14 Years of Command & Conquer

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

I would like to congratulate the C&C community on its 14th birthday!

14 years ago today, the first Command & Conquer was released. Command & Conquer was released to universal acclaim in 1995, and the game's runaway success during the mid-1990s has often been credited with originally having defined modern real-time strategy as well as having played a significant role in popularizing the RTS genre with the wider gaming audience. The resulting C&C franchise has been described as being "nearly synonymous with RTS gaming" and "legendary" by professional reviewers and continues to this day with the series having sold tens of millions of copies worldwide with 17 titles (C&C 95, C&C Covert Ops, Red Alert, Red Alert: Counterstrike, Red Alert: Aftermath, Sole Survivor, Tiberian Sun, Firestorm, Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, Renegade, Generals, Zero Hour, C&C3, Kane's Wrath, Red Alert 3, and Uprising).

My oldest C&C memories come from C&C 95 (Tiberian Dawn). Back in 1995, we had acquired the demo of the game, which had contained 3 GDI missions (the first, the tenth, and the sixth). The missions were slightly different than they were with the full game, for example the Commando mission did not originally have vehicles. When buying the game and playing that mission, I was like WHAT?! Vehicles?! This mission just got a lot harder!

I didn't buy the game until the Worldwide Warfare pack was released, which had C&C 95, Red Alert 1, and their expansion packs, all for about twenty bucks. The C&C series definitely gave me thousands of hours of entertainment for the past fourteen years, and is the main inspiration for this mod and its community. Big thanks to Westwood and EA for working so hard on the series we all love.

command-conquer.518407.jpg

14 years already? Damn.

C&C holds a special place in my heart. Mostly because I played it A LOT when I was younger. And on top of that the tiberium storyline is one of my favourite storylines ever in a videogame.

To accommodate this celebration, I actually managed to order CNC3 Deluxe Edition few days ago, and it should arrive today or tomorrow. What a coincidence.. :blink:

QUOTE (Gasolin3 @ Sep 1 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
14 years already? Damn.

C&C holds a special place in my heart. Mostly because I played it A LOT when I was younger. And on top of that the tiberium storyline is one of my favourite storylines ever in a videogame.

To accommodate this celebration, I actually managed to order CNC3 Deluxe Edition few days ago, and it should arrive today or tomorrow. What a coincidence.. :blink:[/b]

I feel the same way, C&C is one of the only series of games where i have been able to sit and play the entire way from start to finish, most games i stop playing half way through. Holds a very special spot and its storyline is fantastic.

Coincidence? i think not :P C&C is calling you

Wow yeah, long time. C&C is some kind of magic formula for a good game. I just upgrade my vid card awhile back so I could play some of the newer games with super cool graphics and within 2 weeks I found myself playing red alert and renegade again. Somehow it never gets old no matter how dated the graphics may be. Probably why I'm so psyched about Renegade X. Finally the best of both worlds in one package.

xD my birthday is Sept 20 1995 :D im 14 too...cnc was born on same year as me but a lil b4 like it needed some more ppl to play the wicked game so it brought me here ;)

i started playing CnC1 for N64 when i was 4 xD bthenm RA1 and CC1 then Tib Sun and up to renegade for 5 years xD

Good Timing Much xD

QUOTE (punko24 @ Sep 9 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
xD my birthday is Sept 20 1995 :D im 14 too...cnc was born on same year as me but a lil b4 like it needed some more ppl to play the wicked game so it brought me here ;)

i started playing CnC1 for N64 when i was 4 xD bthenm RA1 and CC1 then Tib Sun and up to renegade for 5 years xD

Good Timing Much xD[/b]

wow completely forgot about it, scary how the years fly by.

Do you guys think cnc 4 will be out 1 sept next year exactly on the 15 year anniversary?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow; this is a trip down memory lane indeed...

Let's see... the first time that I met C&C was at Movie Warehouse, a local rental store, and I took it home and played it and loved it. Then went to my friends house and we played, and I figured out that you could also be nod. I was so surprised when i found that out, because I never read those booklets that came with the games...

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (=HT=Duro @ Aug 31 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow .. 14 years already .. i start my gaming life with C&C 95 ... when i saw the game , i was like why not .. 14 years later i still play C&C game :D .i have to search on ebay to get covert ops .. the only original C&C CD i dont have[/b]

Just by accident I ran into the original CD for C&C + Covert ops at a second hand store last year, almost mint condition except for a crack in the case. I bought for 1$ :lol:

QUOTE (Qbert @ Sep 30 2009, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just by accident I ran into the original CD for C&C + Covert ops at a second hand store last year, almost mint condition except for a crack in the case. I bought for 1$ :lol:[/b]

14 years already, that means i am playing renegade for 3.5 years now (i bought The First Decade when it came out but only started renegade 6 months after).

In the year 2023 we will say: "it has been 14 years since renegade X came out and we are still playing it. back than we played it on our windows xp, and now we are using windows-X, mac OSXX and ubuntu 23.04". (or whatever we call the operating systems than.

i started playing cnc when red alert came out, it was my first illigal game, when the box with counterstrike and aftermath came out i got the original, that was in 1997 (and after i bought: tiberian sun, cnc generals + expantion, TheFirstDecade and tiberium wars).
i was 6 when i started playing my first cnc :o those were the times that little kids could still get all the games, now they get a 16+ label if the game involves shooting.

@NoxBlade, i think they will release it September next year.

• 8 months later...

Interesting, looks like the 15th anniversary is coming up soon, just in time for the new stand alone Black Dawn release you guys are working on! I only saw this thread as somehow the new board software did not put the threads in the expected date order with the last reply being first below the stickys. No problem it was interesting to reread this thread anyway as like many C&C fans I have all the C&C games, currently lacking only the latest release, which being the last has made me hold off buying it for a while.

(I wonder if signatures ported over, I'll bet they didn't.... Well it looks like I was wrong they did!)

Wiz

god 14 years... sigh... first game i ever played was C&C95 N64, then i got to the wonderful PC =D

too bad ea came out with C&C4 and hurt the series bad....dam you *ow, the wound, from ea* D;>

I Don't call it C&C4, so EA when u gonna make C&C4? u know the real C&C4 =/ make it good don't rush it as we can all see what rushing it does lol

BTW some times ago i bought the Origonal C&C95 Disks from Westwood 1995 NOD&GDI Disk for $1, Still got em :D , the past year actually :D as a souvenir