Loading video's and their useage

Schmitzenbergh

I was poking through the movie folder in Renegade X and found loading video's for seperate maps. To be precise: Wall, Field and Islands. Why aren't these loading video's being used? They look great and give you a nice impression of the coming map. :) This could be handy for new players as they mostly don't know the key elements of the maps.

I know the "How-to" screen is helpful too, but that would be more of a menu thing. (Like in the original when you pres Esc you get the tutorial)

I load in roughly 3 seconds...doesn't sound like a worthwhile venture to be honest. Even if you load slower I don't think anyone takes so long to load that the videos would be worth it.

Well for faster machines you can continue showing the movie until you click to view the area or the match starts. If the loading is done during the movie, the loading bar will prompt to click for the match. A timer will be shown when the match is starting too.

I like the idea. It isn't very functional but can be aesthetically pleasing. For longer players it doesn't matter anyway, because they know both the maps and the video's. Just some eye-candy and a quick review of the map for newer players.

Still other things have priority :)

I load in roughly 3 seconds...doesn't sound like a worthwhile venture to be honest. Even if you load slower I don't think anyone takes so long to load that the videos would be worth it.

Well that's the point right now for me. The how to screen is barely readable because the loading is so fast. For me it's also like 3 to 4 seconds and more people will have these loading times. I'd rather polish the loading screen with some eye candy than a barely readable how-to screen that is there very briefly.

If the how to screen wat a separate menu option people could read it. The way it is implemented now isn't adding much to the aid of newcomers and that's the purpose of the screen.

• Totem Arts Staff

That small instruction boxes in the loading screen are not even making out well in my lowres game

I miss the old UT3-styled tip of the day loading screen with Havoc walk cycle. IMO that's more informative than having to look at the instructions all at once, especially in 3/4 seconds time