is this game still played?

wubbeyman

I still think we should go trough with some promotion project, like Make Ren-X Great Again.

Or we should invent some RenX dank memes and start spreading those.
Some interesting parts of internet say that meme magic is real, and that it was used to meme Trump into office.
If they managed to do that, then we can also use some meme magic to make people come play RenX.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just learned about this game last night myself after binge playing OpenRA's C&C mod.  I was really disappointed when I saw all the servers looked empty.  Are the servers most people play not default servers listed or something?  I'd love to play with people, just need to know when and where everyone plays lol.

I'm usually on around 3am-7am GMT (8pm-12am MST)

47 minutes ago, Korzag said:

So, mostly only European players then I take it.  Not much NA love :'(

not exactly. RenX got players from all around the world. Dunno when the US servers [MPF / GunKata] fill up (or at least have some players on 'em..).

Most players from US / Canadian players go online, when the Europeans go offline though :/

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

@Denuvian *lol* yeah... mistype.. don't take away my dreams though ;)

I started RenX ~1 year ago... and from what I heard many players quit RenX after Beta 5.2 got released :/

Was 5.1, but there was already a MASSIVE decline in players before that that started when Beta 5.0 was still just hanging around. 5.1 just got complained about because it removed buying of Carbines/Tib-rifles. It wasn't that patch that really killed population more than it was though. 

DDoSes killed EKT; the TMX clan killed itself, and CT is about the only stable, active community in RenX now. 

There's actually a lot of new faces around, but I know for a fact I wouldn't personally join a server with 4 people in it if there was one with 36 sitting there. 

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Who summoned me.... Uuurgh.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: At the moment my time is so sparse, I'm glad I can attend the Pug for a few hours. I have 2 things planned for the launcher. A queue for full servers to join and an IRC client.

The icr client is half assed done. It can send messages and login to an IRC channel. The queue is only something in my mind for now. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle to implement, but I havent got around to start on it.

Edit: Queue is a big word. It is more like your own little Havoc that warns you when the server is free.

The waiting room is something that can be implemented, but I will need some server side changes for it. I dont have any plans for it at the moment. If demand is high I will put it on the list.

In about 1,5 weeks my 2 week vacation starts, so maybe, if work allows it, I can work on implementing the queue and the waiting room. But I must say my motivation is a bit low due my busy schedule. Don't get me wrong, I want to add stuff to the launcher, but at the moment I can't find the time for it. (yeah, a little hour, but when you are busy programming, an hour is nothing...)

• Like 3

Wait, how is IRC client not a waiting room?

Question is just if you will connect it to cncirc's #renegade-x or will you make new channel called #renegade-x-lobby.

If you can, throw launcher code on Github, maybe I can write some spaghetti code that would help make those proposed changes happen.

• Like 1

@Norc IRC je more or less just a chat room. Ofc you can wait in it too, and it is the begining.. to see how many players are interested in playing, and Waiting room is something similar, but it will automatically join all the waiting players at "required number of players"=waiting+playing, and this required number would be for example 20 by default, but may be set up to 35 or less than 20.

...or, well, its just my idea about how it may work.

Edited by Axesor

1 hour ago, Axesor said:

@Norc IRC je more or less just a chat room. Ofc you can wait in it too, and it is the begining.. to see how many players are interested in playing, and Waiting room is something similar, but it will automatically join all the waiting players at "required number of players"=waiting+playing, and this required number would be for example 20 by default, but may be set up to 35 or less than 20.

...or, well, its just my idea about how it may work.

A launcher could communicate through IRC to do something similar to this. It'd have to communicate "looking for match", know when 20 people are still actively looking, and then pick an acceptable choice of server, and communicate that server to all their launchers so the launcher internally clicks "join".

The point is, baby steps, is to have built in IRC to the right channel, so people know how many people are in the launcher lobby. It'd also be nice if the launcher started closing when the game is launched from it. That way everyone in launcher list is actually at the launcher, and because once the game is running it doesn't need the resources the launcher is consuming.

With some effort you could get it working with WINE or in Windows virtual machine by enabling PCI passtrough to get GPU working properly inside it.

Or just dual-boot macOS with Windows. From what I understand, Apple has that Boot Camp thingy which makes dual booting work fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Agent said:

I would say to focus on the basic single-channel IRC client first. A proper queue will probably require some work on my end as well.

In addition, a queue is better off being implemented in-game rather than from the launcher.

Either way, single-channel IRC client would be nice indeed (as well as launcher auto-closing when game is opened).

I am unfamiliar with (good) in-game queue implementation, but you sound confident and eager and are the person to do such a thing.

I'm slowly getting active again, but it's mostly working on bot-related things. I don't plan on picking up anything else in-game related unless it's very minor or a bug fix -- I really need to finish in-game downloads (which I haven't touched in months now, but hope to resume working on soon) before picking up any other projects.

• Like 2

On 13-12-2016 at 11:00 PM, yosh56 said:

but I know for a fact I wouldn't personally join a server with 4 people in it if there was one with 36 sitting there. 

Hah, I'm pretty sure that's how everyone sees it.

I only started recently myself, well, started again, my last try having been quite a while back, and while there's only one server that ever reaches the full 40/40, I've had a lot of fun with it, especially compared to classic Renegade which I also tried again just yesterday, classic Renegade also doesn't have much left, about the same number as Renegade X.

• 1 year later...