Steam version

Snoipah

So this game I think would get a lot more love if we had this on steam, and I know you can't make money off this cause copyrights and shit, but is it possible to at least have it on steam as free to play?

I heard the steam greenlight costs 100 bucks to do, and honestly, I'd provide every penny of that myself(though I'm sure plenty of other people would want to pitch in too).

I just want this game to be more popular since it blows the pants off Halo, Cod, Killzone, Gears, and literally everything else on the market today.

The devs themselves are willing to front the 100 if they could get an EA word of approval on doing so. They are hesitant to do so without EA approving, and so far they have asked EA on more than 1 occasion and haven't gotten anything answer back either way. Since the C&C cancellation, they have had radio silence, that EALA was their inside connection before they went dark.

The devs themselves are willing to front the 100 if they could get an EA word of approval on doing so. They are hesitant to do so without EA approving, and so far they have asked EA on more than 1 occasion and haven't gotten anything answer back either way. Since the C&C cancellation, they have had radio silence, that EALA was their inside connection before they went dark.

That sucks.

Why don't we like, protest in front of EA headquarters so we can get the OK to put it on steam?

I actually really like idea of asking someone "influential" to get answer out of EA.

Or, if that fails, rename/reskin everything that is currently C&C related, so that game becomes somehow parody of C&C, and then it can get published anywhere, since there is no legal ground for copyright infringement.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the forum activation thing - and I normally avoid forums, just to post here on this topic; just put it up on Steam as an entirely free game with no gimmicks/dlc/anything, and wait for the inevitable EA contact and then discuss it with them at that time, or let the game die.

I'm redownloading this as I type this as I had to delete it awhile back to make space. I really hope there's more than four people on a server when it finishes.

and wait for the inevitable EA contact

Seems quite risky if you ask me.

I'm quite sure that this contact wouldn't be "Hey Totem Arts, how are you guys, haven't talked in a long time, want to grab a beer?".

However, I do agree that they need to get talking to EA and clear some things out.

Most specificaly I want to know: can TA set up different project (say really simple Android application), unrelated to Renegade X, and charge money for that. Something to indirectly provide funds to support RenX development.

or let the game die

Wat? Fuck no, not worth the risk IMHO.

What you guys don't understand, once the full version is released, there is no more point in NOT putting the game on Steam. This game right now is so far under the radar, even the bad publicity created by a takedown from Steam will raise the playercount.

Once the bugs have been removed from the game and gameplay tweaks made, there is litteraly NO reason to not put it not on Steam anymore... Unless you find waiting for EA to give us an answer is a reason, but that's never going to happen.

I'd say just do it. If the game is actually finished, there is nothing left to lose by putting it on Steam.

• 1 month later...
No I mean with regards to Westwood/EA. I don't understand how using a different platform to distribute the game would be problematic. Is it because the permission was received from Westwood and they went under?

Oh. Well, technically, Westwood went under long ago, it was more or less connections with "EALA" which handled the last C&C games.

And yes, an indie platform, is self sustaining. Getting aboard Steam, is sort of implied licensing it to Steam (check their EULA and developer's license agreement). EA may not want a name derived from them, to be permitted use by Steam.

Origin is always an option too. But that requires EA to actually put forth the effort that Steam is willing to, to host a storepage for it. Like steam, it could be free, but there has to be a store page, with a download link, and all that jazz, and Origin is mostly for EA so there aren't any "applications for open developers to apply".