Environment Artist

Aircraftkiller

Well, I wasn't thinking too clearly last night when I posted this. I'd like to contribute to the team but it'll have to be later on this month. I want to finish up the obligations I made for Renegade, such as completing the new Fjord level that I designed for it. As I wrote to Fobby this morning, I'm sorry if it's a bit of a jerk move on my part to offer assistance and realize later that I might be over-stretching myself. By the end of June, I should be able to take care of the work that Fobby requested before I could assist you guys.

Regards, and my apologies. I'll stay active here in the meantime.

Dang I guess my memory is fuzzy. Did you do redux or glacier? Or any sick maps? :)

Here's a short list courtesy of someone who was apparently trying to compile everything I had done for inclusion into some "ultra mega map pack":

C&C_Bunkers.mix | Version 2.0

C&C_Basin.mix | Version 1.2

C&C_BasinTS.mix | Version 2.0

C&C_Beach.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_City_Flying_Exp.mix | Version 1.2

C&C_Country_Meadow.mix | Version 2.0

C&C_CYTeamDM | Version 1.0

C&C_DMCenter.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_DMCenterTS.mix | Version 2.0

C&C_DMConYard | Version 1.1

C&C_Eglin_AFB.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_Flight_Deck.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_Forest_Trail.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_Glacier_Flying

C&C_Glacier.mix | Version 1.1

C&C_GlacierTS.mix | Version 2.0

C&C_Golf_Course.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_Land.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_Mars.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_MedicalLevel | Version 1.1

C&C Metro | Version 1.0

C&C MetroTS | Version 2.1

C&C_Metropolis.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_Mines.mix | Version 1.3

C&C_MinesTS.mix | Version 2.1

C&C_River_Canyon.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_River_Raid.mix | Version 1.0

C&C_River_RaidTS.mix | Version 2.0

C&C_The_Woods_Today | Version 1.0

Of course, this list doesn't include the levels I made for RA:APB... Of which there was a substantial amount.

Mahi: I'm in Wekiva off Hunt Club.

Frog: Thanks!

You think it's funny that I had to beg for money because my ex had put me into a position where all of the money I earned was taken from me? That I could barely feed myself, much less the two creatures that brought me some semblance of happiness? I was living in a place where being on the street was very possible. I don't know what you heard or who told you that stupid shit, but I do not find it amusing to have that part of my life brought up as some sort of joke... And I'd appreciate it if you would not propagate whatever story you were told by people who thought it was hilarious to take what I said in 2006 and twist it into some demented attempt at making it look as if I had "stolen" money from anyone.

• Totem Arts Staff

In Soviet Russia positions are better than you.

Uhm hey guys w/e this is about, it seems a little private. Think we've got enough drama on the forums already mmkay?

You're welcome to look at this thread and determine it for yourself. ;-) I generally don't care for internet drama unless someone's personally attacking me. Which, as we've seen in this thread, happens regardless of what I say or do. Some people will not let go of the past, or believe they're being slick by bringing up garbage from six years ago.

Please accept my apologies if it seems harsh for me to speak to him as I did; I am merely tired of seeing the same untruths spread about me wherever I go in the C&C community.

I like my name, though! It's not always negative. It's mostly just people associated with "APB" who have issues, and they're few and far between these days.

To me, the name 'aircraftkiller' always stood for quality and was sure not to be junk or a virus. Whatever happened so long ago, even if it was your own fault, I'm sure you would make it happen never again

To me, the name 'aircraftkiller' always stood for quality and was sure not to be junk or a virus. Whatever happened so long ago, even if it was your own fault, I'm sure you would make it happen never again

Thanks, I appreciate it! It's always nice to hear that someone has enjoyed my work.

Alright, Lets moderate these comments here. Any more out of lines in comment towards Aircraftkiller, well... Will not go unnoticed / unpunished.

We are here to be a community, if your here to be a cave troll, kindly leave. I don't want, like, or expect such shenanigans to arise on these forums. If you cant be a civil person on these forums, or feel like trolling and flaming someone about past experiences or issues, your just flat out not welcome. Keep your childishness to yourself. Does everyone understand that? Get it? Got it? Good.

On a side note. Aircraftkiller, welcome to the community, I had good times working with your briefly on APB, Hope to see more of your Unreal Engine work.

