Operation: Black Dawn

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

blackdawn.pngIt's been a while since our last update, but some very exciting developments have been happening behind the scenes over at Renegade X. Some secrets will be unveiled today in this update, and others will be left aside for another time, soon.

Over the past few months, the team has been busy with several things. In relation to Renegade X, we've been working on porting Renegade X over to the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), which would successfully make Renegade X into a free, standalone indie game. This process has required us to recode some basic elements, and create some new static meshes for the UDK versions. The UDK really is a new beginning in many ways.

On May 4th 2010, the team released a new image and mysterious riddle. After many elaborate guesses and some pretty close dissections of the riddle, some figured it out: Black Dawn.

Renegade X: Operation Black Dawn is a standalone singleplayer demo, featuring the UDK. Captain Nick "Havoc" Parker is back, and in a new original level designed from scratch by Totem Arts. The Brotherhood of Nod has captured the renowned GDI scientist Dr. Ignatio Mobius, and have taken him to an island stronghold. GDI's only hope in getting back Mobius is through the use of force!

• Capture the enemy beachhead under the covering fire of Gunboats!
  • Fight in large scale and covert battles!
  • Witness cinematics, A-10 strikes, cruise missiles, Ion Cannons, hovercrafts, and much more!
  • See the new, improved, and standalone Renegade X visual and audio experience!

It will act as a preliminary demonstration and a first-hand experience of the new face of Renegade X on the UDK, and what is has to offer. Most of what is being made for Black Dawn will be incorporated in the later multiplayer release of Renegade X - this will act as a step-up towards that final goal.

That's it for now - and that's just the beginning. Black Dawn is coming soon to a computer near you! Be sure to keep up with Renegade X in the coming days and weeks for more exciting updates on Renegade X: Black Dawn, and the UDK multiplayer release!

It-- uh-- wha--- its an-- okay, I gotta see this trailer.

*Insert trailer watching here*

YES.

On a side note, WOW @ that transport up there. Now THAT is artistic interpretation... hell, I could see the modern military using something like that-- oh wait it was probably inspired by modern tech wasn't it ANYWAY pretty freaking sweet, even if it is an update.

Hope to see more in the relatively near future :D !

QUOTE (a000clown @ May 17 2010, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naval vehicles would be fun to use in some custom maps
*imagines Renegade's first hovercraft rush* :P[/b]

It also brings assault missions a step closer. Having a certain amount of time to breach the enemies defences using whatever recources you can scrounge up during the battle, the enemy team having to beat your time after you beat them. That kind of thing :)

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (Demigan @ May 17 2010, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It also brings assault missions a step closer. Having a certain amount of time to breach the enemies defences using whatever recources you can scrounge up during the battle, the enemy team having to beat your time after you beat them. That kind of thing :) [/b]

Bingo.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ May 17 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bingo.[/b]

If you do add assault then Renegade-x is probably going to reach my top 3 most favourite games of all times. Depending on how well it's executed.

One thing of note: I hope that your skills with these new type of trailers will soon be on par with your previous trailer skills. It's visible that it's been more difficult to create smooth and action packed trailers with the UDK engine and all the porting still going on. And I think that the worshipping of Ren-x can go to far :)

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Hey this is great but why so dark ? and isnt there other things that should be fixed first before moving on ? I dont know how to build a game so maybe this is normal practice ? I just cant tell if this is a second part of renegade or if your trying to recreate the old renegade by draggging it into the 21st century by upgrading the graffix ;)

QUOTE (Demigan @ May 17 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you do add assault then Renegade-x is probably going to reach my top 3 most favourite games of all times. Depending on how well it's executed.

One thing of note: I hope that your skills with these new type of trailers will soon be on par with your previous trailer skills. It's visible that it's been more difficult to create smooth and action packed trailers with the UDK engine and all the porting still going on. And I think that the worshipping of Ren-x can go to far :)

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

>Implying Renegade is not the greatest game ever made.
:mellow:

QUOTE (epicelite @ May 19 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
>Implying Renegade is not the greatest game ever made.
:mellow:[/b]

Renegade is a good game, it's a great game. No matter what happens, you still keep comming back for more. But there are so many games which I have had so much more intense and submerging experiences. Renegade scores good on one thing: multiplayer. But all the bugs and all the other things make it not the perfect game it should have been.

