Renegade X - Winter Update!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey guys. It's about time we update you on the progress of the project.

Renegade X is an Unreal Tournament 3 total conversion FPS mod that brings the world of Command & Conquer to ground level. Our current version, Renegade X v0.55, can be downloaded here.

Renegade X will soon become a standalone indie game using the Unreal Development Kit, and our upcoming standalone releases are currently in development.

We will first release Renegade X: Operation Black Dawn, a singleplayer mini-campaign in the works. That demo will be followed by the standalone multiplayer client, which is also currently under wraps.

New Website!

Be sure to check out our new site for news, images, downloads, and videos at http://www.renegade-x.com !

Mod of the Year voting!

With your votes, Renegade X has made it to the Top 100 released mods of 2010 in the Phase 1 voting! And now, we need your votes again!

To vote, simply CLICK HERE scroll to the "Top 100 Released Mods of 2010" category, and click on Unreal Tournament 3. Then, click the "Vote" button to the left of Renegade X's mod description!

votet.jpg

Dynamic Lighting System

In a previous update, we showed you the first glimpses of the Renegade X dynamic lighting system. When active, this system will periodically change the time of day in any level it is included in. It will first make an appearance in Black Dawn, where players will see a significant difference in lighting as the demo progresses. Of course, images are prettier than words, and we've got plenty of picture goodness:

rxbdss15.jpg

rxbdss13.jpg

rxbdss17.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff

rxbdss08.jpg

rxbdss01.jpg

rxbdss04.jpg

Tiberium

The Tiberian war is a fight that centres around Tiberium - a mysterious, lethal, and valuable resource quickly spreading through the earth. Tiberium mutates, infects, or kills all lifeforms exposed to it. The Global Defense Initiative, a UN-sponsored international security force, wishes to remove the substance and reverse its effects. The Brotherhood of Nod however, a secret society and paramilitary cult, sees Tiberium as a divinely sent gift; whose effects will spark the next stage in human evolution. Although these factions are polar opposites, they both see Tiberium as a valuable resource in fueling their arsenals.

rxbdss20.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff

Morph Targets!

In the future versions of Renegade X, vehicles will feature morph targets. This means that parts of a vehicle, such as its turret, tracks, armour, etc. will get twisted and bent when fired at. In addition, there will be fire effects when a vehicle is near destruction. When a vehicle is fully repaired, these damages will be reversed. Below is a demonstration of morph targets in action:

rxbdvehdamage.jpg

Transport Helicopters are back!

That's right! Air units will be making an appearance in Black Dawn, and today we'd like to show you all the new and improved transport chopper. This helicopter has room for 1 driver and 6 passengers.

rxbdss03.jpg

In Renegade, this vehicle was often called the "flying coffin", because it was weaponless, low in armour, attention-grabbing, and its passengers would almost always be killed if the vehicle were destroyed. But, this is Renegade X, and we want players to get what they pay for (in credits) ingame - why remake a useless vehicle identical? To make this transport worth its salt, it has now been armed with a passenger gun on each side. This way, the vehicle can now defend itself, but only if at least two passengers are on board.

Here's the passenger gun in action. Tada!

rxbdss18.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff

New Sniper Rifle

The basic sniper rifle is a 500-credit weapon used both by GDI and Nod. It is powerful against infantry, light vehicles, and features toggleable night vision.

rxsniperriflerender.jpg

Rx_SniperNV_02.jpg

All of the items above will be making an appearance in the upcoming Renegade X: Black Dawn release. You can find more exciting images on our website here. We hope to bring you more news very soon - there are many exciting developments on the standalone multiplayer release, which will make their way to public once ready. Until then, keep your eyes peeled on the forums and give our current beta a try.

Until next time, aur revoir!

The pictures you posted show an awesome looking environment and the morph feature for vehicles is really cool, can we expect to see this feature for buildings aswell? And the transport helicopter is probably the most bad *** vehicle with the new guns on each side!

All in all, I cannot wait any longer!

