Launcher 32bit or 64bit

sgfrisbee2016

• Totem Arts Staff

It will by default load the 32 bit client, if you wish to load the 64 bit client, you will need to use the \Renegade X\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe

This should be more than sufficient for most cases, as you can look through the in-game browser.

If you need to enter a password protected server, it is a little more difficult.

You would need to use the following command line

open <Server IP>:<Server Port>?password=<Password>

1 hour ago, Fffreak9999 said:

It will by default load the 32 bit client, if you wish to load the 64 bit client, you will need to use the \Renegade X\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe

This should be more than sufficient for most cases, as you can look through the in-game browser.

If you need to enter a password protected server, it is a little more difficult.

You would need to use the following command line

open <Server IP>:<Server Port>?password=<Password>

Great, thanks!

• 1 year later...

Well, the x86 version is also *not supported*, as it will frequently crash with "Ran out of video memory" on higher-end systems like mine..
So I suppose we have to tune down our resolutions and textures to not reach that 4GB (V)RAM usage..... or the entire thing will just break.

And with all the new buildings and vehicles being introduced and all,.. x86 is definately not future proof.
So at some point, fixing the x64's audio and linking would become a priority. Might aswell be now.

Hopefully the real answer is not "We would have to migrate the entire project to Unreal Engine 4 for that."
Or we'll all be bottlenecked by 4GB.

Edited by DugeHick

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, DugeHick said:

Well, the x86 version is also *not supported*, as it will frequently crash with "Ran out of video memory" on higher-end systems like mine..
So I suppose we have to tune down our resolutions and textures to not reach that 4GB (V)RAM usage..... or the entire thing will just break.

And with all the new buildings and vehicles being introduced and all,.. x86 is definately not future proof.
So at some point, fixing the x64's audio and linking would become a priority. Might aswell be now.

Hopefully the real answer is not "We would have to migrate the entire project to Unreal Engine 4 for that."
Or we'll all be bottlenecked by 4GB.

It's supported, but there's some problems of the engine we can't fix. You really have to pick your poison, memory crashes or occasional sound bugs. The problem is deeply rooted in UDK and can't really be fixed without a lot of optimization or tweaking of settings. We don't really have the resources to make many or any fixes for 64bit audio, but admittedly I personally have never looked at the issue myself.

• Like 1

Yes that confirms exactly what I'm saying.

Calling it "memory crashes" to me seems a bit short-sighted though.
These errors have everything to do with high-resolution textures being loaded into VRAM and then reaching the 32-bit 4GB limit.

That could mean that - while it's not an issue right now - any future additions like buildings and vehicles may push people's VRAM to that max. 4GB. At which point, the only way to play will be to lower textures and/or resolution.

Which itself could be a "fix" then.
That is: if there is absolutely no other way - like you seem to be suggesting right now.

Anyway.

I've read somewhere on the forum that *someone* is actually seriously working on migrating the codebase to UE4.
Do you happen to know who this is?

-DugeHick

Edited by DugeHick

23 minutes ago, DugeHick said:

These errors have everything to do with high-resolution textures being loaded into VRAM and then reaching the 32-bit 4GB limit.

Except it hits the memory ceiling of what Microsoft Windows allocates to a 32-bit process, which is 3(!!!) GB ;) 

(And that's not just VRAM)

• Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Although the x64 sound bug is a bit of annoyance, it should remain a low priority problem. On my system, it happens maybe 1 out of 10 games, and at most I lose 1-2 mins of game time. Not a big deal.

I think if the "out of memory issue" cannot be solved at this point, the launcher should integrate the x64 version and maybe just add some sort of disclaimer about the loss of sound bug.

3 hours ago, roweboat said:

Although the x64 sound bug is a bit of annoyance, it should remain a low priority problem. On my system, it happens maybe 1 out of 10 games, and at most I lose 1-2 mins of game time. Not a big deal.

I think if the "out of memory issue" cannot be solved at this point, the launcher should integrate the x64 version and maybe just add some sort of disclaimer about the loss of sound bug.

I agree with this.

Adding to that:
The memory issue seems to be getting worse with the new vehicle crates. As stated by some other players and myself, just now.

My guess is that we are pretty much approaching this threshold - although I haven't been measuring it.

Actually, the video memory issue seems to suck more as you'll lose all credits, and if you're doing something important you and your team are fucked aswell.
The audio bug just sucks but you can finish the rush or (team)donate credits gracefully.

x64 for president..

8 hours ago, Sarah. said:

but admittedly I personally have never looked at the issue myself.

Maybe it's time to have a look.
It may seem intimidating but you never know what inspiration might start flowing.

The way I see it, "impossible" isn't always the end of the story.
Sometimes "realism", is just a rationalisation for serial failure.

Please PM me should dev make the decision to go ahead and take a look.
I'd like to join in and investigate this with you.

-Duge

Edited by DugeHick

• Totem Arts Staff

DH, a launcher is coming in the near future (next couple of months) that will include a 64-bit launching option. Also I do not know where you heard about anybody doing a serious attempt to port the code-base over to UE4, but I can confirm that is absolutely not the case.

-Sonny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Not only is a lot of stuff out of our control for more than a few things, as a lot it is just built into the engine. Such as the audio engine and what not. It's all built into the engine, and we can't read any of the code for any of it. But I'll see what I can do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sarah. said:

Not only is a lot of stuff out of our control for more than a few things, as a lot it is just built into the engine. Such as the audio engine and what not. It's all built into the engine, and we can't read any of the code for any of it. But I'll see what I can do.

As will I.
Thank you!

Well this is a mod project and not a commercial game. The only reason why EA allows this project to exist is that remains a non-commercial project. That being said we can let some things slide that would be considered inexcusable in a commercially sold or profit monetized product. But the fact that this is entirely free and not monetized in any way, with what they have here available now is rather impressive. 

Edited by Marinealver

5 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Well this is a mod project and not a commercial game. The only reason why EA allows this project to exist is that remains a non-commercial project. That being said we can let some things slide that would be considered inexcusable in a commercially sold or profit monetized product. But the fact that this is entirely free and not monetized in any way, with what they have here available now is rather impressive. 

Aah..
I'm sure it seems like I'm merely complaining here.

To be honest,.. I just want to help out with this one bug.
So that RenX development doesn't hit this memory limitation, and we can all gracefully switch to x64.

Am working on it right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DugeHick said:

Aah..
I'm sure it seems like I'm merely complaining here.

To be honest,.. I just want to help out with this one bug.
So that RenX development doesn't hit this memory limitation, and we can all gracefully switch to x64.

Am working on it right now.

Well it is not really a bug as much as it is just a missing feature. The bugs would be the audio not converting over when launched in 64. 

I get the desire to make this game better. In a market saturated with lootbox and pay2win microtransactions (in many games that are not free) this is one of the last remaining refuge for gamers.

• Totem Arts Staff

@Marinealver I personally wouldn't call it a missing feature. It's not an issue with audio not being converted over since a restart of the game makes sure that the users can hear the audio again.
Some members of the developer team have already stated before that these are confirmed bugs and that some have already tried looking into fixing it, yet to my understanding the problem lies in the engine's source-code to which we do not have access and even if we did have access an game-engine is a beyond-massive code-base, trying to find why audio wouldn't work in a code-base you're unfamiliar with is already quite hard, let alone if you don't even have the sources to the code-base.

Yet if you do manage to find something interesting or think you're onto something @DugeHick, then let me know, I'm available in the RenX Discord, and so are many other of the dev's.

• Like 2