Launcher won't start

Robocoop

Hello,

When I start the launcher it pops up in the processes 2 seconds and disappears... I tried everything I saw on this forum, even downloaded the whole game, but still same thing. Is there any other solution to this, I really want to play this game, long time fan of Renegade.

Here are my specs:

Windows 10 

Intel Skylake i5

MSI GTX 1070 gaming X

16BG RAM

1TB HDD

What have you tried, that would be helpful. I can not determine what the problem is at the moment.

Did you try running it as an administrator? What is the location of the launcher executable? Does is show any window? What is your antivirus/malware program?

This is again one of those mysterious problems that usually is inside a user's system. As the Launcher isn't really special software. It could be that it gets blocked due to it connection to various servers.

Yes I tried as an administrator too. I don't have anti-virus software, also my windows defender is disabled. I tried disabling the firewall too, nothing worked :(

I guess I'll give it a try in some of the next updates, maybe it will start.

Edited by Robocoop

Greetings i recently discovered this project and wanted to give it a go. Unfortunatelly i am facing the same problem as creator of this topic.

I managed to install the launcher, but it simply wont start up. I also tried to download the full packed game but same thing happens, launcher just refuses to start up.

I dont know what could be the issue. I have fresh Windows 10 install, no more than week old and is up to date. No antiviruses, Windows defender is also disabled, i have tried to run it as administrator, tried no run it with different compatibility modes and still no luck.

My specs:

Windows 10 pro

i5-7600k

R9 380X 4g

16gb DDR4

Any help is appreciated, thanks! :]

are there any 'Ghost processes' of the launcher running? You can check that via the task manager. The proces should be called 'launcherTwo'. if that doesn't work, I'll need to figure out something else, but first check this. (I'll probably be in need of making a custom build with more logging for you to try)

Hello,

i've checked the task manager and the only two processes that seem to pop up when i try to run the launcher is ''Renegade X launcher.exe'' and ''WerFault.exe'', which i figured is some sort of automated report mechanism by windows10. 

I also tried to install the UE3 redistributable as suggested by one of the devs here, but still no luck.

8 hours ago, Facile said:

I also tried to install the UE3 redistributable as suggested by one of the devs here, but still no luck.

UE3Redist isn't going to help you with Launcher related problems. That's purely for the game itself. Do you have any trouble running other applications?

I'll prepare a *special* Launcher with some messageboxes to pinpoint where it all goes wrong. I'll PM you when it's done. (Otherwise i'll need to do a skype session or some sort to live-debug your application, quite the hassle)

EDIT: I pm'd you with a debug version of the launcher. Please report back with the results.

Hi!

Thanks for the custom launcher, i've ran it a few times and each time it spat out five messages in total.

> Starting up the Launcher
> Checking cmd arguments
> Starting the launcher
> Setting-up mainwindow
> Components initialized

After those messages, nothing happens as with the regular launcher.

Good thing the game works for me if i run it from the Binaries/Win32 folder (not the 64 one). I tried playing with bots which seems to work great.

Also i have no problems with other games or applications.

Thanks for the help you've given! :]

On 13.6.2017 at 8:41 PM, Schmitzenbergh said:

Did you try running it as an administrator? What is the location of the launcher executable? Does is show any window? What is your antivirus/malware program?

This is again one of those mysterious problems that usually is inside a user's system. As the Launcher isn't really special software. It could be that it gets blocked due to it connection to various servers.

@Madkill40 Schmitz asked about that already :D

and Robocop replied:

On 13.6.2017 at 9:39 PM, Robocoop said:

Yes I tried as an administrator too. I don't have anti-virus software, also my windows defender is disabled. I tried disabling the firewall too, nothing worked :(

1 hour ago, UFO said:

Well, today my launcher tried to update from 0.75 to 0.76. But it just deleted itself. Now I don't have launcher at all O.o

When the update dialog, and the launcher windows closed, a Notification should have popped up, for Windows Command-line processor asking for admin rights. Did you push the "Yes" button?

53 minutes ago, limsup said:

When the update dialog, and the launcher windows closed, a Notification should have popped up, for Windows Command-line processor asking for admin rights. Did you push the "Yes" button?

Yes.

3 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

Schmitz, can we have the IP note back in the launcher? :)

IP note? Do you mean the IP address of the server you selected?

I haven't built this update. @Agent should know more details. 

If your Launcher has been deleted, it happened due to external means. There is no code present in the update mechanism that deletes your whole Launcher and leaves it like that

I can provide a standalone launcher if needed.