Sweet pictures, now I want to play Black Dawn even more badly :D

I just hope my 8800GT won't be stressed too much by these badass graphics :P

I've got an 8600 GTS 512MB and i've been able to play through it with little difficutly and a steady 40-80 fps, at default settings, so there are setting you'll be able to run down/off to make it even better

Everything is perfect, but the tiberium. Tiberium has PODS, don't do the same mistake as Westwood did in Renegade and EA did in C&C3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't make tiberium without pods, and it's not a little problem, IT IS A BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if you find this post offensive, that's not my intention, it's what I really think and I'm just trying to help the most I can.

Hm... A Vinifera (or how its called) blue Tiberium Crystal thingy would be nice too :D

Perhaps such a Vinifera Crystal (about 3 meters high i guess, i saw one in the demo for Tiberian Sun and searched for it, found it on cnc-inside.de) on the Black Dawn Mission Map?

Would be awesome to look at that huge thing

That 3meter crystal is like those Tiberium trees for the green one (Repeus i guess :D ), but instead of making green tiberium, it makes blue little ones^^

I would like to see with the new morph system, Weakpoints. Meaning a shot to the sides will do more damage than a shot to the turret. A shot to the ammo area, is hard, but with volts can be done, makes the tank blow up in a large explosion, killing the driver and damaging others in the area.

Fobby[GEN]]We'll have an even better system for buildings actually. Morph targets just shift and bends parts - but in the multiplayer release, parts of buildings will fall apart as they get damaged and destroyed. Punching a hole through a wall > Morph targets :)

Epic

Now i wonder what you guys can't do with that engine ^^

• Totem Arts Staff

yer but no affence to the dev team the 0.55 tib looked crap the new 1's look amazing .. and the "pods" you talk about is just earth been pushed out like a mole hill (thay will disapear in time !)

any way dictation is not a good course to take to get your own way

P.S. no 1 talks about the "tib pods" because no 1 is bothered about somthng that dose not look as good as the new 1's :P

i for 1 love the new tib mesh (*whispers* i think it looks better with out the "pods", any way *whispers*)

As mentioned the pods were just where the earth had been pushed up, in the older engines, it was harder to morph the ground in small areas like that, which is now possible in the UE3 engine, my suggestion would be to morph the earth up around the crystals a bit showing that they had been pushed up from under the earth.

The response about armor damage, week spots and such. I play another game where tank battle are essential in the game. Basically there are several types of armor and different types of weapons that are effective and ineffective towards the various armors. SO basically, you have a tank with armor on it and in the HUD you see something like so ( ||||[tank]|||| ) with the vertical lines being the armor and as each side takes so much damage they loose their strength going from green to yellow to red then disappearing.

In renx i'd suggest a similar system so that the players have to worry about their vulnerable side being attacked so much. My only problem with this is the small maps that are common in this game. In larger maps where drivers have room to maneuver around other vehicles like a Humvee around a mammoth.

Sorry to tell you guys, but both of you are totally ignorants about C&C. The pods are not the earth being pushed up, the pods are actually part of tiberium itself, in fact, they look darker than earth, being almost black or totally black. Just play the first C&C and Tiberian Sun, or watch in youtube any FMV from Tiberian Dawn (sorry if you don't know, Tiberian Dawn is the name given to the first C&C) where there's tiberium on it.

If you want more proof, I don't think that great mods that want to bring this both games to life in a new engine are ridiculously wrong, I'm talking about Tiberian Dawn Redux for Zero Hour or Tiberian Sun Rising for C&C3, for example. There has been a big debate about this fact being ignored in C&C3 by EALA, and that's why there are lots of mods that turn the "new" tiberium into the "old" one, Tiberium Essence is one of them. It's part of the fiction, and makes the difference between an ordinary crystal popping up from the ground and a strange alien lifeform-like thing that reproduces with the help of mutated trees.

I may seem like a stupid man trying to talk about something stupid LOL!!!!!!! but that's just the truth.

