Invisible Walls/Cliffs on Lakeside

DoctorB0NG

With the recent changes to Lakeside, it has become one of my least favorite maps.

Orca/Apache navigation is incredibly awkward now as there are very few ways to fly without either running into an invisible wall or random cliff.

If there would be a way to implement the seamless boundary (like in Canyon) for vehicles, that would be awesome. Also, the cliffs blocking the HoN/Bar should be removed. In addition, the invisible blocking volumes near the cliffs should just be turned into tiberium damage volumes to prevent sniping up there (although I really don't see that spot as much of an issue honestly)

What are your CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts?

true me also I dislike the invis.walls in lake side that now you have to contour often also in Without ,side mid cliffs close to base .When its obious path going out of map its ok ,but these I don't see the purpose for them .Im often air guy and its frustrating getting stuck in them .Mb because at some places the walls are positiong like a maze where you can enter but can get stuck in it

imo lakeside should be a non-flying map. The 2 ledges that are used to drop troops for ref-infiltration might be redone to have an awkward route to go on foot. With that I mean, it's too easy and too fast to go through there on foot, so there could be a winding-staircase on oposite sides to have ample snipe-time to kill off infiltrators.

Whiteout is a grey-area. The old hourglass wasnt a flying map either, so I might opt to change it to a non-flying, same as lakeside

Covering the cliffs in Tiberium to stop people standing up there is better then a invisible wall all day long.

I agree with this ,Tiberium is a good way to stop some standing spot,

@truxa ,I like lakeside and Whiteout as flying ..mb making the forest an infantry only no flying at all there would be nice

Covering the cliffs in Tiberium to stop people standing up there is better then a invisible wall all day long.

I agree with this ,Tiberium is a good way to stop some standing spot,

@truxa ,I like lakeside and Whiteout as flying ..mb making the forest an infantry only no flying at all there would be nice

Yes please! Or atleast put Tiberius on the cliff right behind the GDI barracks on Lakeside. They map quickly went from being my favorite to my second least desired map in the past week. Every time I've played, NOD would rush the back area with Apaches and drop off engineers on the cliff just above the barracks to camp and repair Apaches to suppress the barracks and destroy all of the other vital buildings. Since it's virtually impossible to get a clear shot of engineers on the cliff, the exploit has become completely game breaking because all of the GDI players are stuck repairing the barracks and repelling endless Apaches with regenerating health. The only things I could think of that could fix this issue would be to place enough Tiberium chunks on top of the cliff that it kills NOD engineers and obstructs the view of Apaches or raise the price of Apaches and Orcas to that of their Tiberian Dawn prices ($1000)

• Totem Arts Staff
It's easy, remove the flying vehicles and add a direct infantry path between the bases. The entry points could be between the ref and hon/bar, maybe connecting with the cave bellow, the forest or the field. Would like to see how that turns out.

Like another really obvious choke-point that'll just get mined...

Lakeside is / was off my favourite maps cause it has so many chances for both teams. But the invisible walls kill the fun. I get they where placed to prevent people from being dropped off on hills to snipe? Personally I didn't mind this, it's just tactic and can be countered by a chemrush or grenadier. I do mind it if happens on walls on a spot which can't be reached by anything except orcas and other snipers.

So if you ask me: plz do something about the invisible walls!

It's easy, remove the flying vehicles and add a direct infantry path between the bases. The entry points could be between the ref and hon/bar, maybe connecting with the cave bellow, the forest or the field. Would like to see how that turns out.

Like another really obvious choke-point that'll just get mined...

Show me a non-open infantry path which can't be mined.

Volcano has the same layout like this -1 direct 1 roundabout and 1 vehicle path for the infantry- and I see no problems getting into the enemy base only using the infantry paths. And even if I run into powerful unit that kills me at least something interesting happened; still better than hiking for a while in the forest and killed by an SBH at their base perimeter.

• Totem Arts Staff

Failing to see the difference in dying in the tunnel to an SBH chilling at the end, and dying to one sitting on the edge of the forest. You actually have a better chance avoiding detection in the wide path of the forest. Either way...

We already know my feelings toward Lakeside... and they are quite negative.

Lakeside was one of the most voted maps of b4 though. Really, a more visible interpretation of the invisible walls should set things back to good. The rocks by hon and bar being accessible by air but not foot was just overpowered not to mention exploitable. Making the rocks taller and making air go the entire length of the forest around the rocks to hit the gdi/nod base is a reasonable balance choice and a good exploit fix.

Failing to see the difference in dying in the tunnel to an SBH chilling at the end, and dying to one sitting on the edge of the forest. You actually have a better chance avoiding detection in the wide path of the forest. Either way...

We already know my feelings toward Lakeside... and they are quite negative.

I was not clear enough what I wanted to imply. It's about fun factor and excitement.

Going through the forest takes long and most of the time is uneventful, probably you get killed at the end of it (most likely by an SBH or a single guarding apache). Only a small fraction of players take that road (except from the starter rush).

Now look at Field's or Volcano's tunnels. Those are crowded and all interesting because you can always find somebody to shoot at, and if you get out alive on the other end you have a slim chance to cause some chaos in their base. Which is interesting for the other team becasue they have to be on their guard.

For vehicles it's almost the same. You have to take a looong way to finally shoot at some buildings, but most likely you will be intercepted by flying units which have the absolute advantage over land units on the field. I don't want to go off-topic, but I think without flying units the field area would be more action packed, because vehicles wouldn't have to worry about being wrecked if they are engaged by apaches/orcas and they don't have serious AA backup.

So I don't say it's the map's fault or this is all because of the evil flying units... it just doesn't seems work out well.

• Totem Arts Staff

I think the bugy Collison on Nod Cliff Side where u won't able to fly from your Ref to the GDI Cliff is real Game breaking u can't manage anymore to stop some sieges from GDI as Nod with Apaches but GDI still can use there Path. Also after adding the new Rocks near HoN, GDI now able to shoot from behind them at the Nod Refinery, i'm not sure if it already possible in 5.000 but now it is.

Yea i don't like Lakeside really much but now it's Hell as Nod.