How friendly is the community when it comes to custom content

Kirby550

Hi everyone it's been a while since I have been on the forums. I am currently working on a huge map pack that features currently 25 maps so I wanted to ask how friendly is the community when it comes to custom maps. I am asking this because this is my first time doing something like this so I wanted to know friendly the community is before I release the map pack when it is all finished.

Any information would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Personally, i love new maps, but i love full servers more. So if i will even see your maps entirely depends on if the server being used has your maps in rotation. I don't know what criteria the devs use for adding maps to the official servers, but it might be worth reaching out to them.

Really though, even if the community was toxic as f!ck toward new maps (which it isn't), would you go to the effort of making 25 maps just to keep them to yourself and not release them?

9 hours ago, Kirby550 said:

I am currently working on a huge map pack that features currently 25 maps

Are the maps made by you or any affiliate from scratch or are they modifications to existing maps or merely just a re-bundle of maps which already exist in the Forum's development section or download section?

Map "packs" have little practical meaning in this game since practically no one uses manual download and installation of maps. Custom maps are decided upon by the server owners, who need to include them in their server's configuration, where map rotation is specified. 

Then they need to set up a web server from which the maps in question would be downloaded to clients. It also has to be configured in a certain way, else downloaders would be stuck at a few KiloBytes per second transfer speed. 

Lastly, there is the issue of shader compilation. For official maps [here: maps which are "bundled" in the base game], the shaders are already built by developers and included as part of the game. With custom maps, each client needs to build their own shader cache, which, depending on the performance of one's CPU may take as much as 5-10 minutes on the first load of the map, which would have most people thinking their game (or PC) has frozen.

I guess if you have the means to properly educate your audience on how to install maps and to not quit while downloads and shader compilation happens, you could, in theory, have such map packs, but as one might see, regrettably it is not exactly a trivial endeavour.

6 hours ago, Cheesemonk said:

Personally, i love new maps, but i love full servers more. So if i will even see your maps entirely depends on if the server being used has your maps in rotation. I don't know what criteria the devs use for adding maps to the official servers, but it might be worth reaching out to them.

Really though, even if the community was toxic as f!ck toward new maps (which it isn't), would you go to the effort of making 25 maps just to keep them to yourself and not release them?

Alright well thank you for the information and since you are interested i will list out all of them

1. Outpost 23 (Unreal tournament 4)

2. Sands (Unreal Tournament 4)

3 LetoPolis (NickTest) (Unreal Tournament 4)

4 BioHazard (Unreal Tournament 4)

5 Final Destination (Spacer) (Unreal Tournament 4)

6 Focus (Unreal Tournament 4)

7 Deck 4 (Unreal Tournament 4)

8 Deck 2077 (Unreal Tournament 4)

9 Underland (Unreal Tournament 4)

10 Battlefield X (Cannon) (Unreal Tournament 4)

11 Outpost 23 in 2050 (Unreal Tournament 4) you will need a good computer to run this smoothly by the way

12 Morbias (Unreal Tournament 4)

13 Kanji/Highrise Krunker.io

14 Chill (Unreal Tournament 4)

15 Facing Worlds TDM (Unreal Tournament) 

16 Facing Worlds C&C (Unreal Tournament)

17 Dry Docks (Uncharted 3)

18 Night Sands (Unreal Tournament 4)

19 Outpost 23 Night (Unreal Tournament 4)

20 Final Destination X4( I call it this only because of the fact that it has already three editions of the map that are already made. (Unreal Tournament 4)

21. BioHazard Night (Unreal Tournament 4)

22 Night Chill (Unreal Tournament 4)

23. Finanical TDM (Kane and Lynch 2)

24 Finanical C&C (Kane and Lynch 2)

25 Outpost 23 in 2050 Night (Unreal Tournament 4)

These are all the maps that have been completed some maps need updating such as Facing Worlds but most of them are now completed and need to be optimzed for future versions of Renegade X.

54 minutes ago, limsup said:

Are the maps made by you or any affiliate from scratch or are they modifications to existing maps or merely just a re-bundle of maps which already exist in the Forum's development section or download section?

Map "packs" have little practical meaning in this game since practically no one uses manual download and installation of maps. Custom maps are decided upon by the server owners, who need to include them in their server's configuration, where map rotation is specified. 

Then they need to set up a web server from which the maps in question would be downloaded to clients. It also has to be configured in a certain way, else downloaders would be stuck at a few KiloBytes per second transfer speed. 

Lastly, there is the issue of shader compilation. For official maps [here: maps which are "bundled" in the base game], the shaders are already built by developers and included as part of the game. With custom maps, each client needs to build their own shader cache, which, depending on the performance of one's CPU may take as much as 5-10 minutes on the first load of the map, which would have most people thinking their game (or PC) has frozen.

I guess if you have the means to properly educate your audience on how to install maps and to not quit while downloads and shader compilation happens, you could, in theory, have such map packs, but as one might see, regrettably it is not exactly a trivial endeavour.

Well most of them are made from scratch but there are few maps that use vanilla assets such as Chill uses the Under map and Outpost 23 Firestorm uses Dust combined together including the graphical effects that I have orignally used for outpost 23 I created this map because of the fact that I was really excited about the new Firestorm trailer. Other than that most of the maps were made from scratch. Some of these maps are quite laggy due to the intense amount of assets and graphical effects that they use and unfortunately i am not fully able to complete the lighting on most of these maps(although they still look good) due to the fact that my laptop only has 4GB of RAM so it is extremely limited in terms of the amount of lighting that it can build.

Alright I guess from your information I will have to release them separately. Thank you for the information though

11 minutes ago, StoneD said:

Have you attempted to open these in RenX yet? Maps from UE4 are not the same for UDK. They are not cross compatible and do not use the same packaging system.

No these maps are remakes that are made from UDK basically the same editor that Renegade X uses.

By the way editor version i am using for Renegade X is outdated but regardless still works for Renegade X

Edited by Kirby550

14 hours ago, Cheesemonk said:

I am going to provide screenshots so that you know what the maps look like in better detail. I will create a new forum based on all 25 maps created by me.

Edited by Kirby550

On 7/30/2020 at 9:38 AM, Sakura said:

Have you attempted to open these in RenX yet? Maps from UE4 are not the same for UDK. They are not cross compatible and do not use the same packaging system.

I am going to upload the screenshots of all of the Unreal Tournament 4 maps that I have made tommorow. Just so you guys can see what they look like in RenX.