Poll: Walls without the Aircrafts

RypeL

Should we do a Walls without Aircrafts ?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should we do a Walls without Aircrafts ?

• Yes, with building ramps removed
    • Yes, but leave the building ramps in
    • No

Yes! definately! original ren had the 2 variants as well. Flying and non-flying.

Not to say that ren-x must be an exact copy but still, it is a reason why :P

Another is, well, without aircraft we get a bit more ground-combat and tactics going, rather than flying in, bailing high above the ground parachuting in to kill buildings. (As Nod particularly handy to bring in SBHs)

I think walls is the best playing map with air (remove air from other maps if anything).

The only problem, is the war factory ramp and SBH. SBH are more nerfed lately, likely not as big anymore. Also, does anyone but me mine that ramp? 4 is all it takes, if your really diligent put 2 layers of 4.

Besides, lastly, when I am on good GDI teams, the wf roof is a chump spot, the sbh can't defend such tight corners vs C4, it takes like literally 2 seconds to vaporize him because he is literally always in the same spot and you don't have to guess because his stealth effect is clear as day from 2 meters aka the distance from the ramp to behind the smokestack. Then, it takes longer for Nod reinforcements to come in, even in Apaches the place is tucked in enough to diffuse through it.

The back corner of the WF, with a time c4 placed 3 meters out from the corner and with a 14 second delay, is generally better. A Nod APC can make an arse out itself to buy time, the SBH can rifle the diffusers from a non-c4 range, I believe plateau-top Sakura can even cover it.

WallsFlying was both better and way more popular than Walls in the original. But the majority of servers were 32p while crates gave only credits and refills.

Walls is already an easy map to defend but with more than 32p there are always too many people available to defend (similar with field, it was way better with 32 or less). The random crates have always been absurd, but on walls if the ref, pp, or bar/hon go down and someone crates a sak/havoc... as long as they're not retarded they can pretty much solo the game since the map is relatively open compared to most (also why the new fake hourglass isn't very fun). Or people can just game the crates and just collect a ton of money to prolong an already stale game.

Haven't played the original Renegade for a few years, but I remember when walls_flying came out, the non flying version was practically never played anymore, flying just made it much more fun for most players. But of course, an extra map is always welcome, but considering the developers' time is limited I voted no. I think time could be spent on other (better) things.

Haven't played the original Renegade for a few years, but I remember when walls_flying came out, the non flying version was practically never played anymore, flying just made it much more fun for most players. But of course, an extra map is always welcome, but considering the developers' time is limited I voted no. I think time could be spent on other (better) things.

Its just modifying the vehicles allowed to play with and perhaps change the buildings. What else? perhaps the ramps to the middle field top modified into just balconies. It isn't like they create a whole new map for it.

Mainproplem is still thats there is no GDI-Counterpart to the stealthtrooper.

There isn't supposed to be one. Just like how Nod has no counterpart to the Mammoth tank.

Mammoths were never an issue for a competent Nod team. Well, at least in Beta 2.

But SBHs means that GDI will always have to play defensively on non-base defense maps. Nod has to also, but not too much to the point where they have to constantly shoot every corner in vain hopes of catching one. I can't recall how much games I've lost in pre-Beta 3 because SBHs were borderline impossible to detect...

I think walls without flying is only worth exploring if the map gets changed in some interesting ways. Allowing vehicles and infantry from the field to go up the side exits might be interesting (like the bug allowed you to do). Closing off the top of the plateau as Truxa suggested would also be good. This would take more time to make and might confuse new players though.

I don't see walls without flying being played much without changes. I vote for no ramps with or without changes though.

I don't see walls without flying being played much without changes. I vote for no ramps with or without changes though.

Here is an idea:

Make a map-rotation of maps the server owners chooses, like old ren.

It would remove the vote-spam (mapchange) because the server plays all the maps anyway, so no votes needed.

I'd be way more interested in flying variations of some other maps... which would also includes more free-flow in the map, no invisible walls, an entirely different conceptual mindset, and a shit ton of work.

But hey.

Between Walls and Walls_Flying I would always pick Flying. And obviously Walls would need to have removed ramp access to the top of the mountain, as usual.