Respawntime Evolution

RypeL

I dont think we are making the most of the respawntime atm. Atm it just increases from a min of i think 3 seconds to a max of 8 seconds based on elapsed game time.

However it doesent take into account number of players or player veterancy.

I think the system would be better off factoring in both and i would like to know what you think.

Suggestion:

• Scale respawntime based on playercount. So if theres just like 6 players respawntime should be lower and shouldnt even go up to the current 8 seconds max. With 64 players the game could benefit from higher respawntime though i feel as it would reduce the players on the field a bit. I would suggest a respawntime scaling factor of like 0.1 at 0 players and 1.0 at 64 players. So that it would be just a linear scaling.
  • Additonally i would suggest to scale respawntime based on veterancy level. Meaning a heroic would have a higher respawntime then a veteran etc. This would serve two things:
    • Killing a higher level player gives you a bigger reward and some good kills could make your team come back more easily
    • If everyone is heroic and the game drags on everyone having a bit higher respawntime should result in good rushes with good kills meaning more and beeing more likely to end the game. So scaling respawn time based on veterancy could i think help ending like 64 player stalemates or stomps more timely

I would be happy to hear about your honest oppinions. This would be increadibly easy to implement so if we could come to terms we could add this in the next patch without problems.

• Like 1

The question is not about who doesent want to wait. Ofcourse noone really wants to wait. But, like other games that have respawntimes, they are there for a reason and for the bigger picture, for balancing and for ending games timely. Its a strategy game with progression and not just a deatmatch shooter.

• Like 4

• Totem Arts Staff

I like the idea of scaling with player rank and playercount.

However, I could see players really not liking that idea because it would mean higher skilled players are punished more often (maybe).

One thing that makes Ren-X fun is the frantic pace of play at times. The question is, when you kill someone and they come right back for revenge 10 sec later... should that changed? 

I think an advantage to adding more scaled respawn timings would add more strategy... eg. If i know I kill a heroic player, they won't be able to get back into their position for maybe ~20 sec... that sounds like no time at all, but alot of things can happen in just a few seconds in a high player Renegade match

Edited by roweboat

11 hours ago, RypeL said:
  • Killing a higher level player gives you a bigger reward and some good kills could make your team come back more easily
  • If everyone is heroic and the game drags on everyone having a bit higher respawntime should result in good rushes with good kills meaning more and beeing more likely to end the game. So scaling respawn time based on veterancy could i think help ending like 64 player stalemates or stomps more timely

Sounds good to me

15 hours ago, RypeL said:

Killing a higher level player gives you a bigger reward and some good kills could make your team come back more easily

can you count how much time you've been alive? like if you're dead 1 min after spawned: bad. if you're killed 15 mins after spawned: good.
what about score or killstreak? maybe it can be took in consideration too :) players with high score or players who can killstreak without died are useful - if you don't die, enemy team will not have VP from you 😛     

9 hours ago, Reivax said:

can you count how much time you've been alive? like if you're dead 1 min after spawned: bad. if you're killed 15 mins after spawned: good.

hmmm ... maybe. But this could lead to too much of a disadvantage for new players i feel.

15 hours ago, RypeL said:

hmmm ... maybe. But this could lead to too much of a disadvantage for new players i feel.

hmm yea it's the problem

i'm thinking.. is it really an interesting idea to increase cooldown time? when a cruise come to our tanks and all our healers are killed, we must quickly have healers back, and it already takes lot of time to walk to the frontline.. it's probably not necessary to increase this time :) 

we must have players to hold the line - like imperial guardsmen - and if they are waiting cuz respawn time.. i feel it will be a problem
especially when you play against skilled ppl who plays together as squad, and you haven't "squads" in your team, you're shoot a few shots but cuz 1v3 you will spend more time to be killed or to go back to your buildings to respawn when enemies have rep tools to heal themselves.. don't add frustration by increasing respawn time, wait 5 seconds every mins is already sufficient :ayaya: 
eeeeerh why we haven't ayaya on forums? 😭

oh and.. i agree on a point: cooldown is not really a problem on small maps like Field or Walls or Islands.. but it will be more long to wait on Daybreak, Desolation, Eyes, etc.. because you already spend mins from your base to join the battle cuz these maps are already huge, i will probably not enjoy to wait more longer than now ^_^
and when i turn on Eiji Kuinbii, i can't stop run everywhere

My proposition is also suggesting lowering the current respawntime in some situations like low player count. In like a 20 player game one could argue that respawntime should be lowered or removed completly. But for 64 player matches that turn into a stalemate and dont want to end it is a different story.

• Like 1