[Map] CNC-Quarry

Ruud033

So my one map (yes curse me because I only have made 1 map... and.. a shitton of content) is nearing completion CnC-Crash Site.

I've been looking for an other project, I'm still in doubt what to do. Create more custom content or just create a nice map. I've got a tonne of knowledge now on how to do things and I feel like it would be a shame if I didn't do anything with it.

One thing I've learned in the year that I'm working in UDK is that I'm better off with a team if I would like to see progress quickly. Therefore I decided the next map I would make is going to be with one or more teammembers.. Hence the question; who would like to team up on a map ?

I've got an idea for a new map, that is basically based upon this picture below:

r6N9c0c_zpskfpmnomr.jpg

I like the dark and weird atmosphere and the difference in height would make up for interesting gameplay I think. I still would not really know where to place the bases etc..

Again, as I said, I'd like to create such a map but not alone. In order to see progress faster I'd like to team up :) So what do you guys think? Would such a map work out for Ren-X ?? Would it be interesting enough to develop? I'm not really sure whether I'm willing to start up this project or help others first. Depends on the possible cooperation really. I'd say no air vehicles here as a start. Post your comments below!

Well... I'm up for it. But I don't know in what speed you want to progress. I'm starting with my Master next month so I will have less time, but I still be available.

Can we work together on a map simultaneously then?

If anyone else has more free time give it to them, but I would love to help you as much as I can :)

A new map is always welcome, but why don't you approach this the opposite way: instead of asking people for 'your' map you can help people with theirs. Right now I have the feeling there is a need to finish a lot of these custom maps first, cause this will have a major impact very quickly. Offcourse the idea of the new map is cool, but what if you do it after you helped finishing other projects?

I think we can easily get a list of 20 unfinished maps which might be able to be published with your help. If you want to I can make a list. Offcourse the decision is yours and from the mapmakers themselves.

what I am really sad about is that there are alot of custom maps,but we never gather up on the test server to try them since the test night that handepsilon used to host,and so it may feel like a waste of time ? :( if there were enough people to fill up the test server,maybe then all the other players go there ?

also what happened to the woods testing thing ? if it's not tomorrow then I will not have the time to participate.

• Totem Arts Staff

Now you're just reminding me of those jokes and laughs we had in test server *cries*

I've been giving up on getting people organized for this stuff. Too many technical problems and some people just cba, even with a lot of support that each servers and even developers have given in the past (also, RIP sniper server too I guess....). The whole hassle of installing is just not for the faint of heart.

A new map is always welcome, but why don't you approach this the opposite way: instead of asking people for 'your' map you can help people with theirs. Right now I have the feeling there is a need to finish a lot of these custom maps first, cause this will have a major impact very quickly. Of course the idea of the new map is cool, but what if you do it after you helped finishing other projects?

I think we can easily get a list of 20 unfinished maps which might be able to be published with your help. If you want to I can make a list. Of course the decision is yours and from the mapmakers themselves.

Yeah I was also thinking of this. But that sort of depends on the other mappers as well and what they wanna do with their own stuff. I'm fond of the idea of helping making them though, that would scale the production time up properly. Maybe I'll do just that first.

Well... I'm up for it. But I don't know in what speed you want to progress. I'm starting with my Master next month so I will have less time, but I still be available.

Can we work together on a map simultaneously then?

If anyone else has more free time give it to them, but I would love to help you as much as I can :)

Ah nice doing a master eh? That would take up some time I imagine, especially at start. There is a way to cooperate which I'm using right now, but it takes some discipline. We cannot work in the map simultaneously because we would then overwrite each others work by saving the file over a file.

However, what I'm doing right now is I'm using streaming levels, with Crash Site, which are always loaded. It has 2 levels, 1 main level and 1 ship-interior level. UNLESS I communicate with my college that I'm about to edit his package, I never ever touch his package, due to risk of overwriting each others packages.

If we stick to working on our own packages (the .upk (normal package) and .udk (map package)) and just link each other with the streaming levels, all we have to do is just restart the editor in order to re-load the newest changes in! Works as a charm.

When prepping the map for final release, we just merge the streaming levels into one .udk (map package) level and release! All the other assets which have been spread out are easily moved to one .upk (normal package) package.

If we actually have to work in the same package, we got to make sure that we communicate properly about entering, editing and exiting the packages in time in order to avoid loss of work.

That's sort of my view towards cooperation. Anyways Schmitzenberg, if you like, I can also help you out with your current map first and we can look at this later on..?

Also see: http://www.stubbornhorse.com/?p=135

Well, you may always help me with CNC-Arctic Stronghold! I can send you the map. I havent split the map up in regions though. I'm not the most advanced UDK mapper so bear with me :) . You have a lot more experience with it. Give me a shout so we can share the map with each other. (Can't we use the source control feature in UDK for this?)

I feel like I'm hijacking your idea ;p I hope you don't mind :o

Well, you may always help me with CNC-Arctic Stronghold! I can send you the map. I havent split the map up in regions though. I'm not the most advanced UDK mapper so bear with me :) . You have a lot more experience with it. Give me a shout so we can share the map with each other. (Can't we use the source control feature in UDK for this?)

I feel like I'm hijacking your idea ;p I hope you don't mind :o

It's okay! we'll figure something out. Add me on steam (Ruud033) so we can chat!

As far as the source control thingy goes, we could try to mess with it. I'm not sure how to do it but this tutorial seems to be solid: https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/97 ... ce-Control

The developers use SVN and only work on a file once an other as finished (no simultaneous work)