UDK Shaders - Eat3D Playlist (free DVD)

j0g32

I recently found this playlist about shaders/materials in UDK by Eat3D.

Free DVD! UDK Shaders:

Starts with the essential basics of shaders, and covers several interesting applications and techniques.

Very informative and comprehensive!

Thought it could be helpful for mappers of all experience levels. ;)

At the same I was thinking that perhaps we as a community could implement an easy to use set of high quality & procedural master materials for the most commonly used elements across levels:

Landscape - Rocks - Foliage

Which enable the mappers to easily switch out some textures and control parameters, without having to recreate (or copy paste) bits from other maps. And for example also align textures between rock meshes and landscape ;)

P.s. not sure if someone already mentioned this playlist, dont know where I stumbled across it. Please, delete if duplicate.

Edited by j0g32
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I quickly built a simple world-aligned set of rock and landscape materials, which line up both for rock meshes (along xy) and sand on meshes and landscape (along z).

The great thing about world aligned textures is that you can stretch the underlying meshes without distorting the textures.

On some bits the transition between landscape and mesh is virtually invisible.

With a bit more colour variation, landscape layers and vertex painting, this could be an easy to use starting point to produce good looking terrains.

World_MaterialKit.thumb.PNG.2679e91659f80eca3e786e6b618bdcdf.PNGWorld_MaterialKit_2.thumb.PNG.68af8aa952ae6e88aa9ca768761e6464.PNGWorld_MaterialKit_3.thumb.PNG.3bf0cbeae65fe7c9dea08fcd5b03e01a.PNGWorld_Material.thumb.PNG.f56f6ed79ec77973ade650b76d9a32d0.PNG

World_MaterialKit_4.PNG

• Like 1