Community psychology

testman

Since RenX player base is big enough to fill one server at a time, I have had an opportunity to meet all kinds of players, from very polite players who play well and fair, to absolute shitheads who argue in team chat about irrelevant stuff while their base is burning around them.

I think that for community to grow in size and quality, players should try giving their best in all aspects of the game.

Some time ago, Valve released videos of talks that happened at Steam Dev Days.
Among those talks was one that touched on this subject:

The interesting part for me is at 36:45.
At the end-game survey they asked "did you have good teammates?", not that much for the data but mostly for the purpose of asking the next question:
"How good of a teammate was I?"
They say that simple addition like this improved the quality of their community quite a bit.

I think that adding the end game survey to RenX would probably have similar results.

Spoiler

It doesn't have to actually work and collect data, it just has to be there for shitheads to reflect on themselves a bit.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Axesor said:

So what may be source of toxicity?

Egocentrism is certainly one of them. Certain players (often spoiled teenagers) believe that they are the best, so they will always blame defeat on the team or something else; some will also complain about getting killed and throw hackaccusations at snipers. Others are also attention whores and want to be acknowledged by the players, so they start saying irrelevant stuff and doing stupid surveys. Egocentric people also have a tendency to be stubborn too.

2 hours ago, Testman said:

Hide contents

It doesn't have to actually work and collect data, it just has to be there for shitheads to reflect on themselves a bit.

Spoiler

The shitheads would probably just spam mouse button to skip it since they will want to play another match.... or just rate one out of five, as they will blame the team for the loss. ("fu loser team, etc...")

Edited by Jarzey
  • Like 1