Sorry to tell you guys, but both of you are totally ignorants about C&C. The pods are not the earth being pushed up, the pods are actually part of tiberium itself, in fact, they look darker than earth, being almost black or totally black. Just play the first C&C and Tiberian Sun, or watch in youtube any FMV from Tiberian Dawn (sorry if you don't know, Tiberian Dawn is the name given to the first C&C) where there's tiberium on it.

If you want more proof, I don't think that great mods that want to bring this both games to life in a new engine are ridiculously wrong, I'm talking about Tiberian Dawn Redux for Zero Hour or Tiberian Sun Rising for C&C3, for example. There has been a big debate about this fact being ignored in C&C3 by EALA, and that's why there are lots of mods that turn the "new" tiberium into the "old" one, Tiberium Essence is one of them. It's part of the fiction, and makes the difference between an ordinary crystal popping up from the ground and a strange alien lifeform-like thing that reproduces with the help of mutated trees.

I may seem like a stupid man trying to talk about something stupid LOL!!!!!!! but that's just the truth.

Well, your right about the pods being darker, but that`s no reason to say "your totally ignorants about C&C". I mean, those pods aren't very much needed, or do you stay on the battlefield and look at those pods?

So, keep Cool ;)

There are priorities. I think that the most critical ones should be the ones that can really affect the dynamics of the game. Is this the case in your opinion? So, for the maps, right now, would be more or less a priority, due to the number of maps available. I don't say that they will not have to come. However, I think the priority is to polish the existing things and the things that are critical or important enough that can affect the game dynamics should be done first. I respect people's taste and priorities and congratulations on all the work done so far by the participants in and outside the teams to report bugs, and add various things around Renegade-X. I enjoy it right now and I think that is playable enough. Tiberium in this case would be more like esthetics in my opinion and should not affect the gameplay too much. Eventually, it will be there. :)

Pods are NOT important.

There are two ways that Tiberium spreads:

1. Through spore trees. It gets launched out and rolls into a field. This is where the pods come in. The pods are part of the Tiberium crystal that is not exactly rooted into the Earth's crust. This means podded Tiberium is the easiest to harvest because it doesn't really involve very much digging.

2. Tiberium that literally spreads and grows in the ground. This is the type that you can see in the screenshots above. The Earth itself is the pod of the Tiberium. It is rooted into the ground and requires some force to be excavated. These types of Tiberium fields tend to be larger and more varied than the ones made from simple spore trees but they also don't tend to spread as quickly. They are more dangerous to the environment however.

• Totem Arts Staff

I don't know if this is any consolation TiberFCSL but there are plans in the works for dynamically growing Tiberium and blossom trees spreading Tiberium. Also, leveldesigners have a great deal of freedom in how to approach the Tiberium aesthetic so you might eventually see some podded Tiberium albeit not in all maps.

Needles to say, Tiberium at this very moment is not a priority.

Dear R315r4z0r:

The second way tiberium spreads was first introduced in C&C3, and Renegade - Renegade X too of course - are based on Tiberian Dawn or a bit of time after it, the point is, bringing C&C3 tiberium to this mod doesn't make any sense. And BTW, you forgot to say that instead of using spores from mutated trees, they appear with the help of giant holes in the ground with big subterranean tiberium crystals.

Well, your right about the pods being darker, but that`s no reason to say "your totally ignorants about C&C". I mean, those pods aren't very much needed, or do you stay on the battlefield and look at those pods?

So, keep Cool ;)

I didn't say that because of they not knowing the color of the pods, I said they are totally ignorants cos they said this: "the pods were just where the earth had been pushed up" and if you know well and have played Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun obviously you can realize that's not right. And anyone who haven't played TD and TS is an absolute ignorant about C&C, don't you think so?

Sorry if I was a bit "violent", but my intentions were far away from making some kind of "fight" or "insulting".

Dear R315r4z0r:

The second way tiberium spreads was first introduced in C&C3, and Renegade - Renegade X too of course - are based on Tiberian Dawn or a bit of time after it, the point is, bringing C&C3 tiberium to this mod doesn't make any sense. And BTW, you forgot to say that instead of using spores from mutated trees, they appear with the help of giant holes in the ground with big subterranean tiberium crystals.

