How I think this game can be improved

Guest Sc0rpioN

Guest Sc0rpioN

Dear devs, this post sure is a long time coming.

First let me introduce myself. I'm a C&C player since 1999 and every single game up until RA3 has had a special place in my heart. My favorite game is definitely Tiberian Sun as it was the first one i played and also has the best mods like Twisted Insurrection which is just amazing. I played the original Renegade around it's release time and discovered Renegade X in 2015 and have been playing it on and off since and have been more active in the game recently. I started playing under the name "MaL0" but now I have returned to my original nickname. These 3 things is what I have gathered through my experience that is absolutely needed for your game to become thoroughly enjoyable.

- Remove Sydney/Raveshaw or change their Primary Weapon -

I'm not gonna lie. I play this game mainly for tank battles. So perhaps you would say I'm biased. But no, the way I see it Sydney and Raveshaw should never have been part of the game. They are imbalanced by design. Being so much harder to hit than a vehicle target, and the way they can be exploited by going on hills where the only way you can retaliate is by hitting a headshot which is near impossible on such a fast moving target. Why is it that it never feels so HOPELESS to fight against a Gunner or Laser Chaingunner as a tank than a Sydney/Raveshaw? It just sucks driving an Artillery around on Under, thinking you have field control, only to find out there are Sydneys ON THE VEHICLE PATH that can destroy your vehicle in like 2 shots that you can do nothing against, and also the way Raveshaws can just eat away at Mammoth Tanks from an unconquerable position. It literally sucks all the fun out of the game when people start using those soldiers and I know there are people that agree with me on this issue. Surely you can change their weaponry while still having them maintaining the same role like you did Mendoza? I would say give them an anti-tank weapon that doesn't instantly hit the target but has to travel for a little bit, and an anti-infantry weapon/fire mode. It can even be a railgun that just takes a little time to travel and it would feel much more fair and like you have time to react.

- Remove "Buffs" -

This is a later addition that I don't have any fondness for. There's just no way to defend against 20 invincible tanks followed by techs/hots placing C4s on everything. Much like the first one I think this is something that just ruins the experience when otherwise the game was really fun and exciting up until that point. You can't really demand people to "be prepared" in that kind of situation.

- Add Recon Bike to all maps -

It was part of Tiberian Dawn (the game this game is supposed to emulate) and has been a staple in every game the Nod faction has appeared in. Why not Renegade? Is it just that people are that much afraid of change? So far games on Desolation have felt balanced with the Bike and I don't see why they can't be on every map other than "it's not classic Renegade" and "it will ruin the game" which is just nonsense. You really think players of almost 20 years are gonna quit just because of a stupid Bike? People would not even think about it after a few weeks, much like other "drastic changes" that are made to this game.

• Totem Arts Staff

1. 2 shots are exaggerating it unless your vehicle is something such as a humvee, apc or arty. Sydney can also get destroyed with enough cannon fires and I'm pretty sure I never lasted 10 seconds in combat as Sydney myself,  without racking any meaningful kills. Sure I'm not the best player in the game,  but to say that they're imbalanced would be an overstatement. I'd rather give that to Mobius and Mendoza, but I'm just biased at that point

2. First of all,  I never heard of a map which has 20 tanks limit. Second,  the buffs were...  Iirc, part of stalemate breaker,  and it costs 1k Commander Point.  This is where calling out rushes really comes in handy so you can prevent them from assaulting in the first place. If all else fails,  your commander can also counter defence buff to help the repairer

3. Recon bike was just designed and despitr the numerous requests,  the current vehicle roster in Nod still doesn't have the room (from what I see at least) to warrant Recon Bike without causing balance issue against the GDI's own arsenal. So we have no plan for that... Just yet. I'm also talking exclusively about the Classic Crate version.  The TibSun version on the other hand is out of the question : Those vehicles are designed to be OP

• Totem Arts Staff

Infantry are pretty useless in original ren from what I remember, compared to renx anyway, and I like that they play a factor especially against tanks.

The one thing I love about RenX is the veh v inf combat. A vehicle shouldn't win in any engagement just because it's a vehicle. A team needs to play together to win. Have some snipers killing reps and anti inf, have tanks and anti inf tanks killing tanks and hitting buildings, have reps doing reps... tunnel inf/building rushes go in tuns. EMPs being on infantry only is intentional at this point, and it works out quite well. The best thing against a tank is best countered by another infantry unit. APCs and Buggy/Humvee also wreck flak armour, but their weapon range is questionable if they're trying to kill a distant anti tank inf.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sarie said:

Infantry are pretty useless in original ren from what I remember, compared to renx anyway, and I like that they play a factor especially against tanks.

The one thing I love about RenX is the veh v inf combat. A vehicle shouldn't win in any engagement just because it's a vehicle. A team needs to play together to win. Have some snipers killing reps and anti inf, have tanks and anti inf tanks killing tanks and hitting buildings, have reps doing reps... tunnel inf/building rushes go in tuns. EMPs being on infantry only is intentional at this point, and it works out quite well. The best thing against a tank is best countered by another infantry unit. APCs and Buggy/Humvee also wreck flak armour, but their weapon range is questionable if they're trying to kill a distant anti tank inf.

infantry becomes useless in renx with all these nerfs :P  

it's why i still play RenX, cuz there are lot of different ways to play - work as doza/mobi, sak/havoc, gunner/syd/rave/lcg, techie/hotwire, tanks, arties/mrls, stanks, sbhs, each time it's a different gameplay, and if you're good in one it will not mean that u can be good to others. As example, last time i've played as tank i accidentally stuck my med in harvester, and we stuck a mammoth behind us :D - on XMountain, so.. imagine everyone spamming their horn cuz the road traffic is totally stopped by a retard who can't go in a straight line for at least one second :D 

but i'm a bit better as infantry (!rec my luck !noob my 30 fps)

It's a balancing act. A vehicle has the speed and above all sustained firepower to lay waste to buildings from outside with relative ease. Where infantry needs to reload and can be sniped, shot, exploded or crushed the vehicles in this game can stay in the fight longer and keep a continuous barrage of attacks going. This balances vulnerability, firepower, sustainability, speed and size against each other pretty well and makes sure that tanks need infantry and infantry need tanks. That's especially important when your pretty cheap Arty goes up against the most expensive infantry units and you actually still stand a chance of winning that fight. If anything vehicles are the most important in destroying bases, with APC's being a necessity in many cases to ferry infantry to their destination if you are assaulting a base with the defenses still online.