If we judge everyone online by what they did over half a decade ago, you will find that few people have a closet that isn't full of skeletons. We are all human and we make mistakes. I'm sorry that you took offense to what I said in my late teens/early 20s. It wasn't really about thinking I was "good" than it was about voicing my opinion on what I liked and disliked in a way that could have been accomplished in a more civil manner.

As it stands now, though, I am still interested in helping with the development of Ren-X. I cannot say that I agree with the entire art style I've seen so far, but as a whole, it does look enough like C&C that I'm interested in the idea of creating immersive environments for it when my hands aren't as full as they are currently.

As it stands now, though, I am still interested in helping with the development of Ren-X. I cannot say that I agree with the entire art style I've seen so far, but as a whole, it does look enough like C&C that I'm interested in the idea of creating immersive environments for it when my hands aren't as full as they are currently.

ooooooh, now I'm interested, what exactly do you not agree on, and why? What would you change, and how would you have done it if you had started from scratch?

One thing I would have done differently (if I ever could program), would be to halve the amount of awesomeness put into graphix, and put it somewhere else. Renegade was never appealing with graphix, improving gameplay with more physics, easy load-times, needing only low-end computers to play and still having the capability of smoothly running 50vs50 matches filled with vehicles would have been my aim, but I wish it were as simple as 'take 50 points from graphix and put them into these features'.

I think they are doing a good job, including the improvements I've seen so far (MRLS with rotating turret and the like).

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

If we judge everyone online by what they did over half a decade ago, you will find that few people have a closet that isn't full of skeletons.

I know that feel, Bro.

Aircraftkiller, take a crack at rethinking the light tank? I always thought it looked out-of-place.

It's like a vacuum cleaner or something.

finally putting my brain into gear, ACK apply's for environment artist and build dozens of maps, so his artstyle objections should be around that :P

If you don't agree with the way maps are build or something, then by all means, build some of your own! I always found the renegade maps to confine people, mostly small roads with small stretches and bases nearly on top of eachother. More open-build maps strewn with obstacles instead of big walls would be nice, or anything else you can think off.

There are no maps that allow infantry to go toe-to-toe with vehicles due to ample cover. The only 'stealth' in the game (without SBH) consists out of shooting your way through some people and then having russian roulette to take a route where no enemy is at that time. There is only one map I know where infantry can go from cover to cover to stay invisible from the enemy team, and that's Glacier. Too bad it lagged so much in Renegade, I would love to see a renegade-x version of it ACK!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

looks nice! interesting, looks like an alpine level.

The only thing that I saw (perhaps it's just the angle), is that GDI's forrest seems much more organised.

More designspecific questions: is it possible to reach those powerlines (for sniping). How good will the tree's protect you from view from the base defences? (won't GDI have a big advantage with the GDI turrets capable of firing way before the obi can even see something?)

Where are Nods walls? It looks like GDI is easier to reach from the treeline with APC rushes in mind, except that there are only so many entrances. Nod seems harder to reach that way with long distances to the building entrances.

The longer I look at the map, the more interesting it seems...

Vehicles can easily approach the base defences, but infantry can use the trees for cover and to kill the tanks. Snipers are good but not terribly so as enemies can be anywhere. Vehicles that manage to survive the forest can, if they drive well, get almost on top of the buildings before the base defences can fire.

Maybe add one or two GDI turrets at the left gate for GDI, the AGT might only be able to fire at targets that approach from the forest for 2 seconds before they are sheltered by the construction yard and the wall. On the other hand, they only have that small entrance to get to. So put just one near the powerplant with a vision of the refinery, and any SBH that are dropped behind the wall can be stopped. Then both teams have ample angles to attack, sometimes needing to destroy a small turret or similiar first.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

You would have to read the thread I created on the APB forums to really understand what you're looking at. I'll sum it up: The GDI base is Hammerfest in Tiberian Dawn, before you see it in Tiberian Sun. It's meant to be entrenched and fortified. It has walls and gates, but they're also sort of a problem since the only vehicle that shoots over them is the Mammoth Tank. The AGT can be attacked behind a hill on the road without fear of being attacked, but that could change if server behavior makes the AGT see you behind the hill.

GDI has four Guard Towers protecting the base. I'll be removing the guns from the AGT so that it only fires a pair of Tomahawk missiles ala C&C95. The Nod Obelisk doesn't fire at aircraft but the SAM Sites I included will pop up and fire at them. Turrets give an additional layer of defense. The Nod base is meant to look quickly built in order to attack Hammerfest.

The base defenses fire through the trees, so they're not going to protect you from them.