Well, two things. It actually has nothing to do with 'giant holes with bug subterranean tiberium crystals.' They are pretty much just there for visual purposes. Tiberium spreads through contact with other susceptible material.

Just because we first saw this method in C&C 3 does not mean that it never happened during TD or TS. Just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The basic concept of Tiberium is that it spreads and grows on itself. Crystals develop pods later in their growth cycle and detach from the earth. But for the most part, they are embedded in the earth.

I love how topics praising the amazing skill of these people somehow turn into us all arguing over weather Tiberium is supposed to have "pods" or whatever they are called. honestly I don't care if there are pods or not. I just want to play renegade and shoot the enemy.

Again my friend, you're wrong, I don't know where did you get that information but it's fake in part. I'll explain myself.

What you wrote in the first paragraph it's right in this part: "Tiberium spreads through contact with other susceptible material." It's right, because the so called EALA's "new" tiberium spreads this way, just by touching any other material and turning it into tiberium. What you don't understand is that's the way the C&C3 tiberium spreads, not the previous one.

The concept of Tiberium was different as Westwood stated: they said that it spreads by pods and roots, looking very similar to a plant, leeching valuable minerals from the ground and condensing them into the green crystals we all know. If you don't believe me, try to investigate more, there are even FMVs from Tiberian Dawn in which you see clearly roots growing out of pods under the surface, then they "suck" the valuable minerals and the green crystals start to grow up from the pods. EA in C&C3 created something new and very different, and Renegade X is based on Westwood's tiberium.

Just look at this video at the 8:00 minute and forward, that's exactly what I tried to explain.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7956943927480713200#

Again my friend, you're wrong, I don't know where did you get that information but it's fake in part. I'll explain myself.

What you wrote in the first paragraph it's right in this part: "Tiberium spreads through contact with other susceptible material." It's right, because the so called EALA's "new" tiberium spreads this way, just by touching any other material and turning it into tiberium. What you don't understand is that's the way the C&C3 tiberium spreads, not the previous one.

The concept of Tiberium was different as Westwood stated: they said that it spreads by pods and roots, looking very similar to a plant, leeching valuable minerals from the ground and condensing them into the green crystals we all know. If you don't believe me, try to investigate more, there are even FMVs from Tiberian Dawn in which you see clearly roots growing out of pods under the surface, then they "suck" the valuable minerals and the green crystals start to grow up from the pods. EA in C&C3 created something new and very different, and Renegade X is based on Westwood's tiberium.

Just look at this video at the 8:00 minute and forward, that's exactly what I tried to explain.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7956943927480713200#

technology improved! they were wrong at the start and now we know it!

jesus come on, tiberium is important in rts gameplay yes, but in a fps? we can probably worry about that night vision toggle more

my point is, the developers would have known what you are trying to raise here and maybe let's not hijack the thread into a big long debate

The concept of Tiberium was different as Westwood stated: they said that it spreads by pods and roots, looking very similar to a plant, leeching valuable minerals from the ground and condensing them into the green crystals we all know.

No, actually. It has always spread like that.

Notice that I did not say "whatever touches Tiberium turns into Tiberium." You said that, not me. I said Tiberium spreads through contact with susceptible material. That's pretty much how ANY plant grows. You put a plant in the ground, and it roots in and spreads. Tiberium, however, is like a plant on steroids because it spreads at an alarming rate. It also spreads through other materials... it isn't just limited to soil.

You focus too much on what you see. Tiberium has always behaved the same way. It has evolved slightly over time, yes, but only really during C&C4.

About your video. That is what I tried to explain. It seems that we are on the same page, but you seem to think we are in disagreement.

Look back to the post I made before where I said this:

1. Through spore trees. It gets launched out and rolls into a field. This is where the pods come in. The pods are part of the Tiberium crystal that is not exactly rooted into the Earth's crust. This means podded Tiberium is the easiest to harvest because it doesn't really involve very much digging.

Podded Tiberium isn't earthed into the ground. It is detached and easily harvested. It's like an apple that fell off of the tree it grew on.

Pods or no pods, it is the exact same thing either way.