Ren-X Youtube campaign

Redline

Yo dudes,

Its quite apparent ren-x has a large and active developer base, but the player base doesnt seem to reflect it.

I've done kickstarter projects in the past and one of the easiest ways to get more people is through youtube. There are Small-Medium sized (10,000-100,000 subscriptions) Youtube gamers that tend to try out new games & review them. I say we create & crowdsource a Google-Docs excel sheet with links for a couple dozen youtubers. The document would provide a list of twiter / youtube contact links.

After we collect enough names, we get as many people as we can to send the medium sized youtube gamers a humble letter someone might craft with plenty of links to awesome gameplay/trailers.

Bring it a step further. Invite them to a 45+ player pug match with developers on teamspeak.

They create a dozen free videos, Ren-x gets free advertising to an untapped gamer market, and they get their ad view revenue too. Everybody wins.

Thoughts?

I think its a nice idea But (Imo) some reviewers are very neg critics for the sake to be different from other.

Althought Renx community is not very large at the moment ,The ones that play renx like the game .

I'm more in Favor of 'mouth to ear' way..slower but Better with a Serious reviewer once a while .

If every present player Bring 1 New player that realy like RenX ..Goal is ..GGed ! :)

The game is close to being where it could be advertised heavily again. I think there still needs to be some work done though. There's still some silly bugs that have been around forever. Some new/changed maps would help too. Stuff that people who have been playing are used to, but new players will wtf at.

Currently we are, for instance, working on a downloader for custom maps thats going to be integrated into the launcher and we are working on making Marathon unnecessary. Honestly by watching youtube videos of new players playing earlier versions of this game you will see that they hardly noticed the bugs, even though the earler versions had a lot more of them. The players mostly disliked the lack of progression in the game (cause of it beeing hard to understand what they should do as newbies and cause the stalemates in renx are still one of a kind).

Yeah it kind of is. Last time i checked a demo it seemed to work pretty good. Most problems we had with demos (like repairbeams and tankturret rotation not beeing shown correctly) were fixed so there was never a better time to make movies out of demos. Though you would need to contact the serveradmins to get the demos and i think there currently isent a working link to the latest RypelCam. Need to provide a new link. Definatly would also like to do a vid myself but typically i think about movies that would need too much of my time so id need to lower my own expectations ^^

A tutorialmap from the devs ? ... i dont think we have a mapper left that would like to work in that type of minefield (players would have all kind of different ideas how a tutorialmap would look like. That together with it not beeing easy at all to do makes this a tough job. Goodluck finding someone to sign up for that :D ).

If anyone needs any demos, please contact me. I will gladly supply an FTP account where you can snag the demos. A word of warning: do not distribute the demos to anyone else as they contain each player's IP address for that session which can be used maliciously in the wrong hands.

@RypeL: Getting a link for RypeLcam would be amazing. The stock UDK demo viewer is less than desirable and is missing key features.

• Totem Arts Staff

RypelCam is very useful. How much has it improved lately? Last time I used it there were just some annoyances that I experienced like: no arms in first person and some sounds missing.

If anyone needs any demos, please contact me. I will gladly supply an FTP account where you can snag the demos. A word of warning: do not distribute the demos to anyone else as they contain each player's IP address for that session which can be used maliciously in the wrong hands.

Still waiting.

RypelCam is very useful. How much has it improved lately? Last time I used it there were just some annoyances that I experienced like: no arms in first person and some sounds missing.

Still waiting.

PM sent. Sorry for the delay

I say we start preparing the excel list of youtubers for the next big patch where we get 2-3 maps released.

And whoever wants to make a new video I suggest finding pug footage where we are doing epic rushes and compile something like this

"This is Ren-x - Uncensored"

Demos are those used to do the officials renx trailers?

Can I do one ,what do I need ?

Apart doing my little ingame videos (Fraps) never done something so nice .Wish I could do :)

(and btw last pug videos coming very soon..just need to get it right with an old vers of Sony Vegas..used Window movie maker before but last video was too big got corrupted )

I say we start preparing the excel list of youtubers for the next big patch where we get 2-3 maps released.

And whoever wants to make a new video I suggest finding pug footage where we are doing epic rushes and compile something like this

"This is Ren-x - Uncensored"

Still the best game trailer I've ever seen.

If you want to do stuff like that EVE trailer you'd really want to have replays. That's how they get the footage with such good graphics / camera work. Is this possible with RenX?

Yes this is possible in RenX. Replays are called "demos" in Unreal Engine. Thats why we were talking about "demos". And RypelCam is a tool i started over a decade ago to create camera work in this Unreal Engine demos/replays and it adds some other features to demos too. For example the camera work in this trailer from the Red Orchestra team was done from replays/demos with the use of RypelCam:

(@Lavadragon: no arms prob is a engine prob with demos that cant be fixed with RypelCam though. So this replays work best when recording from 3rdperson camera angles. 1stperson has some issues in UE3, mainly no arms and beeing a bit laggy, that we cant really fix).

That EVE video reminds me of this:

I believe there we could cut best audio clips from the recordings of PUGs people post on Youtube and get video footage with RypelCam. (it would probably be good if owners of recorded voices gave permission to use their voice in trailer)

But honestly, I believe that game should get tutorial and a bit of polish before we start with mass promotion for it.

I agree that we should wait for whatever tweaks are added to make games more reliably 12-48m long and naturally-ending, as well as maybe a big-hype type of map.

After that, we should plan to do something to promote this. Consider Steam. Make promotional videos, possibly the PUG gameplay. Invite some medium-level Youtuber who's gig is multiplayer shooter, maybe preferably a Planetside 2 enthusiast.