Base Mining

dtdesign

Renegade X experiences a significant influx of new players in the past months, which are absolutely fantastic news. However, this comes with a significant downside in terms of proximity mines. There have been a huge amount of games where new players have randomly placed mines, either overmining or adding mines when not at full mines. 

First things first, I'm not having any feasible solution whatsoever, this is merely a thread intended to spark some ideas to tackle the problem.

If you're playing as a dedicated base miner, there is little to no way to figure out what is happening. Last game was Walls BH (which tbh, is a terrible map w/o GT in public games!) where I did nothing but play tech since the start of the game. I made it absolutely clear that I will take care of all mines and boy, I had an excellent plan for everything. The game ended with me having 14 kills in 20ish minutes, all mine kills, they didn't even once hit a building as long as I had control over the mines, even ramps hat evil hidden mines killing SBH left and right.

However, at some point people started placing mines at random places that made no sense and it took me many minutes to either convince them to remove them or have a mining ban pass. At some point I wasn't able to keep up with the mining madness and eventually the enemy team backdoored with 30/30 mines.

The problem: There is nothing in the game that I can use to track down WHO placed mines, let alone WHERE they have been placed. I have to manually walk to each place to check if mines are missing to alert the team and then spend time figuring out, where these missing mines are placed. We had 20 ppl in the team and like 10 or so were either new players or not communicating at all.

Let me get this out: I'm a big fan of new players, but (a) it should be balanced among teams and (b) we need to find a way to have them play without messing up things. Especially (b) is huge, because they are trying out mines with the absolute best intentions, but are unknowngly messing up stuff, eventually leading to buildings being destroyed.

Maybe have two mine limits, like a "core limit" for base mining (not affected by overmining) and a "ffa limit" for mines everywhere else? This would open up the possibility of having proper mines without restricting the system too much. The time to dectect misplaced mines and the time to fix those mines is huge, sometimes taking up to 1 or 2 minutes to get something fixed that was purely an accident, giving the other team a random advantage that is also nearly impossible to defend against. Killing a building should be a reward for sneaking in or having a plan play out, not pure randomness caused by a new player.

Maybe have two mine limits, like a "core limit" for base mining (not affected by overmining) and a "ffa limit" for mines everywhere else? 

I agree this is a bad issue for new players and its made worse by having so many join now due to exposure fo the Firestorm expansion, I tried to recommend something similar in another recent thread about this very same topic, but it hasn't had much attention or an official response, there's also another thread that dates back over a few years ago speaking about changes to the existing mining system.

It's broken, so don't fix it - this is the mentality we have had for ages!

• Like 1