Montauk and Kodiak as possible future epic vehicles?

Marinealver

Watching the devtalk video I think the Epic Vehicles is a great solution tot some of Renegade (original) design issues with game flow and progression (as game progresses options are taken away). So we have the GDI has an Epic Ground vehicle and Nod have an Epic Air vehicle. OCD kicking in I immediately thought of the command vehicles in Tiberium Sun the Mountauk as the NOD Epic Ground and the Kodiak as the GDI Epic Air vehicles could be an expansion.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:10 PM, Handepsilon said:

I dunno, I think I like the asymmetry. Let Nod shine with their flying fortress 😛

(we've also discussed Montauk before I believe, and Kodiak was actually represented as the orbital airstrike)

oh the asymmetry is a strength of the setting for sure, you just don't usually think of flying and Nod. 

Setting is GDI rules air and space, but Nod rules the Earth and everything beneath her surface.

What would/could the Montauk do, though?

It was a cool thing to see, same as the GDI Kodiak. Fit each faction's theme well. And with the Kodiak we could imagine some type of bombardment. But, with the Montauk? The only thing I could think of, similar to the GLA bunkers in Generals, is that upon use (painting its target area or deploying a beacon) that it would spring up from the ground and it would either start firing off an array of lasers and missile, potentially devastating everything around it or it could spew out a few units, who'd be loaded in it (in advance), for an instant ambush from underground, as though they were Devil's Tongues. Only it could release all types of vehicles from a mouth at the front. Maybe it wouldn't be the Mountauk, but a vehicle similar to it, suited for such a purpose. They could give it a cool new name even. They/we could expand the C&C universe, while we're at it.

Edited by MattHunX

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think a modular/wormlike subteranian APC would be more NOD-like. I imagine the vehicle could "swim" up and under the ground like how a dolphin swims in front of  a moving ship. In the middle would house a powerful laserweapon that can "popup" from the roof of the module and fire a short continious blast to retract before the vehicle dives into the ground. In addition there could be a small popup missile laucher that can house 2 or 3 missiles.
I think such a vehicle with hit and run tactics, would be more NOD then the airship. It would be less powerfull and armoured then a Mammoth mark 2, but maybe allow NOD to build a limited number.

Something like this: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rdGQG. But with one or 2 more modules attachted, like a locomotive with 2 passenger cars. 

Edited by GroundBird

• Totem Arts Staff

The concept of epic unit is to try and win the game and that it requires a team of players to operate it at full capacity. Having it being able to be built in more amount would impede the team due to lack of support. Besides, we have the Devil's Tongue already if we want hit-and-run sub and the Sub APC can also do that with its' triple machineguns, not that it's a realistic tactic to do since diving and emerging takes awhile to do.

The mechanic also feels kinda convoluted for the engine

I suppose you're right. I imagined the wormAPC would manned by 3 people: a driver and 2 gunners (main laser and missile launcher). You still would have teamcoordination, but spread over multiple toptier vehicles. Although maybe its not really a epic unit anymore if you can build several ones.

Then i´m a bit confused. 😅

Currently the Mammoth what we have shot with 2 cannons, fire rockets and also have a self repair ability. Regeneration of health is slow, but helps alot and with ranking up it´s much faster and also regenerates armor).

The Mammoth MK II what Westwood made (C&C Tiberian Sun/Firestorm) shot with a railgun, got also a missile rack for air vehicles and regenerates his health slowly.

The other one in the mod C&C Tiberian Essence got improved (how said with 2 rails, .....). This can i understand why it´s a bit overpowered.

In summary: Our current Mammoth (not epic vehcile) got more firepower than the Mammoth MK II (Westwood) and seems to be balanced.

That´s what confusing me right now. 😄

• Totem Arts Staff

The mammoth mk2, as of last sunday stream, has this as weapons

Driver : Twin Railguns + EMP shockwave burst
Passenger 1 : Heavy cannon + Machinegun
Passenger 2 and 3 : Missile launchers + Machinegun

Other than that, it has resistance to EMP (taking 3 to stop), ability to crush anything underneath it (vehicles included) and a whopping 12k health. Also, comparing the units to RenX one is not gonna do. The two are too different now.

8 hours ago, Handepsilon said:

The mammoth mk2, as of last sunday stream, has this as weapons

Driver : Twin Railguns + EMP shockwave burst
Passenger 1 : Heavy cannon + Machinegun
Passenger 2 and 3 : Missile launchers + Machinegun

Other than that, it has resistance to EMP (taking 3 to stop), ability to crush anything underneath it (vehicles included) and a whopping 12k health.

Ah, good to know. 😄

8 hours ago, Handepsilon said:

Also, comparing the units to RenX one is not gonna do. The two are too different now.

It´s the future with improved technology.... got it. ☺️

Thx for the answers.  :3