So, yes, Renegade isn't the greatest game ever on my list. In terms of replay value, it is. But if Renegade-x can make it true on all aspects they claim to be able to improve it, and manage to achieve a steady players online on every hour of the day, they will probably make it to my number one spot. I have great hopes for it, but I've never reverred anything for their claims or my hopes, but on what they made true. So far, I'm only dissapointed in the fact that I've not really been able to play the beta's.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ALTEREGO @ Jun 7 2010, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok let me get this right this game is a single player game and it has nothing to do with Renegade X ? So how dose this help enegade X ? ok maybe im a little slow here[/b]

It serves 2 reasons: one is just getting more word out. A single player shows their skills in programming and modding. The second reason is that everything they are going to put into the single player is going to be used in the multiplayer as well. Every wall, stone, unit and missle is going to be used somewhere. Thus they aren't slowing down or sidetracking, they are still working on the mod Renegade-x as hard as they were before, if not harder.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• Totem Arts Staff

A lot of components from the original Renegade X need to be recoded and remade, so Black Dawn as a preliminary step will help us get to working on the multiplayer component again.

Also, since it is now standalone, this will act as a demonstration to those who have either not played Renegade X, and those anticipating the next release.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ May 19 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correction:
Greatest multiplayer game ever made.

The best game ever made is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.[/b]

No..lol. OoC is one of my favorites, but it's far from the greatest.

I can't wait to be able to play this game. :) I've spread the word around to several of my friends but most of them do not want to play till it's a finished project.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jun 7 2010, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It serves 2 reasons: one is just getting more word out. A single player shows their skills in programming and modding. The second reason is that everything they are going to put into the single player is going to be used in the multiplayer as well. Every wall, stone, unit and missle is going to be used somewhere. Thus they aren't slowing down or sidetracking, they are still working on the mod Renegade-x as hard as they were before, if not harder.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

So every missile is going to be into the game too? With those cruise missile's you can make a pretty darn awesome assault level (or a general level with just a few such hazars. Not too many though, would f*ck up the game). Anyone remember overlord from UT? You can make that a wild extravaganza of a real beach attack.

Tough it is always fun to have an alternate spawn method, like being dropped out of a plane, from a hovercraft or you just exit the apc that is arriving. Would also counter spawn killing (I know you did it, so did I long ago) if the apc or hovercraft would be firing a bit thanks to the improved AI. Something like that. You can always hope it will also be in the multiplayer.

-Ban4life

QUOTE (Ban4life @ Jun 13 2010, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So every missile is going to be into the game too? With those cruise missile's you can make a pretty darn awesome assault level (or a general level with just a few such hazars. Not too many though, would f*ck up the game). Anyone remember overlord from UT? You can make that a wild extravaganza of a real beach attack.

Tough it is always fun to have an alternate spawn method, like being dropped out of a plane, from a hovercraft or you just exit the apc that is arriving. Would also counter spawn killing (I know you did it, so did I long ago) if the apc or hovercraft would be firing a bit thanks to the improved AI. Something like that. You can always hope it will also be in the multiplayer.

-Ban4life[/b]

F yeah, Cnc_Overlord :D

QUOTE (dirtycopgangsta @ Jun 14 2010, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
F yeah, Cnc_Overlord :D [/b]

Towers, snipers, a damn big coastal cannon to disable and teleports (?) to get around.
Would have to sort that out, defenders could move quickly to defend something due to the teleports, but the CNC universe is a little ill suited for that... And having an easily accesible network wouldn't work either, one attacker getting into that network and it's quickly game over. Keycards would be an option? and perhaps an automated transport system (small underground trains that continuously travel between 2 stations, with one central station where every killed defender spawns).
I dunno, should have to be worked out a lot more.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jun 15 2010, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Towers, snipers, a damn big coastal cannon to disable and teleports (?) to get around.
Would have to sort that out, defenders could move quickly to defend something due to the teleports, but the CNC universe is a little ill suited for that... And having an easily accesible network wouldn't work either, one attacker getting into that network and it's quickly game over. Keycards would be an option? and perhaps an automated transport system (small underground trains that continuously travel between 2 stations, with one central station where every killed defender spawns).
I dunno, should have to be worked out a lot more.[/b]

Ofcourse not a perfect copy. You take the basics (a freaking beach assault with big ships and coastal cannons and bunkers and so on) and make a nice little assault from it. It adds to the ambiance if you have some big rockets and air planes overhead, explosions everywhere.
There is a but though. Only if it doesn't have too much effect on the game (i.e. the rockets impacting on your location) its good. Its no fun if the hazards are so bountiful that you are probably not going to reach the opponent. In single player that's ok. Multiplayer...

• 5 months later...