Changing(improving) the base-defense meta

Eagle XI

Security Doors and Hacking

Base defense relies way too much on mining building entrances, and then keeping tabs on mines. Plus, ive always found it unreal that buildings would have such strongbuilt automated airlock doors but no system installed to lock them if need be. To pick the weight off that meta(but not completely eliminate it) there could be an building upgrade, that can be purchased by an engineer(or above equivelants)at items submenu.
This item when purchased modifies doors of that building such to have friend or foe detection, so that the door locks if foe in vicinity and an keypad terminal gets placed next to each door of the building that is opening to the outside. Those terminals exist both at the outside and inside.

To get into an building with upgraded doors, an engineer must reduce the health of this keypad terminal(All security keypad terminals on the building share same health-pool) at the outside to 0, using his repair gun. Almost the same capture mechanic for neutral buildings. The inside keypad can be used to trigger the door open for an while incase want to get out but an enemy happent to be outside. As alternate way of disabling the system, destroy the PP as when out of power all doors auto-unlock.

Guest Gliven

But then we would have mines AND this system. Mines aren't going anywhere. Id just add mines in-front of the door keypad.

13 hours ago, Eagle XI said:

The inside keypad can be used to trigger the door open for an while incase want to get out but an enemy happent to be outside

Uh what? you want a way to keep the door open by pressing a button? hell no. The enemy will thank you for that one.

13 hours ago, Eagle XI said:

As alternate way of disabling the system, destroy the PP as when out of power all doors auto-unlock.

What about maps with no PP

There has been many discussions about adding things to buildings to discourage infiltrators. So far, mines have been the best option by far.

What id really like to see, is being able to see your team mines on the overview map

Guest Gliven
11 hours ago, Luhrian said:

that would destroy the whole idea of sneaking.

Not really, people still have to notice that the mines have gone down. It just makes it a lil harder. It still only takes 30 seconds for the c4 to go off. 30 seconds is not a very long time to go save a building even if you noticed right away.

Guest Gliven

@Madkill40 Is that all you would do if you had to defend? What if the infiltrators were a sydney and a mobius. Would you be able to stop them in time even if you knew which building it was right away? What if you let a bunch of stanks in because you were focused on the overview map? What if the map was fort, and you were in the airstrip and they infiltrated the hand? It takes a long time to run from the strip to the hand. 

5 hours ago, Gliven said:

@Madkill40 Is that all you would do if you had to defend? What if the infiltrators were a sydney and a mobius. Would you be able to stop them in time even if you knew which building it was right away? What if you let a bunch of stanks in because you were focused on the overview map? What if the map was fort, and you were in the airstrip and they infiltrated the hand? It takes a long time to run from the strip to the hand. 

I'd blame my team by name-calling them then ragequit like some silly little child who couldn't handle the responsibility of defending the base, obviously. /sarcasm

I do understand the point you're making, mines highlighted on the minimap would force infiltrations to become a group effort rather than a solo effort. (depending on playercount)

With this in mind I'd want tracker mines (indicated on the minimap once planted) which are only accessible with a Hotwire/Tech, standard mines put onto the item menu and set as a max of 3 per player (: make the main field more terrifying and make those emp'nades used even more :D

Edited by Madkill40

Guest Gliven
8 minutes ago, Eagle XI said:

Yeah, well, the thing is we need those repairs in the field, not guarding around the base, however if they stop guarding the base surely falls in seconds so the field gets lost.

Uh..What? Also it doesn't matter what security system you put in place, there will always need 1-3 defenders in base depending on the map. You need people to repair buildings, spot infiltrators and various other tasks. Adding another anti-infiltrator system wont pull defenders away from base to get you those extra field repairs.

Pop-up destructible walls are the only other option I would recommend adding at this point for base defence, for such entities to work would require certain purchasable characters to have a hidden weapon slot which...

would be activated specifically for the pop-up wall piece, -so not all character types would be able to place a pop-up wall if necessary, otherwise use the Timed C4 slot-

Pop-up Wall which would be purchasable from the items menu on the Purchase Terminal (PT), maps would then also require a 'Base Defence' type volume to limit the placement of these pop-up walls. (to limit any griefing)

This is purely a fantasy idea simply because none of the devs would be expected to come through on this, its a lot of work than necessary to be fair.

TL:DR

lets just have a mutator which pinpoints mines on the minimap, which makes defending with less numbers easier (i.e. more bearable) and forces infiltrations to be a group effort with a larger number of players on the server. 

12 hours ago, Gliven said:

Uh..What? Also it doesn't matter what security system you put in place, there will always need 1-3 defenders in base depending on the map. You need people to repair buildings, spot infiltrators and various other tasks. Adding another anti-infiltrator system wont pull defenders away from base to get you those extra field repairs.

Hmm, maybe instead i should have suggest to have ai controlled pet repair drones like those factory repair drones in C&C3. They would have limited life being on a timer but are immune to damage. Each drone repairs at 2/3 the rate of an player controlled repairgun.

They would be an item purchasable by Engineer and above equivelants, that comes as pack of 3. Using this item the engineer can target an friendly vehicle then press fire to release an drone that tags the targeted friendly vehicle as its master, the drone then follows it around and repairs upon being damaged. An vehicle can have up to 3 of those active at a time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 4:11 PM, Madkill40 said:

I'd blame my team by name-calling them then ragequit like some silly little child who couldn't handle the responsibility of defending the base, obviously. /sarcasm

I do understand the point you're making, mines highlighted on the minimap would force infiltrations to become a group effort rather than a solo effort. (depending on playercount)

With this in mind I'd want tracker mines (indicated on the minimap once planted) which are only accessible with a Hotwire/Tech, standard mines put onto the item menu and set as a max of 3 per player (: make the main field more terrifying and make those emp'nades used even more :D

#FuLoserTeam lol