Potential issue with weapon cache crates

Tyrranis

I understand that the current weapon cache crate system was designed to prevent players from getting multiples of a weapon, however as it currently stands it is somewhat flawed.

Instead of giving a random weapon each time you pick up a weapon cache crate, it gives you the next weapon in a queue, assuming you don't already have it. For example, the first one I get will always have the GDI variant of the Automatic Rifle (assuming I'm not playing as a default Soldier and already have it), the second a Kinetic Shotgun, the third a Flamethrower, etc.

If this is intentional, then it does diminish the usefulness of these caches significantly, as you'd need to survive for quite a while and get a lot of them before you got a weapon that is a game-changer for your class.

There is, however, one exception. As it stands, the classes that can best use these weapon caches are the repair-focused ones (Engineers, Hotwire, Technician), as that initial Automatic Rifle is a great benefit to them.

As such, I'd suggest seeing if the weapon caches can have these queues defined by what character class the player that acquires the crate is playing as. This way, you can set it up so that certain classes get more useful weapons out of them than others, while also ensuring that they don't get duplicates.

After fooling around some more yesterday, I noticed another potential bug with weapons obtained from crates.

The weapons obtained are always at Rookie level, though if you advance in veterancy while holding it it will jump to your new level (i.e. getting a weapon crate at Elite will give you a Rookie weapon, advancing to Heroic afterwards will push it up to its' Heroic stats.).

One way to fix this might be to add some extra code to the Resupply function at the base terminals, so that when you resupply it checks your weapons to see if they match your current veterancy level, and swaps out any that don't match with the appropriate versions.

• 4 weeks later...