6 minutes ago, Schmitzenbergh said:

There is no code present in the update mechanism that deletes your whole Launcher. 

The self-patcher technically deletes itself before moving the updated files into place.

6 minutes ago, Schmitzenbergh said:

Agent should know more details

There's a change log in the General forum.

I've got the same no launcher issue on two different computers running Windows 10 Pro build 1703, virus scanning software isn't present on the second one.

They are both running Nvidia Pascal GPUs, one with 382.53 and the other with the previous 382.33.

I can launch the 32 bit udk.exe, yet the 64 bit crashes after a white box on the screen pops up.

So, @Facile's problem is solved. It looks like his MSI Afterburner software was the culprit. I can't say this with absolute certainty, but when he removed the MSI Afterburner, the Launcher started correctly.

So if you have software like MSI Afterburner active, please close it and try if the Launcher starts.

@arestavo Do you have a 32-bit installation by any chance? 

I'm going to attach the debug launcher I used for @Facile's problem to this post. It spams a hell lot of messageboxes, but it can pinpoint the location of the startup fault for me. This launcher is out-of-date at this moment so don't use it as a regular one. Report all the messages it shows to me, I'll look into it then.

The DebugLauncher can be found here -> LauncherDebug.zip

@Schmitzenbergh If you're referring to the OS, it's 64 bit Windows 10. Just to be sure that the Windows install wasn't borked, I did several sfc /scannow runs and it didn't turn up anything.

I used that debug launcher (placed all the files in the launcher directory after moving the originals to another folder called ORIG),  and these are outputs that I see:

1) Starting up the launcher

2) Checking cmd arguments

3) Starting the launcher

4) Setting-up mainwindow

5) Components initialized

6) ASYNC: Gamerversion == null -> In UpdateVersionMethod

7) ASYNC: Trying to grab Gameversion

8) ASYNC: Getting INI

9) ASYNC: Getting Gamerversion Done

10) Version known, normally starting

Then I get a different pop up window that states Renegade X Launcher has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I press the close window option, and that's it.

Edit: The odd thing is, that launcher stopped working error that Windows throws out only happens perhaps 1 in 4 or 5 times. The other times it just never does anything that I can see, just never shows anything without any active processes that I can find.

Edited by arestavo

Hmm... Very weird. It runs through all steps, but yet it can't show the window. Any overlay software running or something else that tries to attach to a game? Overclocking software? The launcher seems to crash at the moment it want's to show the main window. This is most certainly something externally (I have 3 pc's at home, one with an AMD gpu, one with a Nvidia and even an Intel thingy to test the launcher and all run fine.)

I'll try to cook up another launcher to try and pinpoint the problem, but it will take some time. Kinda busy at work atm.

• Like 1

On 24.06.2017 at 8:12 PM, Agent said:

The self-patcher technically deletes itself before moving the updated files into place.

On 24.06.2017 at 8:05 PM, Schmitzenbergh said:

I can provide a standalone launcher if needed.

Today I made some experiments :)

Install.bat works. It completely removes old "launcher" folder but it can't move new "launcher" folder to the Renegade X directory. And at the end of installation process I always have  error message (can't find Launcher.exe).

So I found "RxTmp" folder where installation files lie and moved new "launcher" folder manually.

Problem solved, but I still don't know what's wrong with my pc ¬¬

Edited by UFO

8 hours ago, Agent said:

@Schmitzenbergh maybe we should demand administrator privileges for self-patching the launcher?

Maybe. If users have installed the game va the MSI that shouldn't be necessary. Then again, not everybody does this. I'll put it on the board, shouldn't be that hard to do.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 7:31 AM, Schmitzenbergh said:

Hmm... Very weird. It runs through all steps, but yet it can't show the window. Any overlay software running or something else that tries to attach to a game? Overclocking software? The launcher seems to crash at the moment it want's to show the main window. This is most certainly something externally (I have 3 pc's at home, one with an AMD gpu, one with a Nvidia and even an Intel thingy to test the launcher and all run fine.)

I'll try to cook up another launcher to try and pinpoint the problem, but it will take some time. Kinda busy at work atm.

That was exactly it for me! MSI's Afterburner was causing the launcher to crash - something that I've come to expect if I were using EVGA's PrecisionX, yet did not even think of with Afterburner as it is usually so stable. I closed out Afterburner and lo, the launcher works!

Thank you for that!

• Like 1