Cannot join servers.

Riou Insuiko

Hello! I've been absent from the Renegade X community for a little while now, but since I'm now able to play regularly again.. I'd like to! Problem is, I've redownloaded the client and game (up to 5.281?) and I am unable to join any servers. I am able to skirmish with bots, but not much else.

When I load the launcher up it will function as normal: 96d7b46ed38e8599372c704e291fba9c.png

However, when I attempt to join a server it will take me through the opening cinematic (I know you can disable this) and following this it will go through the loading screens showing all of the different buildings, vehicles, etc. After about 30 seconds it will simply put me on the main menu of the game and it does not give me any error codes or any reason for being unsuccessful in joining.

I'm not super tech savvy, but I tried to solve this problem myself. I even deleted/re-downloaded the game and launcher a few times. I'm also running this as administrator by the way. I can't seem to resolve this issue myself so I'm hoping that I could receive some assistance from the kind people here on the official forums.

Just some additional information: I noticed that UDK is running as the 32 bit version (I am running a 64 bit system). I'm also on Windows 10. I've tried running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 7 also, and while the game still functions, I am unable to join any servers or anything. EDIT: I have also verified the integrity of the game several times during this.

Thank you.

Edited by Riou Insuiko

6 minutes ago, Ruud033 said:

Hey, this sounds like an issue with firewalls and anti virus stuff. Did you test several scenarios with disabling both already? 

Sounds like the actual connection gets refused between your server and your client 

I have not disabled my anti-virus or opened my firewall. I am mostly ignorant when it comes to technical details, but I am doubting that my firewall or anti-virus is the problem because I have not received any notifications of errors, intrusions, blocks, or whatever from those services. I also recall playing in the past with both active. I could be wrong though unless something has changed that I am unaware of. 

I don't really have any way to verify if it is indeed the connection or not, because I do not seem to get any refusal messages or anything when I try to join. I vaguely remember that a long time ago, a friend of mine had mentioned that your Steam name and your in-game ID need to match - or perhaps that you couldn't be on Steam at all - otherwise it would refuse you for some reason. I don't know if that's relevant information or not. I've tried matching those two and it does not work. Perhaps there is something else I'm missing.

Edited by Riou Insuiko

The immediate disconnect is odd, I will check our irc records later to see if the join request gets through but just disconnects or if it never reaches the server.

there is a good chance it will be firewall related.

try going to windows firewall and creating an exception for the udk.exe to make external connections through the firewall.

It's EKT-Riou, yes. There's no connections? Weird. See the problem is that I don't know why that is. I have internet that works (very well) so I don't think that's a problem either. What the heck is going on here?

Could it have anything to do with Steam?

Edited by Riou Insuiko

• 9 months later...

TBH im having the same issue on my windows 7. I have the same problem of being able to play a skirmish no problem, but when i swap over to multiplayer and join a server it boots me out to main menu saying there's NO ERROR TEXT. I've followed through with the OP with the fixes, attempting a third time of reinstalling the game and im going to try and make sure my steam name and game name are the same as soon as it finishes downloading. If the OP wouldnt mind telling me what the fix was, i would greatly appreciate it! been looking over 4-5 pages of forums so far lol

Edited by xXDestanyXx
cause spell error

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, xXDestanyXx said:

TBH im having the same issue on my windows 7. I have the same problem of being able to play a skirmish no problem, but when i swap over to multiplayer and join a server it boots me out to main menu saying there's NO ERROR TEXT. I've followed through with the OP with the fixes, attempting a third time of reinstalling the game and im going to try and make sure my steam name and game name are the same as soon as it finishes downloading. If the OP wouldnt mind telling me what the fix was, i would greatly appreciate it! been looking over 4-5 pages of forums so far lol

Most likely an error mismatch of some type with the server mutators.

Search in your installation directory and tell me if you have a file called Rx_Mutator_MaxPlayers.u

Also it would help if you specify exactly which server you are trying to connect to.

(I see you're ingame now, have fun!)

Edited by Sarah!