Even the original Renegade right now. There are a number of reasons such as the new generation doesn't recognize C&C as a great franchise and people nowadays are not really into games with high TTK.